Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bisingular

Lairian
Hello everyone,

I’m a fairly new sphynx owner, but not a new cat owner.

In about the last week my 10mo sphynx Cynder has developed a rash on the top of her head and back of her neck. It’s tiny bumps that are her skin colour and sometimes pink. There are some on her head that are a bit scabby but I’m not sure whether that’s the rash or from us scratching her head and irritating it. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her, she’s not been scratching at it or cleaning it excessively. I put some coconut oil on it a couple of hours ago, so we’ll see if that helps.

Having read through a number of threads on skin conditions, I’m guessing it’s an allergic reaction to something. I read the SphynxLair common skin conditions post and nothing seems to fit this. The only thing we’ve recently changed is her litter. We went from World’s Best (tracked everywhere!!) to Swheat Scoops. I know wheat can be an allergen to these cats, so it’s my best guess.

I’m not sure whether I should just wait it out for a few days, or switch up litters again (if this even is an allergic reaction). Any information would be appreciated, or experience with Swheat Scoops litter or this kind of rash. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150225_134135[1].jpg
    IMG_20150225_134135[1].jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_20150225_134130[1].jpg
    IMG_20150225_134130[1].jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20150225_134114[1].jpg
    IMG_20150225_134114[1].jpg
    71 KB · Views: 453

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm interested to hear what others say about this. My boy has had a milder version of these little bumps on a few past occasions (not as pink). They came and went, even when he was eating the same thing and using the same litter, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc. I thought maybe it had something to do with frequency/infrequency of bathing.....???

bisingular

Lairian
I'm interested to hear what others say about this. My boy has had a milder version of these little bumps on a few past occasions (not as pink). They came and went, even when he was eating the same thing and using the same litter, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc. I thought maybe it had something to do with frequency/infrequency of bathing.....???

We generally bathe her every 10-14 days (just depends on how dirty she gets). I try to let it go as long as possible (I'd let it go a month, but my fiance doesn't like it when she's dirty).

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you haven't changed anything else at all, just, the litter. I would say that could be it.
Or they can develop a food allergy, even if you haven't changed it. I would switch back to worlds best cat litter
since that's what you used and had no problems. See if that makes a difference.
WBCL, is very bad about causing yeast infections. But, since your baby done well on it. I would switch back.
That might rule everything else out.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't changed anything else at all, just, the litter. I would say that could be it.
Or they can develop a food allergy, even if you haven't changed it. I would switch back to worlds best cat litter
since that's what you used and had no problems. See if that makes a difference.
WBCL, is very bad about causing yeast infections. But, since your baby done well on it. I would switch back.
That might rule everything else out.
I agree with @Hairless Blessing - switch back and see if that is the issue.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@bisingular, awh Poor baby ...I would also switch back litter or or perhaps try Dr Elseys precious cat unscented clumping in the blue bag- I buy the 40 lb on line - free shipping
It has been well received by many kitties-
Please keep us updated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 393

bisingular

Lairian
Hey everyone, just thought I'd give you an update.
I wanted to see whether Cynder's rash would improve over a couple days if I continued using coconut oil on it, but over the past two days it's grown a bit worse, and has spread to the other side of her face and it's visible in her head wrinkles. :( I got a bag of Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious Cat because of it's hypoallergenic-ness, instead of World's Best (I seriously can't stand the tracking with that one) this evening and have switched over. I'm really hoping this clear this up. :(
I'll keep you updated and if this persists for more than a week or gets really bad I'll be taking her to the vet.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@bisingular ,
Keep us posted!perhaps skip the coconut oil if it seems to spread.
I dont use coconut oil so not sure if it clogs skin?
Has the vets office made any suggestions?

Have you changed food dishes? Some kitties React to plastic dishes
I miss the cute patterns of plastic but now only use stainless dishes

My adoptee came with two prescription creams I keep on hand.
My other adoptee came with a big Now Brand L-Lysine for immune booster
Many of us give daily

But as an over the counter skin non toxic product I use vetericyn spray- ** not around eyes
I spray onto a round flat cosmetic pad and dab any skin areas like belly heat rash
I buy online at PetRx direct. I got the big bottle at the same cost as a small bottle at local store.
I also love the Hylyt shampoo..

If it is getting worse I would definitely give a call to the vet
(( healing hugs)) looking forward to good news updates

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

bisingular

Lairian
@YodaMom

Thank you for the info! :)

We've been using a stainless food dish and plastic pet fountain since we got her in December. I clean both regularly, so I'm not concerned about bacteria growth on either of those.

Cynder came to us with a bit of a cold, so I was giving her 500mg of L-Lysine a day until that cleared up. She's been fine without it since then, so I don't think I'll give it to her daily, just if she has a flare-up.

I was doing some serious thinking yesterday and the only other thing we've changed recently is the wipes we're using. We have an unscented, alcohol free pack, so I assumed it would be fine since they're meant for sensitive skin. Is there a preferred brand of wipes for sphynxes? Or certain criteria that should be met for wipes?

I've seen Hylyt mentioned frequently here. We're using an all natural Aveeno baby wash, and that's not disagreed with her thus far. We're giving her a bath tonight. I'm wondering if dust from the Swheat scoops got onto the coconut oil on her head and caused a reaction from sticking there, maybe causing the pinkish in her head wrinkles.

Anyways, we'll see what happens over the next few days and I'll update mid-week. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@bisingular , please give pretty Cynder head kisses from me!
I used teunscented huggies natural care for nails.
Lots of folks use the pampers unscented or any of the unscented alcohol free on sale-
For skin I make up a pitcher of warm water and a teeny drop of Hylyt shampoo mixed in- then I use Carter's baby face clothes -( I like the nice sewn edges - I try to find 100% cotton baby face cloths-but most are blends-stored in the empty baby wipes container ) I dip clothes , wring out and do body wipe downs between baths- I pat dry with the other face clothes and toss in the wash- With no fabric softner or dryer sheets which can be a culprit too

The Hylyt mix between baths works better for my crew of 4
They make a spray but I figure it is like my mix :)
No skin issues with this routine- and my Claire bare has lots of wrinkles

Hope all will improve soon!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The HyLyt shampoo, is the greatest. I use baby wash cloths with
warm water and wipe Izmae down from head to toes between baths.
See if stop using the wipes and Dr. Elsey' s helps. Let us know.

bisingular

Lairian
I changed the litter Saturday night. I am amazed how quickly her rash has cleared up! It's like night and day, I started seeing improvement by Sunday evening. It's still healing, but there hasn't been anymore spreading, and the redness has gone right down. Cynder obviously has an allergy to wheat, which I'm sad to have found out the hard way, but very happy to know. She's looking so much better! Thank you everyone for your concern and support! :) <3

CharmCat

Lairian
My kitty is having the same problems only much worse than your pictures! I've been switching everything: the dog's food to grain free, the detergent to Tide free and gentle, using sensitive skin baby wash, and consulting with 2 different vets!:dead: I'm thinking of switching her litter, I use Blue Buffalo Herbal Attraction - a walnut based litter. I even considered her having a heat rash and used calamine lotion only on her head. So far she doesn't look as itchy but the bumps are still there :/ With my luck, she could be allergic to my dog:shifty:

Nigelthomas

Lairian
My kitty is having the same problems only much worse than your pictures! I've been switching everything: the dog's food to grain free, the detergent to Tide free and gentle, using sensitive skin baby wash, and consulting with 2 different vets!:dead: I'm thinking of switching her litter, I use Blue Buffalo Herbal Attraction - a walnut based litter. I even considered her having a heat rash and used calamine lotion only on her head. So far she doesn't look as itchy but the bumps are still there :/ With my luck, she could be allergic to my dog:shifty:
what was it? were you able to the make rash go away???

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
what was it? were you able to the make rash go away???

@Nigelthomas that member that you are asking what it was, etc. hasn't been active on here since a few days after that post which was a very long time ago. I'm sure you read how the other member that made this thread cleared up the skin issue (by changing kitty litter).

You are such a good sphynx mommy trying to find answers for your baby. Hugs!

Back