Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rash on stomach and in armpits

IzzyG

Lairian
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Our cat is almost a year old. He started getting a rash on his stomache and his arm pits a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to bother him. It sometimes goes away but then it also flares up out of no where. We haven't changed anything so we are uncertain what it is. We thought it might have been from the grass but we elimated that. Just seeing if anyone has had anything similar.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 12

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@IzzyG seems like something that is coming in contact with the bottom of him is causing this reaction. Since you mentioned grass, he obviously goes outside. Is the grass treated with anything (weed killer, pesticide, etc.)? Are you using Smart Cat Kitty Litter made from grass?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If nothing else has changed in litter, detergents, shampoos, food, or using google dryer sheets etc, like you mentioned,then I agree either something from outside, or perhaps heat rash or you might not be rinsing fully could be other possibilities that I can think of. What a cutie!

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your naked is adorable! Love the expression in the first pic.

A few of us are currently dealing with various allergies in our Sphynx babies right now.

Min has a rash on her tummy and under arms/legs triggered by allergies. I had her allergy tested and she's sadly allergic to so many trees. Thankfully she's not allergic to food. At the moment we have Min on Atopica (it takes about a month to really kick in, and we're only 2 weeks in) and antihistamines as needed (once every couple days). I also use a special shampoo.

Finding the source of the allergy is always a pain. @Toa and Ross has been trying to suss out what her Toa is allergic to. @Hairless Blessing has her naked on a treatment plan. I've only been on the 'Lair for a couple years now but it seems allergies seem to be more of a pervasive problem now than a couple years ago.

Keep us updated. But definitely a visit to the vet would be the first step.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
View attachment 69801 View attachment 69802 View attachment 69804 Our cat is almost a year old. He started getting a rash on his stomache and his arm pits a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to bother him. It sometimes goes away but then it also flares up out of no where. We haven't changed anything so we are uncertain what it is. We thought it might have been from the grass but we elimated that. Just seeing if anyone has had anything similar.View attachment 69801View attachment 69802

Oh my, I believe your baby has allergies.
To what? Who knows. It could be a few things or multiple
things.
The best thing to do is to take him to your Vet ask for them to
draw blood for allergy testing.
Ask for it to be tested for foods and inhalents.

That will cover everything. You can wreck, your brain, change
everything and nothing helps. All the time your baby is still
suffering. You wasted time and money.

I took Izmae as soon as her belly became chapped and she started throwing up to.
She started obsessively licking. I had the allergy test done.
Wow, the things she is allergic too. I'm glad I didn't wait.
I did try to change food, used a ointment. But, seen quickly that
Wasn't going to work. So I took her on to the Vet.
Here is a link I posted about her allergy journey.
She is excellent now. Just like nothing was ever wrong.
Izmae's allergies journey

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@IzzyG welcome to sphynxlair! What a handsome and adorable boy you have. Love the way he looks on the first pic. What is his name?

As @Xandria says there are more sphynxes dealing with allergies. My boy Toa has it too. He probably has hay fever (still testing). He loves to play in the garden. It sounds like your boy also plays outside. Am I correct? Cause it is the hay fever season so it could be he is allergic to this kind of things. Then again you say you already know it's not the grass so probably you hold him inside the house for a while.
It's always difficult to find out what is causing the allergic reaction. You can go to the vet to get a bloodtest.
Hope you find out what he is allergic too. Please let us know!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 69801 View attachment 69802 View attachment 69804 Our cat is almost a year old. He started getting a rash on his stomache and his arm pits a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to bother him. It sometimes goes away but then it also flares up out of no where. We haven't changed anything so we are uncertain what it is. We thought it might have been from the grass but we elimated that. Just seeing if anyone has had anything similar.View attachment 69801View attachment 69802
Here is a good post on skin conditions, there may be something in here you overlooked - Sphynx Skin Conditions :)