Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rash on stomach/face, please help!

Peridot

Lairian
We've had our sphynx for about a year and for the last 6 months she has had this reoccurring rash on her stomach, armpits, and face. The vet has tried countless things, such at antibiotic shots, oral antibiotics, ringworm testing, prescription shampoo, a hydrolyzed diet, etc. She continually gets yeast infections in her ears, and the rash turns into a skin infection easily that we have to treat with antibiotics. At this point, the vet would like to do a full allergy panel and have her on allergy meds indefinitely. We're at a loss and thought maybe some of you could offer expertise. The rash is very dry and feels rough and thick; she licks it a lot and scratches her face so that it bleeds. We've tried lotions and oils as well. Her ears always have some yeast, we have treated her with trezaderm probably 4-5 times and it never clears it up completely; the vet said it's likely not going away because she's in constant contact with her allergens.

Any advice?

Attachments

• 20200329_180553.jpg
    20200329_180553.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200329_181414.jpg
    20200329_181414.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 83

Sheldon13

Staff member
It looks like there is a melanistic component to the rash. But you say it cones and goes and is responsive to treatment? Have you tried a low dose steroid? And I’m wondering if she should be on an oral antifungal. The trezaderm might not be enough.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Staff member
Have you tried changing the litter? What litter do you use?

Peridot

Lairian
It looks like there is a melanistic component to the rash. But you say it cones and goes and is responsive to treatment? Have you tried a low dose steroid? And I’m wondering if she should be on an oral antifungal. The trezaderm might not be enough.

It went away completely once after we did two antibiotic shots and trezaderm, and changed her bowls from plastic to stainless steel. It came back maybe 3 weeks later. It looks better or worse randomly, we can't figure out a cause. She's been on the same litter and food since she was a kitten, with the exception of the recent hydrolyzed food/treats. We use Tidy Cats Instant Action. I wondered if it was fungal but the vet said no; I'm not sure what her reasoning was. Vet thinks it gets worse when certain pollens are high, and I noticed that her nose gets stuffy if we have our windows open. I just haven't found anywhere an allergic reaction that looks like this, so I'm not sure :/

Peridot

Lairian
Also, the prescription shampoo is Douxo Chlorhexidine, and I just remembered the vet said it addresses fungal bacteria. We bathe Peridot with it weekly and also clean her ears with epi-otic. Up until the food trial we brushed her teeth every night. Not sure how much of that is relevant!

Sheldon13

Staff member
If the vet doesn’t think it’s fungal then why are they prescribing antifungals? That’s strange to me. If it’s allergies then it is an immune response and a round of steroids would help. Low dose is best with cats.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Also I love the name you chose. For her eye color I’m guessing?

Peridot

Lairian
If the vet doesn’t think it’s fungal then why are they prescribing antifungals? That’s strange to me. If it’s allergies then it is an immune response and a round of steroids would help. Low dose is best with cats.

The anti fungal properties of the shampoo are just one thing it does, it also has fatty acids that are supposed to rebuild damaged skin and it's antibiotic to help prevent the rash from getting infected. I think the vet was also trying to placate me since I was afraid it was fungal. I will ask her about steroids and see what she says! Thanks for that suggestion. And we named her after a character from Steven Universe, we just got lucky on her eye color!! Thanks so much it definitely suits her!

Attachments

• 20191028_170401.jpg
    20191028_170401.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 108