Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rash!!!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good Afternoon Everyone ...

It's been .. well a long time .. since I posted last. It';s good to be back!

My Elfie has had a rough month. We are now on rash number TWO and they have been pretty invasive rashes. They seem to only show on her belly and under her arms/legs. The first time we rushed into the vet he confirmed it looked like an allergic reaction and gave her a shot of benadryl and she cleared up right away.

Now she's had a rash for a few days and I've been giving her liquid benadryl at home twice a day. It had started to clear up and so I stopped the meds only to wake up this morning to start her back on the meds again!

I'm very strict with the products I use in the house. I haven't changed any of my cleaning or bath products. The issue is that we moved about 2 months ago so I cant say for sure there isn't something left in the house that is causing it.

I also now have my step children living with us half the time and I cant say what type of laundry soap they are using at their moms house as well has they use different bath products.

I have been using the same litter for a year with no issues. My girls also eat raw and I've been using the same company for coming up on 4yrs now.

I truly don't know where to start looking for the culprit!!

Elfie1.jpg
Elfie2.jpg
Elfie3.jpg

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch poor little girlie! I have no experience with rashes myself. Hoping other members with experience will chime in. Sending healing vibes to miss Elfie :kiss:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Where are her most visited places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch, poor thing.
This isn't going to help you right now, but maybe in future...
Narrowleaf Plantain Salve and how to make it

I swear by this stuff. It's safe for cats, humans, any creature. It is AWESOME for skin problems, soothes / eliminates itching and it's antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory. I don't think you can buy it, but it's very easy to make. (Step by step in the post I linked) Just a little effort needed to pick the leaves, really. Beeswax/Vaseline can be had in most stores that stock natural ingredient stuff. Same with (pure) lavender oil. (Not the oil burner stuff!)
There is no danger if they lick at it, it's all natural, non-toxic ingredients.
I mainly make it for the winter months, when I have no access to the fresh leaves. But I also use it on Oz's tail, because he rubs it badly otherwise.

However, for the short term... If that stuff (Broad or Narrowleaf Plantain - both have the same properties) is growing *anywhere* near you -- go out and pick a few handfuls. Wash, and throw them in a blender and turn them to mush. (A mortar and pestle works too, as long as it pulls out the juice and makes the leaves mushy.)
Rub that mush on the rash, make sure the juice gets on all of it. Don't wipe it off, just lightly rub it on. It's not going to aggravate it, but it will soothe the inflammation and reduce itching.
Apply several times. It might just clear it up. :)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
P.S. It looks like something she's lying on, so I'd start there for the cause.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yea it's really only showing on her chest and belly, so I was thinking the same. She has to be laying on something that is adjudicating her.
My other sphynx is fine thankfully, but it just makes the whole thing that much harder to figure out.

I'm going to wash all the linens in the house this weekend and see if that helps

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MelissaAlice yay your back!!!!:). Missed you.

Ooh poor Elfie! If I saw it well on fb you just moved to another house am I right? I now Elfie is sensitive for stress/new situation. Can it be stress for her getting used to the new situation?
Or maybe you have new furniture or a new carpet/new wooden floor that's treated with a special product she's allergic to?

Think about all the new things in your home so maybe you can find what can be causing the rash.

Sending healing vibes to Elfie!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's driving me crazy that I'm in a new house so it could be ANYTHING that is causing this!!
It seems to be calming down and we are down to one dose of the benadryl a day now.

I hate when my babies are uncomfortable and I cant help them :arghh: