Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw and supplements question

ZeldaDad

Lairian
Hi all,

New Sphynx owner, and our girl had some skin issues once we got her. He face and ears were bothering her, and she kept cleaning herself to the point of damaging her skin. She'd have scabs on her head and her forearms. We switch to raw from the pet store, little cartons of duck meat, but they aren't cheap. It really helped, she's all clear now. We have a store called Furball's Choice that sells natural, raw pet food. I'm thinking of trying some Rabbit, Kangaroo, and Duck for her, but the meats contain only Muscle Meat, Bone & Organ. Is there an all-in-one supplement or anything that would avoid me buying a bunch of products for her? Alternatively what would be MOST important for me to add to her diet?

Thanks!

xKB8hkN.jpeg

Grizou

Lairian
I had some diet issues with Grizou. I switched to Stella and Chewy Duck. It's very expensive but my dear loves it! He's doing so well that I'm hesitant changing his food to something more affordable. I'm trying Nulo duck now but it's not doing so well. I also tried Ziwi lamb....I had to run it through the blender for him to eat it!! So, I'm really still on Stelly and Chewy!! Any ideas on limited protein duck? Thank you!

Last edited:

VolkoSimone

Lairian
I had some diet issues with Grizou. I switched to Stella and Chewy Duck. It's very expensive but my dear loves it! He's doing so well that I'm hesitant changing his food to something more affordable. I'm trying Nulo duck now but it's not doing so well. I also tried Ziwi lamb....I had to run it through the blender for him to eat it!! So, I'm really still on Stelly and Chewy!! Any ideas on limited protein duck? Thank you!
We get the Stella and chewy duck raw blend kibble which is way more affordable than the freeze dried raw - our 3 go through them really quickly but we mix the two together. They love it and no issues with tummy etc.

Grizou

Lairian
No issues with Stella too. He loves the duck flavour too. Thanks for the advice, I'll mix the two. :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Commercially available products are a good option. However, there are supplements you can add if you’d like to your own mix. The most important thing is that you get the right balance of muscle meat/bone/organ. That being typical around an 80/10/10 blend (half the organ should be liver). The latest school of thought is that added supplements are unnecessary if you have provided a balanced diet. But if you are unsure, it does not hurt to add them. You can learn a lot more about raw diets here: StackPath

I also believe @Xandria may have some literature she can share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grizou

Lairian
Commercially available products are a good option. However, there are supplements you can add if you’d like to your own mix. The most important thing is that you get the right balance of muscle meat/bone/organ. That being typical around an 80/10/10 blend (half the organ should be liver). The latest school of thought is that added supplements are unnecessary if you have provided a balanced diet. But if you are unsure, it does not hurt to add them. You can learn a lot more about raw diets here: StackPath

I also believe @Xandria may have some literature she can share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you. Making my own mix would be ideale especially if he could eat chicken. However, duck is a bit too complicated and time consuming! IHowever, I'm happy to read about homemade food!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey there.

I have been feeding protein plus a mix in for nearly 8 years. I use Better in the Raw, which is made in BC!! Great product.

I have a link and more information on the attached!

PS: nice to see so many Canadians here!

Attachments

• RawCatFoodInformation-v2.4.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 5

Grizou

Lairian
Hey there.

I have been feeding protein plus a mix in for nearly 8 years. I use Better in the Raw, which is made in BC!! Great product.

I have a link and more information on the attached!

PS: nice to see so many Canadians here!
Hi!
Thank you for the link and info. Raw for cats isn't easy to find here in Québec especially when my cat can't eat chicken!
Susan