Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw diet and senior rescue!

fatboysmom

Lairian
I recently rescued an older guy he’s about 12 and he’s missing a few teeth that had to be removed. I know he was previously fed 9lives (which I know is awful) but I’m trying to slowly change to a higher quality wet food. But my main question is since he’s 12 and he does get an upset stomach should I even try introducing raw? I really want him to be the healthiest he can and he’s just not keeping on weight. Please help

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Bless you for rescuing that baby. Changing foods normally can upset stomachs. Being as he is a senior and not keeping weight on, I’d suggest a wellness check with a full blood panel if you have not done so already @fatboysmom. If all is clear, I’m not so sure I would go to raw. Cats are creatures of habit and if they are used to canned food, then I’d switch to a higher quality perhaps grain free. The reason I say blood work first is because if there are any signs of kidney issues which is not uncommon in older cats, your vet might say grain free is NOT the way to go because it is higher in protein.

oolahappi

Lairian
Agree with @Catzzzmeow, get a good quality food that the Vet recommends. Best way to switch is to offer both foods in separate bowls, side by side in equal amounts, then slowly change the proportions . . . less of the old, and more of the new, He may have some funky poops during the transition :/ And further, anyone who feeds 9Lives . . . that's equivalent to animal abuse to me :sick:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@fatboysmom congratulations with your new old boy! How wonderful of you adopting him. I agree with a vet check first. Since he was on canned wet food all his life I would see for a good quality wet food to feed him