Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw diet : strict or mix with Dry without grains

LineB

Lairian
Hi, me again:shame:.... at first when I first sigh up the adoption contract for my baby .My breeder has told me that he was feed on Dry food only without grains (Fromm):cat:. Then now , less then 2 weeks before coming home (and that I have bought a 3KG dry food, like she mentioned), she started him on the raw diet and said that he is going crazy over that...:nailbiting:

Now what?:unsure: I can't return my food, and I don't want to cause any health issus with my little man (gastrointestinal, stomach upset, etc.)...:vomit:

Ohhhh man:(, can I do a mix of both, until my bag is empty? or should I switch to mine only or hers? :confused:

Confused and stressed I am!!! :bigtears:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Can imagine your stress. What is the reason your breeder all of the sudden changed the food from dry to raw?

I feed my boys raw food and dry kibbles but...and there is a big but!, that's only possible when you make sure there's always 2-3 hours between your cat eating dry and eating raw foos. It can cause a lot of tummy issues when they eat the raw and dry food together or too soon after. Most vets and breeder will tell you not to feed them both.
I do feed them both cause when I go to the office I stay away for 11 hours. Sphynx needs to eat all day and can't leave raw food out all day. So I feed then dry kibbles during the day and make sure they don't eat kibbles anymore after 3. When I come home I give them raw food.

By the way, a lot of vets are not a fan of raw food at all. So it's important that you give a food you feel okay with.

Natasja

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Like Toa and Ross said you can do both provided the feedings are spread out but you might find the kibble offset some of the benefits of raw, it really depends on the cat and the kibble. For example the main benefit of the raw for owners is that poop is firm and odorless, the added kibble may affect this.

First I would figure out whether you want to feed raw long term. Calculate cost and factor in the preparation required, it may remove that from the equation. Raw feeding is not for everyone (me included, I used to) If he loves raw you could do it as a treat or a small separate meal rather than a main part of his diet.

If you want to do the raw I would try to do full raw and keep the bag of kibble in case it doesn't work out. There is no benefit to doing both at the same time unless you really need to leave something out for them, which is anything more than 10 hours I'd say.

If you're sold on raw and all goes well you could donate the bag of food to a shelter. We have done this with countless tins of food the brats decided they don't like... ;)

LineB

Lairian
Like Toa and Ross said you can do both provided the feedings are spread out but you might find the kibble offset some of the benefits of raw, it really depends on the cat and the kibble. For example the main benefit of the raw for owners is that poop is firm and odorless, the added kibble may affect this.

First I would figure out whether you want to feed raw long term. Calculate cost and factor in the preparation required, it may remove that from the equation. Raw feeding is not for everyone (me included, I used to) If he loves raw you could do it as a treat or a small separate meal rather than a main part of his diet.

If you want to do the raw I would try to do full raw and keep the bag of kibble in case it doesn't work out. There is no benefit to doing both at the same time unless you really need to leave something out for them, which is anything more than 10 hours I'd say.

If you're sold on raw and all goes well you could donate the bag of food to a shelter. We have done this with countless tins of food the brats decided they don't like... ;)
:angelic:Wow, reading your post answered one of my question. My breeder told me last week that Mr Wilson (new baby boy coming home in 9 days) is now on a raw diet, and I ordered for 2 months of food. But before know that , I bought a 2.3 kg bag of no grain kibbles (Fromm). I tried to post it online to sell it, but no luck so far (it's been 3 days since my post ). So I will try to find a shelter and bring them the bag...everyone will be happy, incl me!;)

LineB

Lairian
I finally gave my dry food to a local Rescue cat's shelter...that was the best solution! They were so happy and so do I!