Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw Eyelid

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Simba's eye is taking another beating, third time this year. This time it looks weird. I don't know what's wrong with his poor eyes but every few months they inflame and swell. I attached pictures of what it looks like today. Last time he started sneezing and his eye swelled like the last time he got really sick. I put him back on meds and he was fine. I'm out of meds this time but I am keeping enthromycin ointment on it. Anyone seen this before? I searched the forum but found nothing similar.
He also has some tiny bumps all over his belly, flush in color. I couldn't get a good picture of it. Poor baby is wearing the cone of shame.
uploadfromtaptalk1401980654851.jpg

Attachments

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has he been tested for feline herpes?

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought that maybe, but my other cats are fine. Surely, they would have caught it by now.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh Simba baby - sending healing hugs and hope to hear a vet diagnosis..
Has he had a change of shampoos? Maybe rubbed the ointment in his eyes?
I agree with getting him checked/tested-
Keep us posted

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I thought that maybe, but my other cats are fine. Surely, they would have caught it by now.
I found this... it might fit:

Some cats who become infected with feline herpes are latent carriers. Even though they will never display symptoms, they can still pass the virus on to other cats. Stress can cause these carriers to “shed” the virus, exhibiting mild symptoms, which clear up on their own after a few days.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maybe, I got him from a "backyard breeder" since I hadn't done proper researching. The first time this happened the vet said it was probably a URI. He is due for yearly shots so I was going to bring them in anyways. I'm going to see if it clears up over the weekend. He could have herpes.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Just checking in on Simba.. Sending healing head butts n kisses..

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know a lot about feline herpes, but he fact that it comes and goes does sound like outbreaks.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have some steroid cream of mine (I have dermatitis). I just put a little on. It has scabbed over now, looking better. Looks like he might of rubbed his eyes raw.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless his heart. I would let the Vet see it. Maybe you can find out what
it is. Hope he heals up quickly. Let us know how he's doing and what
You find out.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree get the vet's opinion...please update us....and no matter what...happy healing vibes are sent.

Patti

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Now it is black and scabbing over, not as swollen. I'd say it's healing. Wish I knew what.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, he did well. They gave him more Enthromycin ointment for his eye and a antibiotic shot. He's going back in two weeks. Nala also got her rabies shot while we were there. :) She peeled the scab off when she was checking his eyes out on accident. He's alittle swollen. She said there is no conclusive herpes test for cats. Is that true?

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, he did well. They gave him more Enthromycin ointment for his eye and a antibiotic shot. He's going back in two weeks. Nala also got her rabies shot while we were there. :) She peeled the scab off when she was checking his eyes out on accident. He's alittle swollen. She said there is no conclusive herpes test for cats. Is that true?
I heard from a vet - who knows if it is true though - that the test for feline herpes is not entirely accurate and it is also expensive. Generally, if a cat has more than one URI, or a URI as an adult, they seem to just assume that the cat has herpes and treat accordingly. Simba probably does. Most cats have it, but many cats do not show symptoms.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yea anytime his eye flares up I just put ointment in it. It seems to help. They have an IFRA test and she said it's $160. Plus it's not too accurate. I declined the test.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yea anytime his eye flares up I just put ointment in it. It seems to help. They have an IFRA test and she said it's $160. Plus it's not too accurate. I declined the test.
Does he get ulcers too or just swollen, irritated eyelids?

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just swollen and irritated. No ulcers or anything. We just stained his eye.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just swollen and irritated. No ulcers or anything. We just stained his eye.
Well that's good at least! How old is he now? If he's young, maybe he'll have fewer recurrences of this ad he gets older?

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He's only two. Still pretty young. I hope he outgrows it.