Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw fed cats contracting TB in UK

Gisele

Lairian
Hi guys,

I'm a veterinary nurse in the uk, recently the veterinary industry have been concerned that a number of raw fed house cats in the UK have been diagnosed with TB (tuberculosis). The number has climbed to 6 reported cases so far, however there could be many more non reported cases.
The cats that have been affected are house cats that were fed well known, recommended, DEFRA approved, commercial raw food diets.
I am just here to ask any UK Sphynx parents to keep an eye out and please be careful when feeding raw.

The symptoms of TB in cats are as follows:
'intestinal infection usually results with inflammatory granulomas in the intestine leading to diarrhoea, vomiting, inappetence and weight loss'
'The lymph node swelling may be marked, and sometimes this is the only (or most obvious) sign. As the disease progresses, infection may spread elsewhere, including to the cat's lungs, and so may cause progressive coughing or difficulty breathing. Disease usually progresses slowly, and cats often develop lethargy and weight loss with disseminated infections' - icatcare.org

I'm aware these Symptoms can be present in a non TB infected Sphynx (especially diarrhoea), so please don't panic and just get your little one checked.

This is a relevant news article:
thetimes.co.uk/vetswarncatownersoverrawdiet

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do you have any publicly available documentation yet? It's a little scary if it's coming from the same commercial supplier, but people need to know and facilities should be tested if there is a link. Yikes.

This is why I like making the raw myself. I know what goes into it.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I googled it. The TB is linked to raw beef. All the infected cats have a form of bovine TB.

Here's the crazy part - cattle that has bovine TB is ALLOWED into the human food chain. They said it didn't pose a risk to humans......and I guess nobody bothered to think about pet owners. Here's the link to the story I was reading.
Is eating meat infected with bovine TB harmful?

So basically, stay away from beef. First it was mad cow and now this. Eat anything else.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando -- that so makes me sad! Thanks for the intel!

I'm amazed that a commercial cat food manufacturer would use beef that may be susceptible to mad cow! eeeks.

Gisele

Lairian
I googled it. The TB is linked to raw beef. All the infected cats have a form of bovine TB.

Here's the crazy part - cattle that has bovine TB is ALLOWED into the human food chain. They said it didn't pose a risk to humans......and I guess nobody bothered to think about pet owners. Here's the link to the story I was reading.
Is eating meat infected with bovine TB harmful?

So basically, stay away from beef. First it was mad cow and now this. Eat anything else.

The problem is the way that the meat is produced here allow other meats to come into contact with TB infected beef, some slaughterhouses just put the meats in together/don't change knives for killing. Also the pet food manufacturers probably don't consider cross contamination within their factories either, so if you feed your cat the raw beef diet or not they could still be at risk.
There's also nothing saying that the cats affected were eating strictly beef, so i'd recommend everyone be careful.
It's a scary situation to be in, for everyone... even the poor factory workers that could be coming into contact with TB unknowingly!

Gisele

Lairian
Do you have any publicly available documentation yet? It's a little scary if it's coming from the same commercial supplier, but people need to know and facilities should be tested if there is a link. Yikes.

This is why I like making the raw myself. I know what goes into it.

Not yet, here have only been 6 reported cases so far. At this point we can't legally start naming raw food companies as there isn't enough of a case against them. All I can say is that it's a well known, highly regarded and commercially supplied diet.

The veterinary industry is aware that this is now a real possibility in raw fed dogs and cats, i'm even starting to wonder if i've seen TB infected patients myself as the symptoms are pretty non-specific. It's not something we commonly test for in domestic animals and it's not something that most of us would even consider a possibility in a house cat.

We do however often see salmonella and E coli in raw fed animals here, we had a couple of cats come in a few weeks ago from rescue with antibiotic resistant E coli, and now i'm wondering if they also had TB due to the symptoms they were displaying.

I really just wanted to make sure all of the UK Sphynx parents here were aware, because I would definitely want to know.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando -- that so makes me sad! Thanks for the intel!

I'm amazed that a commercial cat food manufacturer would use beef that may be susceptible to mad cow! eeeks.

Just to clarify there's no mad cow link to cats. I was just saying the UK did have a problem with mad cow disease. That's the kind of thing that should make government much more careful about what goes into the food chain. But what did they do.....allow TB cows into the food chain. This wasn't China; this was the UK where you would think government regulation actually works....

Anyway thank you @Gisele for making us aware. I'm glad I make my cats' food at home.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Not yet, here have only been 6 reported cases so far. At this point we can't legally start naming raw food companies as there isn't enough of a case against them. All I can say is that it's a well known, highly regarded and commercially supplied diet.

The veterinary industry is aware that this is now a real possibility in raw fed dogs and cats, i'm even starting to wonder if i've seen TB infected patients myself as the symptoms are pretty non-specific. It's not something we commonly test for in domestic animals and it's not something that most of us would even consider a possibility in a house cat.

We do however often see salmonella and E coli in raw fed animals here, we had a couple of cats come in a few weeks ago from rescue with antibiotic resistant E coli, and now i'm wondering if they also had TB due to the symptoms they were displaying.

I really just wanted to make sure all of the UK Sphynx parents here were aware, because I would definitely want to know.

Thanks much for the info. Please keep us updated on any new developments.