Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw food and Petting

Janie Evo

Lairian
Hi probably the stupidest question ever but my baby was reared on Raw food and has a rwa meat bone and cartridge fine ground mix.
After he eats it are we safe to pet him as raw food carried bugs ...
Do i have to clean him with soap? So stupid i know but he is licking his paws and trotting round the house eek.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi probably the stupidest question ever but my baby was reared on Raw food and has a rwa meat bone and cartridge fine ground mix.
After he eats it are we safe to pet him as raw food carried bugs ...
Do i have to clean him with soap? So stupid i know but he is licking his paws and trotting round the house eek.
We are not raw feeders, however we do have many here in the community who are and hopefully will chime in, @Xandria would be able to answer this one. :)

Janie Evo

Lairian
I am not sure if i want to keep it up tbh i know little about it but i willbhave a good read up on it and i will keep baby on it for the time been.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just hopped on the net for a moment and saw this. While Max was a kitten I wiped his face after every meal because he would simply get raw food remnants on his chops. Now that he's older he's not as messy but I still wipe on the odd occasion he is messy.

We've never had issues with bacteria. However, one member here for certain ran into issues, so that's not to say it can't happen.

Raw feeding is not for everyone, so don't feel you Need to stick with it.

@Hairless Blessing has great advice for transitioning, and @Catzzzmeow , @Yoda mom , and others have great non raw diet food advice.

Cheers.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I do not trusted myself in going to raw. I fear I would not be able to provide a well balanced diet and fear e-coli or salmonella issues. Hubby and I like to travel and due to jobs/schedules we had to think long term what was best for our crew. We are grain free feeders wet morning and night and dry for grazing during the day. Rule of thumb is buy the best quality food you can afford.

Patti

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, I've actually never thought of that and I feed raw. I just assumed like Tigers and Lions if their immune system is strong enough to handle eating a warm carcus that has baked in the heat then surely cats are pretty immune to salmonella and stuff like that.

Janie Evo

Lairian
Its more that the cat could get the bugs on their paws and jump around the house leaving it all over the place where my little girl.may touch it.
But i think cats fine eating it.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, I've actually never thought of that and I feed raw. I just assumed like Tigers and Lions if their immune system is strong enough to handle eating a warm carcus that has baked in the heat then surely cats are pretty immune to salmonella and stuff like that.

In truth, if people knew how often they were in contact with bacteria that has the potential to make them ill, they'd freak. LOL. There's a reason people often develop some sort of reactive symptoms when eating out at restaurants.

Having said that, some people (young, ill, elderly...) are more prone to falling ill than others, and that's where the issues are. If meat is handled correctly, there should be few to zero issues. Still... best not take chances in some situations.

Just also wanted to add that commercially prepared raw food leaves a huge question mark with respect to bacteria. My personal mantra about food is: know the source. That helps a lot in decision making, food prep etc.

I think I'm rambling. Sorry.

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

In truth, if people knew how often they were in contact with bacteria that has the potential to make them ill, they'd freak. LOL. There's a reason people often develop some sort of reactive symptoms when eating out at restaurants.

Having said that, some people (young, ill, elderly...) are more prone to falling ill than others, and that's where the issues are. If meat is handled correctly, there should be few to zero issues. Still... best not take chances in some situations.

Just also wanted to add that commercially prepared raw food leaves a huge question mark with respect to bacteria. My personal mantra about food is: know the source. That helps a lot in decision making, food prep etc.

I think I'm rambling. Sorry.
That was great information!!! Luckily mine comes from a farm out of Texas so it's not really "commercial" But I have seen some big brand commercial frozen chubs in grocery stores and it seems like those company have recalls every so often.

I also just realized that after Piper eats her raw, she licks herself and then I kiss her.....I need to stop that. lol

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You're probably actually healthier than most people, AND less apt to get sick from food borne illnesses- when you expose yourself to SMALL amounts of weak or dead bacteria, your body can develop immunity. Conversely, if you spray bleach on everything, sanitize your hands a thousand times a day, and over-cook everything to death you are MORE likely to get sick because you never expose your body to any potential infections. We feed raw, buy whole chicken breasts and thighs and grind it ourselves, mix in BitR, and feed. We freeze 2/3 of it so it'll keep (we make 12-16 pounds at a time. We take normal precautions when preparing their food, but nothing special after that.

Just our experience and understanding. Everyone needs to find their own comfort level and stick with it. No two pets are the same, nor are any two homes. Just don't avoid raw because you think it's 'dirty'... Do your research and make an informed decision!

Good luck!!!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You're probably actually healthier than most people, AND less apt to get sick from food borne illnesses- when you expose yourself to SMALL amounts of weak or dead bacteria, your body can develop immunity. Conversely, if you spray bleach on everything, sanitize your hands a thousand times a day, and over-cook everything to death you are MORE likely to get sick because you never expose your body to any potential infections. We feed raw, buy whole chicken breasts and thighs and grind it ourselves, mix in BitR, and feed. We freeze 2/3 of it so it'll keep (we make 12-16 pounds at a time. We take normal precautions when preparing their food, but nothing special after that.

Just our experience and understanding. Everyone needs to find their own comfort level and stick with it. No two pets are the same, nor are any two homes. Just don't avoid raw because you think it's 'dirty'... Do your research and make an informed decision!

Good luck!!!

Very well said. I don't keep anti bacterial soaps etc in the house, except our emergency kit, for that reason. I have a bit of hand washing ocd, but plain simple soap is sufficient.

It's good to remind ourselves that butcher shops etc were not as sanitary as they once we're and people survived.

Back