Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw food how much to feed/brand in UK?

Sekhmet

Lairian
Hi, this is Sekhmet’s mum.
Sekhmet is suffering from the red spots recently again.
I am pretty sure it’s because of the food
She had red spots/rashes when she was eating the dry food then we changed her diet to the raw.
Since then she never had any skin or diarrhoea issues.
She had True instinct raw bite chicken and turkey and salmon for around 7months.
But the brand doesn’t make the cat raw food anymore from February, so she changed her food to Canagan Venison dry food.
And now she is having the skin and diarrhoea problems again.
So I looked at some other cat raw food brand in UK.
I found two brands called ‘Natural Instinct’ and ‘Nutriment’.
But I can’t find the product constituents from the Natural Instinct food.
So, I will prb go for the Nurtriment cat beef formula.

So, does anyone knows these brands and tried before in the UK?
And also wondering how much raw food do you feed your Sphynx babies?

Sekhmet 1and half years old, 4kg and used to eat 180g raw bite.
But the Nutriment feeding guide is 120g for an adult cat (I don’t really trust the feeding guide tho)
I know Sphinx cat eats more than normal cat, but just wondering how much raw food do you feed?
Sekhmet is very greedy, so if I don’t measure her food she could get fat :( but also I don’t want to make her starve because she is quite active.

Please share your story please!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I am not in the UK so I cannot say my personal opinion, but I am in a raw feeding group. And I have heard good things about Nutriment. Have not heard much about the other brand.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sekhmet

Lairian
I am not in the UK so I cannot say my personal opinion, but I am in a raw feeding group. And I have heard good things about Nutriment. Have not heard much about the other brand.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Thank you!
can you tell me how much do you feed your cat a day?
I am still not hundreds percent sure, how much I need to feed her for the raw food :(

Lukassmile

Lairian
I am not in the UK, but I do want to know also how much everyone feeds their adult cats! My kitten basically eats his raw whenever he wants but once he moves on to the adult are I do not want to overfeed.

is there a reason you don’t make your own food? I just made my first batch and it was kinda gross(I’m a farm kid so I would have thought it wouldn’t phase me.... but alas) but wow soo cheap. I made enough for at least a month for less than 15$

Sekhmet

Lairian
I don’t think I can make the complete food :( I mean the nutrition.
and I am not sure if I can keep the equipment really clean like no bacteria kind of

Lukassmile

Lairian
I don’t think I can make the complete food :( I mean the nutrition.
and I am not sure if I can keep the equipment really clean like no bacteria kind of
it seems really daunting I know. do you have a dish washer? I have one currently and its amazing, but I'm about to move into an apartment that will not have one, and I'm slightly nervous but I think I will just do a long soak after I make the meals and try to make larger quantities. I can tell you what I do, and maybe it will be helpful for you. there's an amazing FB group that has a calculator to help you get the right amount of Bone to muscle met to organ meat ratio.

so I have a completely separate knife(clever) cutting board(large and completely plastic) and a stainless steel scale that I cover in plastic wrap. I am using mostly chicken for now, so I use chicken necks that don't need much cutting just a few chops to make into like gumdrop sized portions. chicken liver, and chicken breast(sometimes ill add chicken hearts if I can find them). but I cut everything frozen so I can avoid excess juices oozing beyond the cutting board. once chopped up, I dump everything in a larger plastic storage tub(size will depend on the amount you're making) and I wait a little while for it to defrost so I can mix everything up.

I'm still working on portioning things out in an efficient way for my freezing an meals. I have varying sizes of smaller upperware I am using for the freezer. My Cleveland is still a kitten so he sometimes eats a LOT and sometimes just doesn't eat that much. its hard for me to really portion out what one serving is just yet. once he matures it will be easier to look up healthy serving sizes and weigh it out that way. but until then I'm just keeping one tupperware defrosted in the fridge ideally for no longer than a few days.

also you're welcome to message me if you(or anyone) need any more specific help. I'm in no way a pro and have only made 2 batches so far, but I have found it much less scary and actually kind of fun. I was really nervous to try it but its actually much easier than I thought

Gisele

Lairian
Hi Lovely,

I work in a feline referral vets in the UK and we recommend the brand purrform to our clients, Its a complete raw food, you can get it in pouches.
They have rabbit, chicken, turkey, duck, quail, pigeon, and venison (although I would avoid this as cats don't really eat deer, and there's been a TB issue with deer and beef in some raw food brands).

They recommend feeding between 2-4% of your cats bodyweight per day. 4kg cat = 80 - 160g a day, depends on how hungry the cat is. It's very difficult to make them overweight on raw diets due to the bioavailability of the food, so if you wanted to feed her slightly more than 120g recommended amount it should be fine.

I hope this has helped :)

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How much to feed is a really hard question. Every cat is different not just because of size but also activity level. If you put a gun to my head and make me give you a number, I would have to guess somewhere between 20-35 calories per pound of body weight is what an adult would eat. In kilos it's 45-75 calories per kilo of body weight.

Kittens.....I really have no idea. I adopted my first sphynx when she was 1 year old and she was a vacuum cleaner. I never thought a little cat could eat so much. Back then she was eating triple what she eats now. Yep, triple.