Raw food supplier in UK? | Sphynxlair

Raw food supplier in UK?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cats & Raw Diet' started by ikoiko, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ikoiko

ikoikoLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $666.64
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi everyone.

Only my 2nd post after getting our girl 6 months ago, but in that time this forum has been a wealth of information and confidence building getting to know this wonderful breed. The last 6 moths have been amazing with her. Incredible character and now well and truly part of the family.

Anyhow, my question which is to people living in the UK ... do you have any suggestions for raw food suppliers? Pre-made is my preference.

Bella is now 6 years old and in the 6 months we've had we've changed her diet from 100% over Royal Canin dry kibble that her initial owner had placed her on to Royal Canin Intense Beauty with Gravy (seriously, don't laugh) that she is absolutely mad on. Our cat sitter suggested we moved to at least a mix of wet food and this felt something 'safe' from the same maker. She likes it so much that she's started eating a bit too much and putting on weight ...

I don't know if it's wise to consider changing her diet too much at her age, but her poo is sometimes a little too soft / wet not to mention stinky and reading up benefits for raw on top of really looking after her is to make this a thing of the past. The other factor I can't ignore is the cost of the Royal Canin wet food .. I'm ashamed to say how much it costs a month to feed her 100% on this.

Purrform is one option (I can't add a link to their website) I might try, but before I do I wanted to ask for advice and guidance of buying in the UK. We live in a big apartment and apart from her health and cost stink control is important!

All advice welcome.

Thanks.

She even had food alongside new toys in her Xmas stocking :)

[​IMG]

2. cfc

cfcLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,231.49
    Ratings:
    +105
    • Fish
    natures menu maybe?

naturesmenu.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
    • admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $279,927.75
      Ratings:
      +17,803
      • Pig
      • Venus Fly trap
      • Black Sphynx
      • Skull head
      I believe @Lickleone is from the UK - can't remember if she feeds raw however. There are surely some members from the UK who feed raw, I am sure they will chime in. :)

• Lickleone

LickleoneGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $85,012.70
      Ratings:
      +6,618
      I don't feed raw but I shall ask around and come back to you :)

• Lickleone

LickleoneGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $85,012.70
      Ratings:
      +6,618
      • Like Like x 1
      • ikoiko

ikoikoLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $666.64
        Ratings:
        +13
        Thank you for the suggestions. Appreciate you taking the time to help out - recommendations take a lot of worry out of this process.

I've placed an order with naturesmenu and will next week start the slow and gentle process of trying to move Belle over to raw food.

I'll follow-up with with some notes in a month or two.

• Like Like x 2
        • admin

Sphynx Bucks:
          $279,927.75
          Ratings:
          +17,803
          • Pig
          • Venus Fly trap
          • Black Sphynx
          • Skull head
          Please do, it may help the next UK member in their search for a good quality food! Glad you found some useful answers! :)

• admin

Sphynx Bucks:
          $279,927.75
          Ratings:
          +17,803
          • Pig
          • Venus Fly trap
          • Black Sphynx
          • Skull head
          @ikoiko - not sure if you found a UK raw food supplier - @Helen had mentioned this one.

• Helen

HelenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $1,228.45
          Ratings:
          +108
          • Xmas Wreath
          Thank you for tagging me in.
          The Happy Kitty Company sells imported high quality canned (the majority of the canned food available in the UK is of a questionable standard with low protine % an far to many processes and unnecessary extras not intended for obligatory carnivores) I couldn't tell you about the quality personally as it is my first order.

Pre processed commercial raw with a good reputation are either Natural Instinct or Nutriment I prefer the latter I just find the protine options are limited but I have no qualms about feeding it.

• Helen

HelenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $1,228.45
          Ratings:
          +108
          • Xmas Wreath
          We tried Natures Menu only for the dogs mind you, and I really wasn't keen on the smell of the texture.
          I wouldn't worry about changing her food regardless of her age, althought limited it seemes to me that sphynx cats are foodies and happy to try most things.

I have been feeding raw to obligatory carnivores for three years but only in the last two months to my kitty Moth.
          From my perspective you're definitely making a great move, and the quicker you ditch the kibble the better.
          However it needs to be a cost effective sustainable move, I have a maximum spend of £1 a day this is a very resonable cost for even the most high end canned food.

A feeding plan is really Important when you feed wet or raw.
          Food twice a day at set times (6.30am/6pm here) and stick with portion sizes my cat his 5.4kg and eats 200g (100g per meal) and more and he puts on weight.

Nurtiment do a trial pack of there processed raw which I would highly recommend.
          Natures instinct stock some great treats and bones but I am not overly keen on there minces aside from the organic chicken and tripe options for dogs.

The duck necks, wing tips, dried lambs lung are all great.

I hope the above helps.

• Like Like x 1