Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Arielle

Lairian
Hey Guys! Amadeus (my naked baby) was being a lot more vocal today when I was cleaning his nails and trimming them on a specific paw. When I went to go clean in-between the padding of his back paw (the webbing?) he started meowing really loud (like a cry) and would shake his foot violently. Knowing that this was not typical behavior for him I gently opened his paw and it looks red and inflamed. He gets (as I would imagine all naked babies would) black flakes that I clean out of his paws. This paw looks raw and I know it hurts him. I am thinking about applying coconut oil in it (my solution for almost everything) but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this? are there any other remedies or advice for care? Amadeus is my first naked baby and he just had his birthday this past March so he is 1 year and 3 months old still kind of new to this shin-dig!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Give his paw a 5-minute soak in warm water and see how it looks after that. Cleopatra has ripped a nail off her foot and has gotten a cut on her foot. Both times, the vet had us soak it in a weak Betadyne solution 2x a day. If he has an infection , he may need to see the vet for antibiotics.
I doubt that this has anything to do with your cleaning his paws. We have to do the same with ours, with no problem--it's more likely that he has injured it somehow.

Good luck!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If the paw is red it could be infected. With cats using litter boxes there is even a greater risk of infections getting worse. I would go to a vet since you can tell it is hurting your baby.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey Guys! Amadeus (my naked baby) was being a lot more vocal today when I was cleaning his nails and trimming them on a specific paw. When I went to go clean in-between the padding of his back paw (the webbing?) he started meowing really loud (like a cry) and would shake his foot violently. Knowing that this was not typical behavior for him I gently opened his paw and it looks red and inflamed. He gets (as I would imagine all naked babies would) black flakes that I clean out of his paws. This paw looks raw and I know it hurts him. I am thinking about applying coconut oil in it (my solution for almost everything) but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this? are there any other remedies or advice for care? Amadeus is my first naked baby and he just had his birthday this past March so he is 1 year and 3 months old still kind of new to this shin-dig!

@Arielle sorry Amadeus has a painful paw. Since they don't have lots of fur protecting this area of the paw like a furry cat does, they can get a little injury as they are so active and always into everything. Like others mentioned, a vet check is a good idea. With some minor medical care, he'll be fine, but the coconut oil isn't going to make an infection on the paw go away. Please update us and let us know how he's doing. Best of luck.

Arielle

Lairian
Thank you everyone! This may sound stupid but an infection didn't even cross my mind. I didn't even know this was possible! For some reason I associate infections as in having to be IN something like an eye or nose. I checked him yesterday after I got home from work and his paw is back to normal. He even came up to be a few minutes ago and it is like it never happened! I am so confused but I am wondering if he was cleaning it too much or something? I'm just always paranoid something is wrong with him! Y'all have been such a good help!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you everyone! This may sound stupid but an infection didn't even cross my mind. I didn't even know this was possible! For some reason I associate infections as in having to be IN something like an eye or nose. I checked him yesterday after I got home from work and his paw is back to normal. He even came up to be a few minutes ago and it is like it never happened! I am so confused but I am wondering if he was cleaning it too much or something? I'm just always paranoid something is wrong with him! Y'all have been such a good help!

@Arielle just keep an eye on his paw to make sure that what ever it was is completely gone and not coming back anytime soon. When you see a cat over licking their paw, etc., it's not the cause of a problem, but instead, it's a sign something is bothering them.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Arielle , do use a scented litter? Sometimes scented litter can be a culprit for foot / eye issues?

Glad his paw looks better :)

In the future as a note : product I keep on hand in my kit
Will he let you soak ?

For any paw issues - with vets advice of course - I put a teenie drop of povidone mixed into a bowl or cup of water until clear ( it Comes out red and will stain! So only use a drop and mix well till clear on a stain proof surface -

I gently hold paw in the clear mix for a a few minutes ( or seconds as tolerated ) twice a day and gently pat dry
it really helped paws here

You can and always sholud ask your vet first about use of any products for your Sphynx/pets needs **

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 69
Back