Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw Portions For a Kitten

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello all! I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I've managed to really confuse myself with how much I should be feeding my new baby. He is currently 15 weeks old, and weighs about 3 pounds. The manufacturing company I buy the food from recommended feeding him around 3oz, but that's for regular kitties and not our nudists that require more. So I upped his portions to roughly 6oz. Does this seem like enough or too much? I'm feeding him strictly raw, and I spread it out over 3 meals a day (which he gobbles up in under a minute flat:hilarious:). Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 120

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there. You can check out some raw feeding information here: Raw Cat Food Information I even made a PDF.

From the PDF:

"Serving Homemade Cat Food Feeding Regimen
• Kittens — 3-4 times per day.
• Adults — 2-3 times per day.

Generally speaking, feed as much as your cat(s) eat in about 20 minutes, which usually translates to 50-150 g (2-5 oz.) per meal.

Most cats self-regulate and do not over eat. It’s usually unnecessary to measure out extremely specific amounts. Age and activity also affects quantity required. In time you will learn how much is consumed at each meal. Kittens and growing cats continuously ramp up their requirements, and from time to time confuse you by eating less for a while."

That said, 6 oz is not unreasonable for kittens. What will be confusing is that there will be times where they'll eat half of that, and then more, and then less etc. Best just to let them eat what they want. Their little growing bodies seem to know.

I had to regulate my crew's food once they became about 18 months of age. They like raw too much. hahaha. Good luck!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also feed raw. Frida eats 4-6oz per day (and she only weighs 3kg) . Typically more in the winter than the summer. Kittens may even eat as much as 8oz. Feed him up. Xan is right. They self regulate very well on a raw diet.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do wish I could fed my Cleo raw but because only I feed her . I have her whiskas wet and dry in my cupboard along with cleo’s milk and treats
( without going into it all I virtually live in my room as I cannot manage the stairs all the time and my bathroom is next door to our bedroom )
So it would mean Claire my youngest daughter having to prepare her food , and I want to be the one who does everything for her food wise , Claire does bath and do cleo’s nails but I hold her lol
I’m not being selfish I just want to feel needed
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for all the great responses! I'll definitely have to start letting him eat as much as he can within 20 minutes and see how much my little pig will have! I'm curious to see how much he can fit in his little tummy! :joyful:

moodyxmoon

Lairian
My Vet , and the back of two different raw food brands - mainly Natural Instinct ( in the UK) have told me to me to feed Tak as much as she likes or wants to eat - then when she reaches 6 months to start portioning and weighing it into two meals a day - amount dependent on what she weighs.

I was focused on checking taurine levels in the food, however my vet said to also check that my kitten is getting enough calcium for her bone development. So I've added in a supplement powder to make sure shes getting enough.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Vet , and the back of two different raw food brands - mainly Natural Instinct ( in the UK) have told me to me to feed Tak as much as she likes or wants to eat - then when she reaches 6 months to start portioning and weighing it into two meals a day - amount dependent on what she weighs.

I was focused on checking taurine levels in the food, however my vet said to also check that my kitten is getting enough calcium for her bone development. So I've added in a supplement powder to make sure shes getting enough.
I really do admire all our members who raw feed ! I wish I could with my two x
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I really do admire all our members who raw feed ! I wish I could with my two x
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Easy peasy.....I buy the food in bulk already ground and in the right proportion of bone, organs and muscle meat. All I have to do is dethaw some of it, add water and Alnutrin supplement, stir, and it's done.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Easy peasy.....I buy the food in bulk already ground and in the right proportion of bone, organs and muscle meat. All I have to do is dethaw some of it, add water and Alnutrin supplement, stir, and it's done.
You actually do make it sound so
“””Easy Peasy “”” but you totally lost me at the add Alnutrin ah ha
I do think I need to do some research to see what I’d available to me in the uk
Thank you
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You actually do make it sound so
“””Easy Peasy “”” but you totally lost me at the add Alnutrin ah ha
I do think I need to do some research to see what I’d available to me in the uk
Thank you
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

I'm almost certain Alnutrin will ship to the UK and it's a very small package so the shipping should be reasonable and you can purchase a year's supply in one shot.
Know What You Feed Your Cat - Shop Online

Last edited:
Back