Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Read any good books, lately?

Do you enjoy reading?

• Can't get enough!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Every once in a while.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Do user manuals count?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I recently plowed through three books and need to decide what to read next. I read the Y/A sci-fi novel Cress (book 3 of the Lunar Chronicles, with more installments forthcoming), and the latest two Sevenwaters books.

I'm not necessarily asking for suggestions, seeing as I've got plenty in the communal shelves to choose from, but what are your favorites? Are you anxiously awaiting a new publication?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Jonathan maberry (joe ledger series), and conn igulden (historical, particularly Mongolian series).

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I recently plowed through three books and need to decide what to read next. I read the Y/A sci-fi novel Cress (book 3 of the Lunar Chronicles, with more installments forthcoming), and the latest two Sevenwaters books.

I'm not necessarily asking for suggestions, seeing as I've got plenty in the communal shelves to choose from, but what are your favorites? Are you anxiously awaiting a new publication?
You forgot a poll option - "hardly ever" :whistle: With that being said, My favorite book ever of the few I have read would be "My side of the Mountain." by Jean Craighead George.

My_Side_of_the_Mountain.jpg

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You forgot a poll option - "hardly ever" :whistle: With that being said, My favorite book ever of the few I have read would be "My side of the Mountain." by Jean Craighead George.

View attachment 46649
I love that book! She's a wonderful author, though I had trouble re-reading "Julie" and "Julie's Wolf Pack". Well, "Julie's Wolf Pack" is okay, since there's less dialogue, but what is with everyone always saying "all right" in "Julie"??

I'm re-reading Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonsong", as I always do when I'm stressed. It's my form of comfort food, and Menolly pulling herself out of an unfortunate situation always makes me feel better.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I need something good to read...I'm dying waiting for Sylvia Days last book in the crossfire series to come out!

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I anxiously await the newest book in the Dresden Files series.... Harry Dresden is my hero!! May 27th can't come any sooner.

His Codex Alera books were great too if you like fantasy. Jim Butcher writes some pretty great fantasy.

I also read an amazing crime/horror/thriller called Night Film. It is beautifully written and keeps you on your toes the entire time you're ready it. The characters are so detailed that it is hard to forget they are in a book. The writer makes you fall in love with each and every character whether they are "good" guys or not. I was on the edge of my seat up until the very last page and was left wanting more.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I need something good to read...I'm dying waiting for Sylvia Days last book in the crossfire series to come out!
What else do you read/have you read? The only mysteries that I have really gotten into are paranormal (sci-fi/fantasy buff, what can I say?) and Brother Cadfael.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What else do you read/have you read? The only mysteries that I have really gotten into are paranormal (sci-fi/fantasy buff, what can I say?) and Brother Cadfael.
I don't have very classy taste. I've read 50 shades. I tried to get into the hunger games but I just didn't care for it. I love drama and thriller type movies. I just don't know where to start with books as far as good reading goes other than smut lol. So I'm paying attention to this thread :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One of my favorite fictional books is called Snow in August. Its a book about a catholic kid who befriends a rabbi, I think it takes place in the 1940s or 1950s, great book. And if you want to read a book about animals, Racing in the Rain is a fantastic book as well. That being said, I hardly ever read fiction.

Jen

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My favorite nonfiction for a while has been Bombay Anna. The writing is a bit convoluted, at times (particularly when the biographer gets carried away with Anna Leonowen's relations), but I still enjoyed it enough to have read it twice.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One of my favorite fictional books is called Snow in August. Its a book about a catholic kid who befriends a rabbi, I think it takes place in the 1940s or 1950s, great book. And if you want to read a book about animals, Racing in the Rain is a fantastic book as well. That being said, I hardly ever read fiction.

Jen
I mean, The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's about a dog, great book.

Jen

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sending my brother Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I watched the movie after a friend pestered me forever to see it, then I borrowed the graphic novels.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought they were amazing! I read all three ina week.
If I were still working in the bookstore, I'd have probably plowed through them. I was constantly looking for alternatives to less desirable YA literature, which led me to Graceling and Cinder. Okay, that wasn't the only reason, but it was incentive AND a good excuse to not be bothered while reading. "Honestly, I'm working! People need to me know what's out there!"

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Since I really like the movie, I finally read The Jane Austen Book Club. I generally like the changes they made for the movie format. I wish they could have spent a little more time with Grigg in the movie, and made it clearer that Prudie is the youngest of the bunch, but that's about it.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've seen Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle several times, and I learned a while ago that the movie is based on a book. An acquaintance recently reminded me of this, so I downloaded it onto my kindle cloud reader. I'm halfway through and really enjoying it. If I were to describe the book and the movie, omitting the title, you'd have no idea that one is the source material for the other.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
old thread, but...
I normally read a novel a evening -- it's amazing how much time I have since I evicted broadcast tv from my life--
mostly I'm reading urban fantasy, but I'll also make forays into westerns(go louis l'amour!), sci-fi, and both high and low fantasy.
when I tackle nonfiction, it's either to learn something, or something philosophical -- I've been working on Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid-- but it's taking a bit as it's very conceptually dense.
current reading list:
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
house immortal series by devon monk
marla mason series by T.A. Pratt
elemental master series by mercedes lackey
The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch by Lewis Dartnell
and I'm looking forward to:
Model Engineer's Handbook by Tubal Cain -- hopefully It'll have what I need for some of the things I'm building
the 3rd book on the kingkiller chronicles by patrick rothfuss, whenever that gets done...

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks, @Fester, that's a great list. Appreciate the recs.

I recently started listening to (I'm an audio book person):

-- the Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L. Howard -- A necromancer makes a deal with the devil and gets more than he bargained for.

-- the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (read superbly by James Marsters... yes, that would be Spike of Buffy fame) -- Wizard detective with a colourful cast of cohorts! @Fester, you might enjoy this if you haven't read it already

Also just finished:

-- the latest Joe Ledger book, Predator One, by Jonathan Maberry, and while not his BEST, mostly very entertaining if not a little prophetic.

-- Tune in Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries by Tim Anderson -- not superb, but fun for the most part. The narrator is hilarious and while some of his pronunciations are a little off, his enthusiasm for the content was entertaining.

My iPod nano just died so I need to contend with that tragedy. Until then I'm revisiting the early Joe Ledger books before continuing with my backlog.

Cheers.

Back