Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Recommending a vet in (South) bay area, CA

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would like to recommend Dr. Michelle at Arroyo Animal Clinic in Sunnyvale, CA.

They have several sphynx clients and Dr. Michelle is really clued up on the breed.

• She knew right off the bat that we couldn't use ketamine for the neuter
  • She lets the vet tech know when something is just a sphynx quirk without me having to explain.
  • She knows which antibiotics work well for sphynx.
  • They reply to emails out of hours from worried sphynx owners ;)
  • She is a supporter of the raw diet
  • Whenever the boys have to stay they go into a crate with lots of blankets together
  • The vet techs are in LOVE with them and they get special treatment

Here is their yelp (4.5 stars): http://www.yelp.com/biz/arroyo-animal-clinic-sunnyvale

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
:) Well, it's a bit farther than what I was hoping for (I am looking for SF to RWC - and Sunnyvale is farther and can take awhile, depending on traffic). But I will probably be trying this vet if I don't get any other responses!

Have th searched the entire thread for Ca. I seen more.
I didn't know, if they, were any closer or not.
Recommended Sphynx Vets

TheTopaz

Lairian
THANK YOU! It looks like we may be moving again, this time to Mountain View, CA so we were looking for a rec just like this one!
Any recs for HCM screening/treatment in the area? We previously used a board certified vet cardiologist in SF.

I would like to recommend Dr. Michelle at Arroyo Animal Clinic in Sunnyvale, CA.

They have several sphynx clients and Dr. Michelle is really clued up on the breed.

• She knew right off the bat that we couldn't use ketamine for the neuter
  • She lets the vet tech know when something is just a sphynx quirk without me having to explain.
  • She knows which antibiotics work well for sphynx.
  • They reply to emails out of hours from worried sphynx owners ;)
  • She is a supporter of the raw diet
  • Whenever the boys have to stay they go into a crate with lots of blankets together
  • The vet techs are in LOVE with them and they get special treatment

Here is their yelp (4.5 stars): Arroyo Animal Clinic - Sunnyvale, CA

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
THANK YOU! It looks like we may be moving again, this time to Mountain View, CA so we were looking for a rec just like this one!
Any recs for HCM screening/treatment in the area? We previously used a board certified vet cardiologist in SF.

There are often clinics arranged in Modesto, CA. Wee bit of a drive from South Bay but at $175 far cheaper than local cardiologists. The next is in July, PM me if you want the contact details for the lady arranging it.

The cardiologist from the clinics is the best I have met, Dr Brian Mackie. We also saw Dr Waxman at Sage in Campbell but that was $580 per scan and he was not great. There is a traveling cardiologist they use at Arroyo Animal Clinic, Dr Kienle, it's an option if the clinic is too far to drive. Prices again are much higher at around $540

TheTopaz

Lairian
Thank you @zoinks! I saw Jacky's contact info on a FB group for HCM so I just emailed her. I was paying $750-850 in SF for HCM testing :( I wish there were SF Bay Area clinics once a year!

There are often clinics arranged in Modesto, CA. Wee bit of a drive from South Bay but at $175 far cheaper than local cardiologists. The next is in July, PM me if you want the contact details for the lady arranging it.

The cardiologist from the clinics is the best I have met, Dr Brian Mackie. We also saw Dr Waxman at Sage in Campbell but that was $580 per scan and he was not great. There is a traveling cardiologist they use at Arroyo Animal Clinic, Dr Kienle, it's an option if the clinic is too far to drive. Prices again are much higher at around $540

TheTopaz

Lairian
I am adding notes here as I go, hopefully it's helpful for the next person with the same issues. I called Arroyo Animal Clinic (Sunnyvale) however they appear to have had a change in management/sale of the clinic and nobody returned my call or my email asking about Vet Cardiology services (however I will try them again). UPDATE: I tried them again and they said they refer to SAGE for their Cardiology related services.

Both United Veterinary Specialty & Emergency (Campbell location only) and SAGE Centers For Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Care (Redwood City & Campbell locations) also offer HCM related scanning.

SAGE Centers For Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Care seemed clueless over the phone about HCM and what services they offer, they roughly estimated it around $700+, with a $140 consult fee at Campbell location, The Redwood City location was estimating it closer to $600, with the vet Cardiologist Sarah J. Silverman.

United Veterinary Specialty & Emergency work with Cardiologist Kristine Chan (also at the VCA SF) only on Wednesdays, $165 for a consult and no mention of estimated cost for anything else.

Last edited:
Back