Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rectal prolapse in kitten? (picture)

Tatianna

Lairian
I picked up my kitten Giza about two weeks ago. At first he was shy, and timid, but now his true personality has shown. He is very mischievous, loving, and intelligent. One thing I noticed the day after we got Giza is that after he used the bathroom there was a small red bump on his rectum. I talked to the breeder, and she said it could go away on it's own, but if not to see a vet. Well, it hasn't gone away. We visited one vet, and they weren't knowledgable about the breed. Now we found someone who is knowledgable about the breed, and has made a treatment plan for my 3 month old kitten. On Friday we have to drive him to the vet at 6 am; he will be sedated, and the vet is going to push in the prolapse with lube. Then he is going to place an item that will hold everything in place, but with a tube that he should be able to poop through. I am very worried about this procedure because I just got this kitten, and if it doesn't work we are going to try a second round, and if that doesn't work we have to do a surgery to remove the tissue :( Also my poor baby has to go under sedation! I just feel so bad he is going through this. Luckily he said this is a very mild case and he has only had to perform one surgery in his career in the case that the first treatment didn't work. This is also very costly, but luckily we have insurance that covers a small portion. Has anyone else had this problem?! Or had a similar procedure?? I added a photo, please let me know if it is viewable. View media item 25976

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why, but I am getting an error when I try to open your pic on both Tapatalk and reguar site. Perhaps you can try again.

Adding images/ photos to Threads or Messages

I know my breeder has dealt with this before. Often the muscles get stronger as they get older and it helps to rectify the issue. Be sure to remind your vet no ketamine for anesthesia just in case they take a different approach to the procedure.

I also moved your post to the health area of the community as your experience might help another member in the future. I will send positive thoughts your baby's way!

Patti

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not able to open picture either.

I am not familiar with this in felines but some dog breeds are also prone to this issue.

Sending positive thoughts to you and your baby!

Tatianna

Lairian
Not a pretty sight, but I did see worse pictures online. Hoping he gets better soon. The vet was pretty reassuring.

Also, @Catzzzmeow does ketamine have an ill effect on sphynx? Ill make sure to speak to them on this.

Thank you everyone

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 266

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Tatianna Yes...avoid ketamine. Here is a thread you can read up on. Help with info on ketamine!!

Vets not experienced with the breed often dismiss the info...if so I would change vets. Be sure to check with them ASAP to make sure they are prepared with other options. Besides the link you can google and see the breed does historically have issues with ketamine.

As far as the rectum pic...we all are used to things just being out "there." I knew someone who personally had a prolapsed rectum and the entire rectum was outside the body...so yes I would guess this is a mild case and hopefully easy to correct. Please update us. Your info will be very helpful to another member.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tatianna , awh Giza baby - healing vibes sent !

IMHO, I would get a second opinion before doing surgery and tubes on baby kitty-
Especially since mentioned " it is a very mild case and only performed one in his career"

( my cynical side, not to offend, ) years ago I switched vets because when I walked in with Sphynx and Bengal - it was commented , ooh they are expensive-- no coincidence, so was the bill estimate-
I ran the other way with my non expensive priceless adoptees :)

Just me, I also do not tell them I have care credit or pet insurance up front- had a bad experience years ago with where the bill and treatment plan went on and on

**I would want confirmation that it is a rectal prolapse vs. an anal prolapse - before I did anything invasive-

Found this reading after my original reply I found interesting too
Advice needed on Anal Prolapse in a kitty - a little long and pics included

They are different and involve different tissue-

Are there conservative options with monitoring that it will heal on its own ? would be a big question for me to ask a vet/second opinion- for peace of mind and less intrusive treatment options on a baby kitty

Very good advice given about ketamine -
I always ask for "ISO" anesthesia when I have my four legged babies dogs , cats -Sphynx neutered or spayed

Please keep us posted on baby Giza

Last edited:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have seen 2 cases of rectal prolapse in felines, one was my own cat, a DSH, and both were mild and able to be treated with a gentle push and very cold KY jelly. COLD KY is key though! Crossing my fingers for you that you do not have to do surgery, and wishing you the best. Are you able to get a 2nd opinion? From the photo it does not look very severe! It does sound like your vet thinks lube and pushing will work so that is good news!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope everything is going well and that you and your baby are holding in there!

Beat wishes for a safe and speedy recovery!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Tatianna : Oh poor Giza! Don't have experience with this issue but good advise is already given. Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes. Keep all fingers and paws crossed everything goes well.

Please keep us updated.

Tatianna

Lairian
Yes the vet is going to push in the tissue with lube, and then put an item that will hold everything in place which he can poop through with close observation. Hoping it is cured without surgery. Thank you for all the good regards; I will keep everyone updated!

The vet doesn't use ketamine luckily.

@Yoda mom the way I worded his procedure may have made it seem worse than it is, but it's been two weeks and his bum hasn't healed and this vet was very considerate towards recommending the best option. Didn't even charge me for his first visit. Also, I have a friend with 4 sphynx who goes to him, and highly recommends. Only thing Im worried about is that they don't carry the brand of vaccines the breeder recommended, but other than that he doesn't seem to be in it for the money.

@Nofuratu Yes this is our second opinion and he was recommended from a friend so Im hoping it all goes well. Luckily he thinks the lube will work fine!

Thank you for everyone who sent the positive energy!!

Back