Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Recurring Late Night Vomiting, Possible Constipation

MCLetter

Lairian
Hi guys - wanted to get some input on Cleo's recent development. The past two nights she has thrown up around 2am. It's completely digested food, not a clear liquid or bile, but it's fairly runny because she's on a raw diet. She eats ground duck with bone 2x a day, and it's been doing great for her runny/mucousy/bloody poops the past month. I've had her about 6 months now (she's 4) and she had horrible poop on all dry and wet food until we started raw. This is the first time I've seen solid poop out of her (woo!) but I'm concerned she might be constipated? I know vomiting can be a symptom of constipation, and she does poop less on the raw diet, but at least once every day or two. This seems like a normal time frame, but over the past couple days I was starting to think her poop is a little too hard. It just seems a little too light and dry, even knowing what raw poop looks like. Is it possible there's too much bone in the food which led to constipation, which started the vomiting? She also ate only about half what she normally eats for breakfast this morning.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I think her digestive issues stem from IBS as she still has a little bit of blood in her poop but the raw diet seems to be helping tremendously. This is not diagnosed, just my instinct.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When is the last time that she pooped? To encourage a bowel movement, you can take a warm wet cloth and wipe it gently around the anus. It is what mother cats do to get kittens to poop.

MCLetter

Lairian
She pooped yesterday, she's not completely blocked up. I'm more wondering if there is just too much bone in the raw and it's making things drier than they should be.

MCLetter

Lairian
@Hairless Blessing
@Xandria - yes xandria's raw notes are amazing! :happy:
Not that I can find! If so, she hasn't thrown it up or pooped it out. I don't have too much laying around... but I'll keep an eye on her... Maybe she's getting into something at night, since the vomiting is happening then.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Hairless Blessing
@Xandria - yes xandria's raw notes are amazing! :happy:
Not that I can find! If so, she hasn't thrown it up or pooped it out. I don't have too much laying around... but I'll keep an eye on her... Maybe she's getting into something at night, since the vomiting is happening then.

If this continues tonight, I would take her to the Vet. Asap.
Something is wrong, or she wouldn't continue to throw up.
She could, also, be allergic to the duck. Izmae, can't eat anything with feathers.
A lot of Sphynx have problems with poultry. Raw, wet or dry.

MCLetter

Lairian
I hope not - she can't eat turkey, fish or lamb. The duck she's been eating for about 4-5 months with no seeming allergic reactions and she's had it in dry, wet and raw form.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MCLetter , sending healing vibes
I would definitely call your vet and follow their advice

I tried Rawc a long time ago with my boy and ended up staying with a kibble with protein he could have
Please keep us updated

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like too much calcium/bone to me. I'm not sure how much you pre-make, but I would also try ramping back the bone content or calcium supplement. Just a little bit. You can also try some pumpkin to normalize her intestine. But in the end, I think you might be right about too much bone.

As always, seeing a vet who is receptive to the raw diet is a good idea as well.

One other thought I just had, are you adding enough water to the raw? Perhaps you need a little bit more water, a little less bone/calcium.

I completely sympathize, as it took me far too long to diagnose Max's chicken allergy. Keep us updated on what you try. Hugs.

MCLetter

Lairian
Hey everyone! Quick update here. So Tuesday she ended up throwing up breakfast, threw up again after dinner and during the night. At this point she had thrown up everything she had eaten for two days so I gave her some Orijen dry before bed to see if that would stay down. It didn't haha. Wednesday morning I made her a vet appt for that night and she wouldn't even get up for breakfast which is SO unlike her. She normally wakes me up at 6:30 meowing and running around and she hadn't even left the couch so that was pretty scary. I wrapped her up in a blanket and went to work expecting to come home to more and more vomit, but lo and behold, no vomit anywhere AND she had eaten the dry food I had left out for her. She was meowing and following me around like her normal self!

We went to the vet anyway and I brought them some poop to test just in case. The vet did notice she was a bit dehydrated, so they gave her a drip under the skin. I should've taken a photo for you guys of her hump. She was SO pissed. Since she hadn't thrown up at all that day he left it up to me whether I wanted to give her any anti-vomiting meds and I decided to wait it out. He said she seemed very good otherwise, so they're going to call today with the fecal test and if she'd thrown up last night I could come pick up any meds today.

Woke up this morning - no vomit anywhere! She woke me up at 6:10 and devoured some dry food. Giving her smaller meals right now just in case her tummy is still unsettled, but she seems back to normal. She just finished her morning rounds of looking out all the windows and yelling at the birds :joyful:

I'm gonna go with my instinct and start switching her over to a raw food with egg shell or less bone content. I spoke with Bravo and they said the bone content in their mix was 30%, so I think it wasn't jiving her with sensitive belly. Otherwise, she could've just had a kitty stomach bug which the vet said was a total possibility.

Thanks for everyone's input - headbutts for all! :cat::cat::cat:

@Xandria @Yoda mom @Hairless Blessing @MollysMom

Photo attached of her begging for a second breakfast this morning :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
EThank you for the update! She is sooo precious!

Btw, how long has she been on Orijen? I read some kitties can't handle the Orijen Richness protein -
So I went with Acana Grasslands for my Senstive tummy kitty who used to vomit all the time-
Acana is made by Champion foods that also makes Orijen

Another food that works for her is Fromm Game Bird recipe
Both Acana and Fromm no recalls
Acana has different formulas too if she can't have lamb

Glad you got her to see the vet amd she is improving !
Definitely check recall history on raw foods too bcz there were some in the past year

Keep the good news updates coming and pictures! She is adorable!

Found this to pass on
Consumer Recall Information - Bravo Pet Food

Last edited:

MCLetter

Lairian
EThank you for the update! She is sooo precious!

Btw, how long has she been on Orijen? I read some kitties can't handle the Orijen Richness protein -
So I went with Acana Grasslands for my Senstive tummy kitty who used to vomit all the time-
Acana is made by Champion foods that also makes Orijen

Another food that works for her is Fromm Game Bird recipe
Both Acana and Fromm no recalls
Acana has different formulas too if she can't have lamb

Glad you got her to see the vet amd she is improving !
Definitely check recall history on raw foods too bcz there were some in the past year

Keep the good news updates coming and pictures! She is adorable!

Found this to pass on
Consumer Recall Information - Bravo Pet Food

@Yoda mom

She doesn't actually eat the Orijen - it's from a few months ago when she was transitioning over from dry>wet>raw. I just happen to still have a bag of it in the house. Her daily meals are the Bravo Duck blend. Fortunately, the recalls on Bravo were not anything that she has ever eaten (y)

I took a look at the Acana and Fromm and it looks like they have a lot of things she's allergic to :(. I forgot to mention she's allergic to most things in this world besides herself :D

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awh, so glad to hear she is feeling better! I know it can be so hard to find a good food (raw, wet or kibble) for those kitties with allergies and sensitive tummies. We have tried a lot with Loki, he has had issues with so many types of food. We have had to do muscle testing and see what he is allergic too because he will go into fits of vomiting, even after being on food for a few weeks up to a few months. It is hard on us sphynx momma's for sure. We just want them to be feeling good!

Loki has had the drip under the skin too! Oh my, he looked like a little hunch back...and he wasn't happy at all.

Hope she keeps getting better and you get the food figured out!! :)

MCLetter

Lairian
Awh, so glad to hear she is feeling better! I know it can be so hard to find a good food (raw, wet or kibble) for those kitties with allergies and sensitive tummies. We have tried a lot with Loki, he has had issues with so many types of food. We have had to do muscle testing and see what he is allergic too because he will go into fits of vomiting, even after being on food for a few weeks up to a few months. It is hard on us sphynx momma's for sure. We just want them to be feeling good!

Loki has had the drip under the skin too! Oh my, he looked like a little hunch back...and he wasn't happy at all.

Hope she keeps getting better and you get the food figured out!! :)

Thanks @Nicolemorgan !! Poor Loki kitty - hope he's doing well these days!

I totally get the food issues... She has tried so many dry and wet foods, and they were all terrible. Some worse than others - I remember when we tried the Wellness pouches I could hear her stomach gurgling all day and she was clearing rooms with her farts CONSTANTLY :depressed:. Literally every time you picked her up, gas would come out! The poor thing.

She tends not to be a puker overall - her allergies (so far) generally present as very itchy face, ears and paws and crazy runny smelly poo. So I'm hoping this wasn't an allergic reaction *fingers crossed* .

The drip was too funny - the vet brings her back into the room all bundled up in a towel and goes "Well, she did NOT like that". She looked so grumpy. After I brought her home, the hump slid down to the side of her shoulder so it looked like she was wearing a gigantic shoulder pad. :ROFLMAO:

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks @Nicolemorgan !! Poor Loki kitty - hope he's doing well these days!

I totally get the food issues... She has tried so many dry and wet foods, and they were all terrible. Some worse than others - I remember when we tried the Wellness pouches I could hear her stomach gurgling all day and she was clearing rooms with her farts CONSTANTLY :depressed:. Literally every time you picked her up, gas would come out! The poor thing.

She tends not to be a puker overall - her allergies (so far) generally present as very itchy face, ears and paws and crazy runny smelly poo. So I'm hoping this wasn't an allergic reaction *fingers crossed* .

The drip was too funny - the vet brings her back into the room all bundled up in a towel and goes "Well, she did NOT like that". She looked so grumpy. After I brought her home, the hump slid down to the side of her shoulder so it looked like she was wearing a gigantic shoulder pad. :ROFLMAO:

Oh I know...the same thing happened to Loki. It slid down, and we couldn't help but giggle at him. And the little hole where the needle went in was so noticeable. It's crazy because you just notice everything on these guys! I guess that also makes it easier to monitor....or easier to worry. Haha

Right now we are on Better in the Raw, mixed with chicken for Loki. He seemed to be doing really well, and it completely stopped the diarrhea he had been having. He was previously on a vet diet, Urinary SO, because he had a bad UTI a few months before. But he never does well on kibble. And the year before we had him on raw, and then they stopped bringing that one into Canada (he was on it and doing SO well). So we swtiched to Primal raw, and it just caused vomiting none stop. All the kinds, venison, rabbit, duck.... he couldn't eat any of it, so we switched him to kibble. It's always a roller coaster.
We hope making it at home with Better in the Raw will help!! Fingers crossed, he's been on it for just over 2 weeks now.

MCLetter

Lairian
Oh I know...the same thing happened to Loki. It slid down, and we couldn't help but giggle at him. And the little hole where the needle went in was so noticeable. It's crazy because you just notice everything on these guys! I guess that also makes it easier to monitor....or easier to worry. Haha

Right now we are on Better in the Raw, mixed with chicken for Loki. He seemed to be doing really well, and it completely stopped the diarrhea he had been having. He was previously on a vet diet, Urinary SO, because he had a bad UTI a few months before. But he never does well on kibble. And the year before we had him on raw, and then they stopped bringing that one into Canada (he was on it and doing SO well). So we swtiched to Primal raw, and it just caused vomiting none stop. All the kinds, venison, rabbit, duck.... he couldn't eat any of it, so we switched him to kibble. It's always a roller coaster.
We hope making it at home with Better in the Raw will help!! Fingers crossed, he's been on it for just over 2 weeks now.

Yeah, kibble and all the wet foods we tried were no good for her. We also tried Primal! She honestly just didn't like eating it. Her poo was great, but she was just very meh about the food, and she started to get itchy after a couple weeks on it. Fingers crossed the homemade is your ticket!! We're using Alnutrin for our supplement right now, but I've heard such great things about Better in the Raw too!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah, kibble and all the wet foods we tried were no good for her. We also tried Primal! She honestly just didn't like eating it. Her poo was great, but she was just very meh about the food, and she started to get itchy after a couple weeks on it. Fingers crossed the homemade is your ticket!! We're using Alnutrin for our supplement right now, but I've heard such great things about Better in the Raw too!

Thanks so much, I hope this one is good for him too! :):) Yeah, we read about Alnutrin too. We ended up deciding on Better in the Raw because it's located in Canada, and we are too, so shipping was really fast!

Back