Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Red Bumps or Rash

NatGil0215

Lairian
Hey there! This is my first post so I apologize if it’s a bit vague or sloppy; I promise to reply quickly if you have any questions that can help figure out what is wrong with my cat.

This is my baby girl, Dolly. She is about 9 or 10 months old. She has been pretty healthy ever sense I got her. Some seasonal allergies but nothing unusual.

That is, until just a couple of weeks ago, she developed this weird rash on her back. We think it might be an allergic reaction to some cat treats by Temptations as we only recently got them. We’ve stopped giving her the treats though when we noticed the rash. So, any ideas as to what it really is and how to treat it?
8176A181-8F79-4B5B-9A32-9ACB9073D4FD.jpeg
974FCD02-4E65-4F92-8AC9-449F0446663D.jpeg
974FCD02-4E65-4F92-8AC9-449F0446663D.jpeg

NatGil0215

Lairian
Sphynx Skin Conditions

Have you changed detergent or litter, food or use dryer sheets? It does look like an allergy and unfortunately it can pop up at any time. @NatGil0215
No change in detergent, dryer sheets or food. We did begin with Purina Tidy Cats Glade litter but we thought maybe that was causing her sneezing so we’ve switched to Special Kitty Odor Control recently.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear of this issue. How is the rash now? If it's caused by the nrw treats and you don't give them anymore the rash should disappear in a few days.
Does she have the rash since you changed the litter? Then that could also cause the rash

NatGil0215

Lairian
Sorry to hear of this issue. How is the rash now? If it's caused by the nrw treats and you don't give them anymore the rash should disappear in a few days.
Does she have the rash since you changed the litter? Then that could also cause the rash
The rash is still there, I took that picture last night. I’ve stopped giving her the treats for about 2 weeks now and it hasn’t gone down any.
It’s possible the litter change has caused it but it seems like a late reaction if that’s the case. Any suggestions for a good litter? Preferably one that won’t break the bank either.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear the rash is still there. Strange that it stays the same all those weeks.
Since the rash is on her back and the change of litter was a long time ago I think the changes are small the rash is caused by the litter. But always good to try anoyher litter to be sure. I use cat's best sensitive. But don't know if that's available in your place.
Do you use baby wipes or something like that to clean her body?

NatGil0215

Lairian
I’ll keep an eye out for that litter, thank you!!

And I don’t use any baby wipes, but I do bathe her every weekend sense she gets SO dirty! I use TropiClean Gentle Coconut - Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Kittens during her baths.
I just bought Nutri-Vet Antimicrobial Wound Spray for her last night and put some on.. we’ll see if it works

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Maybe try not to bath her for a while. Bathing every week can cause skin issues. I know the dirt is not nice but not bathing can help her skin to settle

Back