Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Red gums...???

Laulau

Lairian
So laulau still has diarrhea sometimes he will have a normal poop. The vet food z/d hasn't seemed to help, he still has his rash...thr vet have him two rounds of de-wormwr two pills and liquid that he finished per instruction. Tonight I noticed his gums were red and seemed kinda inflamed right by his teeth I posted a picture...i think I'm going to take him to a different vet? Has anyone experienced gums like This? Thank you so much hairless fam!

Attachments

• 20180607_201741.jpg
    20180607_201741.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20180607_201720.jpg
    20180607_201720.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 120

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So laulau still has diarrhea sometimes he will have a normal poop. The vet food z/d hasn't seemed to help, he still has his rash...thr vet have him two rounds of de-wormwr two pills and liquid that he finished per instruction. Tonight I noticed his gums were red and seemed kinda inflamed right by his teeth I posted a picture...i think I'm going to take him to a different vet? Has anyone experienced gums like This? Thank you so much hairless fam!
Have you tried a bit of pumpkin in his food? A table spoon of pumpkin (not the pie filler type) can help with tummy issues as long as there are no underlying illnesses. You can mix it right in with his food. The gums look normal, maybe a slight bit of irritation by the tooth, that could be anything though. I would keep an eye on it. :)

AlliHille

Lairian
I would take him to the vet to have them looked at. Cats can get different types of gingivitis and stomatitis, so it's good to try to treat it early. I have a one-year old Persian that has this. The vet sometimes does steroids to help calm the gums down. We have also been trying a kitty mouth wash...which he does NOT love. He thinks we're trying to drown him with mint water, then he runs around foaming at the mouth afterwards.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laulau , healing vibes sent

Never hurts to vet check amd or second opinion of you are not getting results

You can ask the vet if Oratene products (rubbed on the gums ) would be beneficial ?
There is an Oratene Mainteance gel for cats and dogs as well as an Oratene antispectic gel

Btw, also wanted to ask from your earlier post , did the vet do a urine test ?

I call the vet ahead of time to see if I should being a fresh urine sample amd poo sample
To try to get as much checked in ome visit while dealing with any issues .
The. I wrote down my questions to begin with me .. Because so often the visits go fast and I leave some stuff out .
I also always ask during vet visits to take a good listen to the heart no matter what we are at the vets to check .
Again , to make an all around productive vet visit .

Was his poo ever checked for giardia or tritrichomonas ( not as often mentioned ) thst can cause chronic poo issues .
Tritrichomonas foetus (Diarrhea)

For an accurate urije test the vets office may suggest a "cystiocentesis " urine sample drawn at the vets office .
It will show more detail to rule out struvite or oxalate urine crystals as well as blood in urine that may not be visible to the eye .
Sometimes these things can be rescans for out of box urinating amd can be healed with a round of antibiotics .
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Another cause of diarhea could be as simple as too many treats or people food , or changing food too often .

Please keep us updated often .

We have all dealt with similar issues and are here with lots of support amd healing vibes!

Here are pics of the Oratene pet products you can ask your vet about . I like that it does not have to be applied with a toothbrush . You can rub on the gums . I buy online .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back