Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Red Patches

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
Hello !
Happy to find this page and community.
I was supposed to pick up my new Sphynx baby yesterday however the Breeder sent me a photo of him with two red marks on his lower back . She thinks it’s from not rinsing him well enough after his bath , but wants to keep him for a few extra days to be sure .
Because I’m new to the breed , I was wondering if this is normal ( the red patches ) or should I be concerned its something else ?.
I’ve met him and have been sent photos just a few days prior without red patches.
I would love to here others opinions.
1BA31A76-4BA3-43EC-9860-450052429AC0.jpeg

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It does just look like a little skin irritation. What a great breeder to keep her to be safe about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Kudos to your breeder. Did they mention if any of the others kittens had the same issue?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You're lucky to have found such a responsible breeder!
I'm sure its nothing to be too concerned about; could just be sensitive skin.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I wouldn't be too worried you'll learn fast with these guys that everything blooms worse and you see every small knick or scratch because of the lack of fur. Orpheus is always giving him self tiny little scratches cause he hardly ever stops haha

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kaylapolicelli welcome to the lair family
Glad to hear you have a responsible breeder :)
Always best to err on the side of caution

Good idea to keep for a few extra days and make sure no more spots develop - amd to see if other littermates have any spots marks
(If so I would then ask to vet check to rule out any possibility of ringworm Just to be safe .)

Probably fine and kudos to your breeder
Look forward to gotcha say pics and tales! Do you have a name picked out ?
He has handsome, coloring !

All our kitties get marks on skin from time to time
that turn out to be part of normal sphnyx life

Many of us keep on hand vetericyn spray to use on skin
Like it is non toxic

Last edited:

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
It does just look like a little skin irritation. What a great breeder to keep her to be safe about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you ! I thought the same .. that it’s just a little irritation . But because I’ve never owned a Sphynx I’m happy to have some of you see the photo.

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
I wouldn't be too worried you'll learn fast with these guys that everything blooms worse and you see every small knick or scratch because of the lack of fur. Orpheus is always giving him self tiny little scratches cause he hardly ever stops haha
Thank you ! First time Sphynx mom and I’m sure I have lots to learn ! Can’t wait to get him ❤

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
@kaylapolicelli welcome to the lair family
Glad to hear you have a responsible breeder :)
Always best to err on the side of caution

Good idea to keep for a few extra days and make sure no more spots develop - amd to see if other littermates have any spots marks
(If so I would then ask to vet check to rule out any possibility of ringworm Just to be safe .)

Probably fine and kudos to your breeder
Look forward to gotcha say pics and tales! Do you have a name picked out ?
He has handsome, coloring !

All our kitties get marks on skin from time to time
that turn out to be part of normal sphnyx life

Many of us keep on hand vetericyn spray to use on skin
Like it is non toxic
Thank you for the warm welcome ! As I said .. I’m grateful to have this community to learn from and share with .
I’m appreciative of the breeder and she’s been wonderful so far . She said if it hadn’t cleared by Saturday she’d take him to get regular vet to have it checked out

I’m thinking Oliver for a name but want to wait till I get him home !

I’ll look into the product just I have on hand Incase anything else comes up.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Sorry to hear gotcha day is delayed but what a great breeder to keep him some extra days. Hope the red spots will be gone soon so you can take him home!

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
Hello !
Happy to find this page and community.
I was supposed to pick up my new Sphynx baby yesterday however the Breeder sent me a photo of him with two red marks on his lower back . She thinks it’s from not rinsing him well enough after his bath , but wants to keep him for a few extra days to be sure .
Because I’m new to the breed , I was wondering if this is normal ( the red patches ) or should I be concerned its something else ?.
I’ve met him and have been sent photos just a few days prior without red patches.
I would love to here others opinions. View attachment 89842
This is my sweet boy !! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions . Thought I should add a cute pic of his face rather then just a backside haha (These are both from the breeder who is great )
Can’t wait to pick this guy up .. hopefully this weekend ! Thanks again everyone

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
Thank you for checking in ! The breeder brought him to her vet this past Saturday to have him checked and he looked great . The vet suggested that she keep him for a week more just to be sure and because leaving his litter mates and orginal home will be stressful for him we wanted to make sure everything has settled .
So I’ll finally be able to bring him home this Sunday ! I’ll post a picture when I do .

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kaylapolicelli ah!,,, so excited for you ! Look forward to Sunday gotcha pics and tales!
Name ideas ?

Kudos to your breeder for following through with a vet visit and going the extra mile for a smooth gotcha day

kaylapolicelli

Lairian
Picked up my sweet boy today ! He’s super sweet .. a little nervous being in a new home. But we’ve made him a little space in our spare room until he’s more comfortable . He purrs like crazy .. has drank and eaten well so far and has also used his litter !
Oliver is his official name ! He was born September 25th and seems to be healthy!
Looking forward to sharing more with this community !

Thanks everyone for their support so far <3

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
Picked up my sweet boy today ! He’s super sweet .. a little nervous being in a new home. But we’ve made him a little space in our spare room until he’s more comfortable . He purrs like crazy .. has drank and eaten well so far and has also used his litter !
Oliver is such a cute little baby! Congratulations on your new family member!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk