Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Red swirls on skin and squinty eyes: the ongoing saga of Jinkx

Kphelan02

Lairian
Hi everyone! The biopsy results came back and they were clear, which means that earlier suspicions of an either stress-based or sensitivity-based reaction were to blame since the swirls are hives. I am going to sort through everything in the house again and see if there is anything I can find that has been consistently in the home and that might be causing the agitation! I already eliminated all household cleaners and use dawn dish soap, and I have switched detergents so I am not sure what else it could be :/

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could still very well be internal. It might not be anything she’s coming into contact with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kphelan02

Lairian
Should I try switching her food? She gets Purina One dry kitten food presently

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Couldn’t it still be due to hormones as well? It takes a while for hormones to straighten out after spaying, so I am still hoping it does the trick.

Kphelan02

Lairian
Hi again,
she still has the swirls but tonight something else happened. We took her cone off for a little bit as her wounds are healed, but we left her alone for about 15 minutes only to find her with one eye swollen shut from excessive rubbing. We just put the cone back on because it's still pretty swollen but is this normal?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No that’s not normal, but a lot of different things could cause it. She could have something in her eye, for instance. Is she on any regular meds right now?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Checking in to see how your sweet girl is tonight...

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sounds like you have your hands full. I understand vet costs and trying to manage, I definitely agree with trying for Care Credit. It has been a lifesaver for me. Between Agnes' asthma, allergies and skin flare ups and Otto, my boerboel's heart condition and masses it has definitely been used. The best part is the interest free financing as @Yoda mom mentioned before.

Hopefully, you will get the skin thing under control. Sounds like the opthamologist is knowledgeable about what is plaguing her eyes and how to best treat it.

Best wishes on her continued recovery.

Kphelan02

Lairian
Hi everyone!

Jinkx is continuing to do well, she still has some swirls but they have dramatically decreased since being spayed so we are hoping that this helped. The vet would like to do allergy testing for her, but we are waiting on that until we can pay off the first round of medical procedures. Otherwise she has been mostly back to normal. One new behavior she is having is unprovoked biting. As an example, she prefers to sleep next to me or on my chest, and last night she curled up next to my arms and was purring, and then with no shift in body language or purring she slammed down onto my hand (did not break skin) and then took off. She promptly came back, still purring, and was settled for the rest of the night. This is a new behavior that I first noticed after her first major vet visit where they did a lot of poking and prodding (despite gabapentin she is still very very anxious and aggressive whenever she sees this particular vet). I can't tell what might be causing it, but it's concerning because I consider myself a good read of her mood, however friends and vets have commented on the concerning nature of getting bitten with no warning and no apparent provocation.

Kphelan02

Lairian
Sounds like you have your hands full. I understand vet costs and trying to manage, I definitely agree with trying for Care Credit. It has been a lifesaver for me. Between Agnes' asthma, allergies and skin flare ups and Otto, my boerboel's heart condition and masses it has definitely been used. The best part is the interest free financing as @Yoda mom mentioned before.

Hopefully, you will get the skin thing under control. Sounds like the opthamologist is knowledgeable about what is plaguing her eyes and how to best treat it.

Best wishes on her continued recovery.

We did look into care credit, this seems like a really good option for us! Thank you (and @yodamom) for suggesting this option :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to read Jinkx is continuing doing well.
Sorry to hear about the biting. My girl Jade sometimes bites me when I'm petting her and she's purring her head off. It never hurts, it's more like a love bite.
If Jinkx bites hard, she may be in pain?
Are you touching her when she all of the sudden bites?
Is she sleeping and suddenly wakes up biting?