Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Reducing car anxiety?

ziggystardust27

Lairian
Hello! We have been taking our Ziggy (9 months old) on car rides when we go to visit my parents (45mins away). He does okay with it, he meows and seems a little stressed but it's not too bad. The last time we took him, he gobbled down his food right before we left and he ended up getting car sick. Poor little dude :(

We want to be able to take him on car rides stress free when we go to visit our families. Especially because he has so much energy when he's home that I think he would like an adventure (that doesn't stress him out)! I also get really stressed when I can tell he's not totally comfortable.

I am going to try taking his food away a few hours before, and trying to desensitize by taking him out more often. I got some CBD oil as well to see if that helps with the anxiety. Do you guys have any other tips? Is it worth the initial stress before he gets more used to it?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Definitely take the food away several hours before so he won’t puke hopefully. Also try throwing a towel or blanket over three sides of his carrier to create a sort of cave.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Try taking frequent short drives just to help get the used to it. Some days just like people aren’t good passengers in cars. I am one of them lol. I need to be the driver.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh yeah I had one get sick on me in the car once. I had not planned to take her out but they called me from the vet that an appointment slot opened up so I jumped on it.....poor little thing had just eaten and threw up all over the carrier. I felt awful.

For what it's worth mine used to meow all the way and now they are quiet, so they do calm down over time. That's not much consolation with a 9 month old but at least you know it gets better eventually.