Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Registering

AAMMYY

Lairian
Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I am getting a Sphynx kitten in October. Both of her parents are registered but the breeder wasn't planning on registering the kittens. She doesn't do showing and kind of has the philosophy of "well, it looks like a sphynx, so it's obviously a Sphynx". I was not planning on showing my kitten (I have no ideas what "quality" she would be considered anyways) and am probably not going to breed her.

Is there any use persuing the registering thing and getting her breeder to jump through the hoops, or not bother? Personally I don't care, but I don't want to regret it later.

Thanks, Amy

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I am getting a Sphynx kitten in October. Both of her parents are registered but the breeder wasn't planning on registering the kittens. She doesn't do showing and kind of has the philosophy of "well, it looks like a sphynx, so it's obviously a Sphynx". I was not planning on showing my kitten (I have no ideas what "quality" she would be considered anyways) and am probably not going to breed her.

Is there any use persuing the registering thing and getting her breeder to jump through the hoops, or not bother? Personally I don't care, but I don't want to regret it later.

Thanks, Amy

Well there are more ways than 1 too look at this, First if you have the papers you can trace the cat back and see where it came from. Then ask yourself some questions did you go to her house and see her cats? I would say she is not registering the litter because of something fishy, If you have mom and dad registered why would you not register the litter? And if she is selling to you saying that the cat is A Sphynx she should have proof to back this up, have you seen the parents paperwork? As A breeder I always show this. If she is selling to you for A below average price then she knows that she can not register them, and if you ask more questions I bet she will say she can not sell to you or stop returning your calls! Ask yourself this would you buy A diamond without knowing if it where real or not? Sorry to sound harsh, but something just does not sound good here, or she bought her cats without breeding rights and can not register the litter, and if the breeder finds out she bred them she will have to have A day in court and pay lots of $ out this is wrong and is only hurting the people like me who payed a lot more for breeding rights and to make sure you get a good pedigree kitten!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
it is important to register her.
You need to get the 5 generation ped.
People want to see the peds when they are buying a sphynx.
This breeder ounds fishy to me sorry.
How can she sell a cat with breeding rights when the litter is not registered?
It is not right.

AAMMYY

Lairian
I wouldn't exactly jump to the conclusion that she is doing something wrong. She only has ONE Sphynx cat, and is being mentored by THAT cat's breeder. She has agreed to register the kitten if I want, just has to track down all the paper work for the Queen and the outside Stud she used.

I asked about Bella being fixed as I know a lot of breeders do it before kittens go home. However, it will be up to each of the adopters to get it done if we want. She isn't doing early spay/neuter on any of them.

There are barely any breeders in Ontario and I am not wanting to be too picky, as long as she is a healthy happy Sphynx cat Im fine.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My new sphynx I will fix myself also.
She does not believe in spaying cats young either.
I am getting her around sept 16th.
I will be showing her.
I am glad she has a mentor.

Brooke

Banned
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

Here's another take on it - all 4 of my sphynxes came to me as rescues. I have no papers on any of them. While I think it would be really cool to be able to look back and see where they came from, and I really wish I knew their history for medical reasons, in all honesty if I had their papers I would probably have looked at them once and then filed them away forever.

But, that being said, if I were given the opportunity to have their papers, I would take them in a second!! Who knows what the future may hold, and when that slip of paper may come in handy? A few times I've thought it might be fun to enter my kitties in a show, just to see how they would do, but I don't think that's an option because I don't have a piece of paper.

Good luck, Amy. I personally don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask the breeder to register your kitten. I'm sure you've paid enough money to justify it, and I wouldn't consider mailing out paperwork to be "jumping through hoops"...:BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I did not mean to sound negative, it just did not sound good if the papers where available that she would not want to get them. In A case like Brooke she has no papers because they where all rescued but to go to A breeder and pay money for A cat that is registered that cat should come with the papers! I wish you luck on your new kitten and hope all goes well!

AAMMYY

Lairian
Thanks Guys,

I know you all just want what's best for the kitties. I will continue talking to her and am going make sure I do get the papers- just in case. I also doubled checked to make sure that both parents were screened for HCM and they were! She will also get all the kittens checked for murmurs when they go in for their shots.

She has a 1 year health guarentee on the kittens, is that reasonable, and would something like HCM show up by then?

I recieved more pictures today! She is the far right kitten- then her 3 brothers in the center, and sister on the left.

Bella4.jpg

Bella3.jpg

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is cute,
HCM does not show up in the frst year most of the time.
Cleo has a 2 year heath guarentee but most breeders I know have a 1 year health guarentee .
My new kitten has a 5 year health guarentee but that is because I asked a lot of questions about HCM.
She only did it for me and gives everyone else a 1 year health guarentee. When were the kittens born?

Brooke

Banned
Hi Amy,

Your little kitten is adorable! :Smile: What color is she or is it too soon to tell?

The 1 year health guarantee is standard. Some breeders will offer a separate guarantee against genetic defects like HCM, and I've seen them anywhere from 1 to 4 years.

Mews2much is correct, HCM will not generally show up before the first year. It's fantastic that your breeder scans for HCM, and the odds are in your favor that your little girl will also be clear. Regardless, you should consider having your baby scanned when she is about 18 months of age.

Can't wait to see more photos!!! And, I think you'll be glad you have her papers, even if they get filed away and just collect dust!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a 5/6 generation HCM positive cat in my new sphynx pedigree.
I was told it gives her a 6 % chance of getting HCM.
Brooke I think you can show the kitten in HHP since you do not have any reg on them.

Brooke

Banned
There is a 5/6 generation HCM positive cat in my new sphynx pedigree.
I was told it gives her a 6 % chance of getting HCM.
Brooke I think you can show the kitten in HHP since you do not have any reg on them.

Mews2much, that's good to know! these new kitties are pretty good looking, I may just put them in the ring some day if I can just to see how they do.

About the HCM, don't forget, there's always the possibility of it showing up, even if it's nowhere in the pedigree - that's why we should all be having our cats tested! When I found out the history on my cat Harold that had it, I found out his mother had accidentally been bred to her half brother, who was HCM + and the fact that he was inbred actually doubled his chance of getting it. I have also read somewhere that HCM is more common in males, though I don't remember where I saw that... I'm having my two boys tested an 3 weeks!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good Luck with the scans.
I plan on having Cleo scanned in Dec/Jan.
It is fun to show.
If you show a sphynx everyone will have to see it.
Cleo was the only sphynx at the last show and the public were asking were are the bald cats.
Everyone wanted to touch her.
I think there are at least 5 sphynx at the show on sunday. If you show would it be in TICA or CFA.
HHP is very different in TICA.
There is a huge TICA show in Florida this weekend.
The Bengal my sister is getting soon is being shown there.

Brooke

Banned
M2M,

Yes, I just found out about that annual TICA show in Orlando. It's only about 1.5 hours from me. I wish I'd been paying attention and known about it sooner - I'd have made plans to go! (at the very least, to see if they were doing an HCM clinic) I know a breeder that's showing her sphynxes there.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know a few people that are there.
Cleos breeder is at the show and so is the Bengal breeder Ty is coming from.
I hope Ty does well today.
Another person I know is showing in HHP there but she feels like a outcast.
They had a big party last night.
This is part of what she wrote.
Mom, Top Cat, and I arrived at the hotel last night. Tonight I went to a Royal Canin seminar and the pre show party at the show hotel. I felt soooooo out of place there. The reception was nice and all, but as I told mom when I came back, I just did not feel like I belonged there.
Sounds like a nice show.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You get a lot of those in CFA.
The Persian people seem to be the worst.
I have been told sphynx do not belong in CFA just because they are bald.
There are nice people also.
Everyone is telling me it is more fun to show in TICA then CFA.
They say the people are nicer in TICA.
I guess I will find out in October when I show in TICA for the first time.
The Roseville CFA show was fun.
All we did was ask where the parking was and the lady was so snotty to us at the CFA show last may.
I have mixed feelings about showing Cleo tomorrow because my Smokey died on Sept 6th 2005 and my sisters kitten died on Sept 6th 2000.
My Meeko was saved and I still feel bad that she lived and Mysyique did not.
This was before I got Meeko.
She was not taken care of very well before i got her.

Brooke

Banned
I hope Sept 6th tomorrow is a great day for you, and helps break that cycle.

I used to have the same luck with Dec. 23rd. Seemed like every year on that day something would go wrong (car accident one year, trip to the emergency vet 2 years in a row) so now I just stay home on that day!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks,
I do not now why the same day strikes more then once.
Sorry about your bad luck on Dec 23

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Hello,

I just received the paperwork to register my kitty. Why does the form have two name choice blocks: first choice and second choice? I only have my mind set on the one name I've already named it. Is there a chance you can't get the name you want so they ask for an second option? I don't understand. Seems odd.

PS: Did anyone purchase the (3) or (5) generation certified pedigree? Is it useful to have? It comes framed so I'm wondering if I'd ever hang it up or put it in a closet to never see again. What did you do with yours? Was it useful or a waste of $$$. Thanks!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can help you.
Get the 5 gen ped that way you can trace the lines back and check for HCM.
Put your first name choice on the first line.
Sometimes names are taken that is why you get a 2nd choice.
There is a good chance you will get the first choice.
The only reason you would not get the name you want is if someone with the catterys name used the same name as you.
I have Cleos 5 gen ped and it is laminated.
Wrinkles should be coming any day because I got her Reg number emailed to me las week.
I can help you with anything you want to know.
Is this TICA or CFA?

Back