Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Regular upset tummy

Tamsin

Lairian
hi guys! Just out of curiosity have any of you gone from dry food to a raw diet? Our guy is a rescue and he came eating dry food but has become intolerant to his sensitive biscuits.
Does anyone know if a raw diet is better for a sensitive belly and if it sorts out the loose bowels ect? His energy levels ect all seem fine and he's drinking plenty so other than the tummy upset he's happy.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I got my latest kitty with runny poop with some blood in it and raw food sorted him out in a day or two, totally firm on raw and gets less firm when he has some wet food. It's hard to switch adult cats from kibble to raw, should do wet portioned feedings with no kibble as an inbetween step and then start trying to mix bits of raw food in their wet food. You can try giving him a bit raw to see if he goes for it before all the hassle but usually they find it hard to switch from their habits.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Totally agree. Raw was the best thing I ever did for my cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Tamsin when my boys came to live with me I did feed them dry food. One of my boys had diarrhea and didn't have any energy. After a lot of tests, meds and stress and 6 months later I tried raw food. And in three days he had solid poop and was full of energy. Later I found out that he also does well on grain free kibbles (he was on kibbles for sensitive tummys bit those still had grain in it).
But I also know of sphynxes that don't do well on raw food and I know a lot of vets think raw food isn't a good food. So I guess it depends on the cat and what you think is the best for your sphynx.
Hope you find the food that's best for your sphynx!

Natasja

Tamsin

Lairian
I got my latest kitty with runny poop with some blood in it and raw food sorted him out in a day or two, totally firm on raw and gets less firm when he has some wet food. It's hard to switch adult cats from kibble to raw, should do wet portioned feedings with no kibble as an inbetween step and then start trying to mix bits of raw food in their wet food. You can try giving him a bit raw to see if he goes for it before all the hassle but usually they find it hard to switch from their habits.
He's not an especially fussy eater he's a bit of a dinner table/ kitchen counter surfer to be honest haha.
I think I'll look in to the wet/ raw transition and see how we get on. Thanks so much for the advice!

Tamsin

Lairian
@Tamsin when my boys came to live with me I did feed them dry food. One of my boys had diarrhea and didn't have any energy. After a lot of tests, meds and stress and 6 months later I tried raw food. And in three days he had solid poop and was full of energy. Later I found out that he also does well on grain free kibbles (he was on kibbles for sensitive tummys bit those still had grain in it).
But I also know of sphynxes that don't do well on raw food and I know a lot of vets think raw food isn't a good food. So I guess it depends on the cat and what you think is the best for your sphynx.
Hope you find the food that's best for your sphynx!

Natasja
That's really helpful, Thankyou! He seems to have developed some sort of intolerance and I hadn't thought about it being grains! I'm going to the pet shop today so I'm going to look into what is available x

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Switching to raw was the best thing I ever did for my kitties. Helped a lot to firm up the poop and cut down on the smell. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure to do it slowly over a few days, cause just switching the food can cause upset tummies.
Good luck :)