Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rescue dog adoptions

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So I've been a bit absent from here of late, as I have been totally obsessed with other matters... First and foremost my husband and I have been trying to buy our first home! I say trying, because the first purchase fell through due to circumstances outside our control, and the second is still going through the conveyancing process. The first was a flat in the centre of town (next door to where we live now actually) which we were planning on doing up and selling within a year or two for a profit. Our second property is a beautiful semi-detached Victorian or Edwardian 5 bedroom house with a garden in a nearby suburb. Things seem to be progressing well, but we won't be happy until we have the keys and lock the door behind us!

I wasn't too disappointed with not moving into another flat, since I have wanted to get a dog or 2 for many many years, but with living in different countries and in flats, that has not been an option. Until now! Well, we will of course have to wait until we're all settled in and ready. I started searching for rescue dogs that are good with cats, and ended up getting involved with a Romanian dog charity. I know there are many homeless dogs in the UK as well, but the situation in Romania is just so awfully desperate for man's best friend and they need all the help they can get!!

I'm wondering if there are members on here that have adopted rescue dogs, and if so from where and what are your experiences? I know some dogs will have more issues to overcome than others. I have been keen to adopt an adult dog, but my husband is a bit concerned and wants to get a puppy first. He figures we can then mold, shape and train it to be a happy, chilled and well balanced dog, that could provide a role model for any other dog or dogs we take in. I think this is a very good point, but I think that is just as possible with an adult dog, especially if it's a fairly balanced dog to begin with. Again, any thoughts or experiences are more than welcome!

@Yoda mom @Catzzzmeow @Toa and Ross - just wondering if I'm allowed to post the name of the charity on here or a link to their FB page?

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations on your new home (for when you get the keys).

I think how the dog will get on with cats depends very much on the dog itself and not necessarily the breed. We have a rescue German shepherd who we were told was great with cats and children having lived with both previously. Turns out this wasn't so much the case and it took him 3 years to accept them. He's great now and we've introduced several new cats since we got him but it was tough getting him to that point.

On the other hand, a friend of mine got a dog from one of the Romanian rescues and she was a dream. My friend has a special needs son and the dog is great with him. I don't know what the dog is like around cats but she's super-chilled and would probably be OK.

A puppy might be easier to mould but they are generally very excitable and might spook the cats, and an older dog could either be great with the cats or not but most UK dog rescues provide a history so you can see at a glance whether they're cat friendly or not. If you look on the Dogs Trust site you'll see what I mean.

Don't know if any of this helps or not but good luck with your search.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots Yea, I was thinking the same about a puppy being, well, a puppy! Bouncy, playful and in to everything is in my opinion going to maybe worry Vinnie and Butchie more... :confused: Especially Vinnie, as he is a very sensitive boy, and he might struggle to deal with that.

They are very open at the charity about what the dog's issues are, if any, and the younger dogs live in the puppy area of the shelter where they have resident cats. I think it's possible to cat test older dogs as well if you're serious about adopting an adult dog, and not all are traumatised or have issues. Like your friend's dog, they can be really chilled and sweet and easygoing! :)

But yea,... REEEEEALLY can't wait to have this purchase done and to move in!!! All we've thought and talked about for 6 months now is houses...o_O Looking endlessly every day online, viewing, and then back to searching online. And now waiting and waiting and more waiting :0: ( We are all so fed up with this little flat, Butchie and Vinnie included! Gets harder and harder to play with them, as they're bored of the games that we play here... Soon (hopefully!) they'll have 4 floors to run about in and stairs to run up and down :D I just can't wait,.. but I'll have to. Hoping we will be moved in for Xmas!!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots Yea, I was thinking the same about a puppy being, well, a puppy! Bouncy, playful and in to everything is in my opinion going to maybe worry Vinnie and Butchie more... :confused: Especially Vinnie, as he is a very sensitive boy, and he might struggle to deal with that.

They are very open at the charity about what the dog's issues are, if any, and the younger dogs live in the puppy area of the shelter where they have resident cats. I think it's possible to cat test older dogs as well if you're serious about adopting an adult dog, and not all are traumatised or have issues. Like your friend's dog, they can be really chilled and sweet and easygoing! :)

But yea,... REEEEEALLY can't wait to have this purchase done and to move in!!! All we've thought and talked about for 6 months now is houses...o_O Looking endlessly every day online, viewing, and then back to searching online. And now waiting and waiting and more waiting :0: ( We are all so fed up with this little flat, Butchie and Vinnie included! Gets harder and harder to play with them, as they're bored of the games that we play here... Soon (hopefully!) they'll have 4 floors to run about in and stairs to run up and down :D I just can't wait,.. but I'll have to. Hoping we will be moved in for Xmas!!
Everything crossed for you for Christmas in your new home. Sounds like the boys will have all the space they ever wanted and more ;)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina all paws crossed for your new home! as a realtor here in the USA many neighborhoods have home owner's associations that have clauses restricting dog breeds as well as dog weight restrictions (not over 45 lbs) really? do they bring a scale lol I

I have seen HOA documents restricting certain breeds :(. most recently in one document just one breed mentioned.... pitbull :(
so unfair imho

If you have homeowner's documents for your upcoming home double check for any breed or even dog weight restrictions .

I have always had cats and adopted dogs together ! bless you for opening your hearts and home to rescue!

I will tell you that over the 30 yrs of having rescues, a few places fibbed about the dog being " cat tested". keep in mind even if they are kitty tested, they may not get along with all cats.

I have adopted from shelters, a rescue organization and private individuals

I have experienced adopting rottweilers , a malinois and austrailian shepherds over 35 years.
a few were pups, and a few were adults.
the pups were more work lol ... the older ones who had grown up living with cats were an easy smooth transition...
all depends on the dog and it's upbringing and how you do slow introductions. As mentioned, it can take time.

I will point out that one of my adoptees was okay with furkitties but just couldn't figure out what the hell was a nakid cat!
I did extremely slow introductions and proofing before ever free roaming together. I also do not leave the cat food at floor level... dogs think it is for them!

My current adoptee dogs ranging from 60 lbs to 150 lbs fre roam with my cats. they are in harmony and no issues. the cats rule the dogs lol

ask lots of questions... and even if you visit the shelter or rescue ask to see the dog /kitty interaction. Like mentioned, I had one lie just so the dog would get a home.....

I will always adopt a dog.. whether pup or adult... both have added such joy and love.. the kitties think they are pretty cool too!

go with your gut for a good fit no matter the breed.
rescue organizations often require a home check, fenced yard, etc

all paws crossed for a smooth closing on your home!! exciting times!

keep us updated..

as for sites to share, are they non-profit?

keep us updated!
hugs n head smooches!

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina lol as you can see from my avatar pic of my first sphynx she was in charge of the dog bed...poor Max rottie (adopted from a local shelter ) . only got the corner of the bed ! Yoda girl would lick and groom him.

keep us updated! all paws crossed for your home closing !

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you for the advice and for sharing your experiences! Thankfully there are no HOA's here to worry about. I think the only cause for anyone to get involved with your business is if your dog was a public nuisance. It did occur to me too the dog might look at a naked cat and think "huh?!" but I'm hoping they'd realise soon enough what it is :ROFLMAO: They would film the encounter between cat and dog at this rescue shelter, so although I trust them, it is nice to see it for yourself! Funny, it occurred to me that the cat's dry food might be a tricky thing as it's always out, and I pictured the dog tucking in to it :0 Well, will cross that bridge when we come to it!

I was wondering what your opinion on puppy vs adult dog is..? I'm preparing to convince my hubby that an adult dog can be just as adaptable to our family unit. And as well, a puppy is a lot of work in ways an adult isn't, and I'm not sure I want that... I was amazed how much Butchie wore me out as a kitten, and I'm not in a hurry for that again ; )o_O

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina puppy vs adult dog? well let's see alot ... I remember setting the clock to take puppy out every 2 hrs, crate training, dog obedience school, etc... to be honest all depends what is best for you and yours...
For me, I have always found it a smooth transition with adult dog adoptees ...
lol all big dogs all depends on their history, upbringing etc.. and on your lifestyle, schedules for a good fit.

adopting an older dog can go both ways... very well trained and one that just needs a little more TLC. I always go for the underdog and love has been shared tenfold as if I had them since a puppy. Senior dogs rock too!

excited for you and following closely..

Back