Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rescue Kitten - Legit? Pet Delivery Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alysha

Lairian
I've looking for rescue Sphynx for some time now. I found one ad that I replied to, and I've gotten a response but online transactions like this make me weary and I thought I'd run this past a group that's more knowledgeable than I on the topic of rescue pets.

I replied to an ad that was listed in Edmonton, AB which is a 3 hour drive from where I live. Said 4 month old old little girl needed to be re-homed cause their family was growing and the owner was worried they wouldn't have time for her.

"Hi
I am selling my loved Sphynx cat. She is 4 months old, fully house trained, loves to have a bath. She is fed on dry food and loves to spend time with people.

This is a sad sale, but due to being pregnant and due in the next 4 weeks i do not feel that we will be able to give her the time and attention she requires.

She is looking for a forever home. She likes other cats and is fine with children. She had never lived with a dog so not sure how they would get along.

Please no more time wasters. This is a genuine sale of a family cat which is going to cause heartache to my children so please only contact if you are serious and genuine.

"

I replied as I'm genuinely looking for a companion for me and my son (I'm a stay home mom) and it seemed almost too good to be true since it was listed so close to us, I figured we could go pick her up and they were only asking a nominal fee. Sounded great.

The reply comes back and I'll quote the 2 paragraphs that sent up red flags.

"We are a lovely home, my husband, myself and one kid living down town but we have been transfered to Santa FE springs CA where my husband has a new job as an auditor.
We are now located in Santa FE and we are giving kiki out for several reasons:Firstly, our new home policies does not involve keeping pets, Secondly, i am 6 months pregnant, i guess i will loose attention to her when i give birth, since my husband is working longer hours so we are left with no choice than to give her away to any lovely home .

She can only be delivered to your location(home) via a pet and animal transport company considering the distance involve,i hope you are okay with kiki being transported to your location.
I would have prefare you come here and pick her up but i guess distance is a problem.the pet delivery services do a home delivery and so we have nothing to worry about the delays at the airport and all that.. the pet gets delivered right to your door step, we are giving kiki out for free adoption and all you will have to do is pay for the delivery/shipping fee and the change of ownership papers..we do consider the fact that there will be a delivery charge involve by the pet delivery services so we have eliminated any charge placed on the pets, all you will now be doing is handling the delivery charges to your location."

Honestly I'm thrown that the listing was for a Canadian location when they have "relocated" to California. It could be legit and I'm willing to tread lightly but ...

1. I was wondering if you fine folks would deem this to be a sort of bait and switch or a scam?

2. If you think it could be legit, how would you recommend going forward? I know nothing about pet delivery services (how they are paid/how much it costs) and how would you recommend me asking her to prove that the cat is in fact a Sphynx and not some alley cat?

I should add that she did send some pictures along with the reply email but who's to say they are of the kitten I would be receiving ..if.. this all when ahead?

Thanks for taking the time to read over this, I really appreciate it. It's nice to have a sounding board to bounce ideas off of when I'm uncertain.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Scam definitely. 100%.

Always, always be wary of "I live in A but I'm currently at B so will need to ship."

Sadly if it sound too good to be true, it usually is.

gizmo6370

Banned
Sorry....sounds like a scam to me....the kitty is for free....only pay for transport....cannot be picked up...etc.etc.
Have heard to much of these kind of adds....
Everytime when you think it is to good to be true...it usually is :Dizzy:
Good luck on your search...i'm sure that the right kitty will come along :Smile:

Scam.

I emailed this person about 2 months ago. Same exact email back only cat was named Sally. Saw same ad again las month, different person name and the pics were of a different cat. Emailed again and same email came back. I sent the person back a nasty email telling them that I had emailed them before and they had a different name and different pictures but same email. I then went on a rant about what I thought of scamming people who just want to give a kitten a home...

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Definately a scam. First she's pregnant and due in 4 weeks, then later she's only 6 months pregnant. Those aren't the kind of details that an honest person would screw up.

If you want to mess with her try writing back something to this effect: "Oh, a pet courier won't be necessary. It's really great that you live in Santa Fe - my (insert whatever fake relative here) lives in Santa Fe too and said they'd be glad to come to your house and pick up the kitty, then fly it here to me. That would be perfect cause they could combine a family visit with the kitty delivery!"

Then sit back and laugh as you watch this scumbag trying to wiggle out of selling you her prized pet. **rolls eyes**

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've looking for rescue Sphynx for some time now. I found one ad that I replied to, and I've gotten a response but online transactions like this make me weary and I thought I'd run this past a group that's more knowledgeable than I on the topic of rescue pets.

I replied to an ad that was listed in Edmonton, AB which is a 3 hour drive from where I live. Said 4 month old old little girl needed to be re-homed cause their family was growing and the owner was worried they wouldn't have time for her.

"Hi
I am selling my loved Sphynx cat. She is 4 months old, fully house trained, loves to have a bath. She is fed on dry food and loves to spend time with people.

This is a sad sale, but due to being pregnant and due in the next 4 weeks i do not feel that we will be able to give her the time and attention she requires.

She is looking for a forever home. She likes other cats and is fine with children. She had never lived with a dog so not sure how they would get along.

Please no more time wasters. This is a genuine sale of a family cat which is going to cause heartache to my children so please only contact if you are serious and genuine.

"

I replied as I'm genuinely looking for a companion for me and my son (I'm a stay home mom) and it seemed almost too good to be true since it was listed so close to us, I figured we could go pick her up and they were only asking a nominal fee. Sounded great.

The reply comes back and I'll quote the 2 paragraphs that sent up red flags.

"We are a lovely home, my husband, myself and one kid living down town but we have been transfered to Santa FE springs CA where my husband has a new job as an auditor.
We are now located in Santa FE and we are giving kiki out for several reasons:Firstly, our new home policies does not involve keeping pets, Secondly, i am 6 months pregnant, i guess i will loose attention to her when i give birth, since my husband is working longer hours so we are left with no choice than to give her away to any lovely home .

She can only be delivered to your location(home) via a pet and animal transport company considering the distance involve,i hope you are okay with kiki being transported to your location.
I would have prefare you come here and pick her up but i guess distance is a problem.the pet delivery services do a home delivery and so we have nothing to worry about the delays at the airport and all that.. the pet gets delivered right to your door step, we are giving kiki out for free adoption and all you will have to do is pay for the delivery/shipping fee and the change of ownership papers..we do consider the fact that there will be a delivery charge involve by the pet delivery services so we have eliminated any charge placed on the pets, all you will now be doing is handling the delivery charges to your location."

Honestly I'm thrown that the listing was for a Canadian location when they have "relocated" to California. It could be legit and I'm willing to tread lightly but ...

1. I was wondering if you fine folks would deem this to be a sort of bait and switch or a scam?

2. If you think it could be legit, how would you recommend going forward? I know nothing about pet delivery services (how they are paid/how much it costs) and how would you recommend me asking her to prove that the cat is in fact a Sphynx and not some alley cat?

I should add that she did send some pictures along with the reply email but who's to say they are of the kitten I would be receiving ..if.. this all when ahead?

Thanks for taking the time to read over this, I really appreciate it. It's nice to have a sounding board to bounce ideas off of when I'm uncertain.

Well lets see: she says originally she is due in 4 weeks, yet is only 6 months pregnant??? since when do people schedule a delivery at 7 months???

The cat is free, yet you have to pay for ownership papers?? i'd say "keep the papers" LOL:LOL: but really, she's asking for a FEE

DONT DO IT!!! BIG BIG BIG SCAM!!!!!

Look for a breeder in your area. Maybe they have a kitty who they'll sell for cheaper due to not being show quality, etc.. or maybe if you get ahold of a breeder they can put you in contact with a rescue.

holly_savage

Banned
def. a scam...I have discovered that in other postings on kijiji...send me the add/email I'd like to play with them too! I LOVE to mess with these people and then let loose on them. I think it has become one of my great goals inlife to irritate these scammers! ANd also to report it to the website hosting the posting.

Inferno12

Banned
def. a scam...I have discovered that in other postings on kijiji...send me the add/email I'd like to play with them too! I LOVE to mess with these people and then let loose on them. I think it has become one of my great goals inlife to irritate these scammers! ANd also to report it to the website hosting the posting.

LOL...this became my goal when I was looking for my african grey. They are the same exact emals but its a bird and not a cat. I mess with them and then let them have it! It was fun :LOL::LOL::LOL:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Alysha, I'm so glad you paid attention when those red flags went up. Scammers are an awful bunch. Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help someone else. Don't give up though, your Sphynx will come! Good luck.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So happy you asked before just going with it! Scam all the way people are such jerks!!!!
Keep looking you will find one! We just got Deejay he is 9 and needed to be rehomed and I was not really looking he just popped up.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:Angry::Angry::Angry:poxy scammers!!!

So sorry you had to experience this but so glad you checked here before paying out money and being heartbroken.

Keep searching...your dream baby will come along when the time is right.
#
X

Alysha

Lairian
Thanks everyone! No harm, no foul and I did suspect this would be the response. If nothing else hopefully this thread may help someone else.

And I'm certainly not giving up my search, this journey has only just begun. :Wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back