Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rescue people are the best!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, by now it's a well known fact I'm very rescue oriented, I hate seeing anything suffer! For years now I've been on an e-mail list from the local Humane Society, when they get in "unadoptable" dogs, they sent out an e-mail to rescue groups asking them if any of them would be willing to take them in. Well, normally I will only take Afghans and Italian Greyhounds as much as I'd like to take them all! Well, this last list must have found me in an especially soft mood, there where FIVE dogs that really tugged my heart strings hard. An 8 year old ****er with tumors that they suspect have already spread to his lungs, so he's not going to have a long life, but deserves to live out the last of his days in comfort in a loving home, a 6 year old ****er that came in with him that was so badly matted that she has massive skin infections from the matted hair, a 8 1/2 year old ****er/poodle mix that has mild occasional seizures, a 13 year old doxie - Nothing wrong with her, she's just older, and a 10 year old doxie that also has mild occasional seizures and has some bad disks in her back. Now I'll admit I'm a sucker to begin with for ****ers, I had a ****er mix as my first small dog, she was rescued from a humane society, only had her a few months before she crossed the bridge but I'll never forget my Annie. Because of her that soft spot grew and when I saw the faces of these 5 I couldn't ignore it, so I started sending out some e-mails, making some calls, and within a couple of hours, I started getting calls and e-mails back! Wouldn't you know, in just a few hours of work ALL FIVE OF THESE DOGS ARE NOW SAFE! The ****er is going to a rescue in Arizona that has a rep for taking these special needs dogs that don't have long left, a doxie rescuer in Arizona is taking both of the doxies, a home right near me is taking the 6 year old ****er, and the ****-a-poo I'm taking and putting in one of my foster homes until I can find a good forever home for him. I can't believe how quickly and easily I have found places for all of these 5 dogs, I am always amazed at rescue people when they come together to help animals!!!!!!!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definatly a job well done! They aren't all going to forever homes, at least not yet, but at least they all have a safe place to hang their leash and call home until the right forever homes come along for them! In my 5 years of actively doing rescue, I'm always amazed at what other rescue people will do, both good and sometimes bad, but especially when I get involved with ****er, springer, and brittany people! They have massive networks all over the country, I never see a brittany in a shelter that brittany rescue isn't already working to get it out, simply amazing!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
YAY!! It's heart warming to know that there's such a network of great people out there and that there is someone as warm hearted as you out there to help find these great people! You deserve a big pat on the back as much as they do! :ThumbsUp:

X

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
YAY!! It's heart warming to know that there's such a network of great people out there and that there is someone as warm hearted as you out there to help find these great people! You deserve a big pat on the back as much as they do! :ThumbsUp:

X
Maybe so, but really I'm just a soft hearted sucker LOL ESPECIALLY with seniors, special needs, deaf dogs, and dogs that have been severely neglected. The 2 ****ers where both definatly in that boat, neither of them had probably been groomed before, and I mean EVER, the little girl had horrendious skin infections from probably getting wet at some point and never being able to get dry because the matted hair held the moisture against her skin :( The boy has several tumors, that unfortunatly they think have already spread to his lungs, but he's still spunky and has a pretty good quality of life, so he deserves the chance to lounge on a sofa and know the good life before his time comes to cross the bridge! If I had been in a position where I could have brought home another dog, he would have been coming home with me! I've had several dogs that I took home and loved knowing fully well I wouldn't have them for long, but those last days with a special dog are worth so much! I look at my old Afghan, she was so badly neglected when I rescued her, and now I look at her, she's almost blind, she's got arthritis, and she's got her health problems, but she is so loyal and devoted to me now, I have never looked back once at taking her in, the money, the time, the energy - It's all been SOOOO worth it!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow that is awesome! I saw your post on facebook about it. I glad you found homes for them that fast!! That is truly amazing! Great job!!!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm confused as to what breed of dog is being talked about. I see it getting filtered to '****er' -- is there a way to turn off the filter?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's a spaniel...but the first four letters of it's breed (according to the filter) are rude...same first four letters as a male chicken!! :LOL:

X

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's a spaniel...but the first four letters of it's breed (according to the filter) are rude...same first four letters as a male chicken!! :LOL:

X

With all the time I spend on the internet (and being male) I'd think I would have thought of that.

Thanks!

btw, sorry for derailing thread, my applause for rescuers!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
ROFL See, I'm way to much a dog person, I never even thought twice about that being filtered!!! I'm very pleased that I was able to find these dogs places so quickly - I love the spaniels, I've had springers, I've had co ckers (notice the space I added LOL), I've had cavaliers, all are just wonderful litte dogs! I will admit I prefer the temperment and personalities of my sighthounds, but especially the co ckers - the spaniels will always hold a spot near and dear to my heart. I had a bichon co cker mix that I loved dearly, she as only with me 6 months before I had to help her over the bridge, but those 6 months changed me forever and opened my eyes to the plight of the elderly and special needs dogs in the shelter. Ever since her I've never been able to hear about an old co cker or co cker mix in a shelter and not try to do something to make sure it gets into a loving, caring place where it can live out the rest of it's life in peace and die with dignity and having known true love.

Back