Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ringworm or???....

Beesley13

Lairian
Hey everyone!

So I'm a new sphynx mama, I've had my boy Beesley for 2 months now and we found a little dry patch on him. I normally would just assume it was dry skin but apparently, he was treated for ringworm back in November 2017.

Can ringworm come back? We have no other animals, and he supposedly did not have it when he came into his new home environment, so I don't know how he could become exposed to it again?

I read that they are healthy carriers after it but I haven't seen anything saying that they'll get it again if they've had it before.

I first noticed the patch two days ago and it seemed a bit more raw, but there has been no redness, now its just dry all around but not scabby.

I'm waiting on his old vet to send me his papers so I can pop into a local vet, but I don't know if I'm overreacting?

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 65

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone!

So I'm a new sphynx mama, I've had my boy Beesley for 2 months now and we found a little dry patch on him. I normally would just assume it was dry skin but apparently, he was treated for ringworm back in November 2017.

Can ringworm come back? We have no other animals, and he supposedly did not have it when he came into his new home environment, so I don't know how he could become exposed to it again?

I read that they are healthy carriers after it but I haven't seen anything saying that they'll get it again if they've had it before.

I first noticed the patch two days ago and it seemed a bit more raw, but there has been no redness, now its just dry all around but not scabby.

I'm waiting on his old vet to send me his papers so I can pop into a local vet, but I don't know if I'm overreacting?
It"s hard to tell in the pic, @Catzzzmeow had a lot of experience with ringworm- perhaps she will chime in. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I copied this for you:

The fungal spores can also stay alive on clothing, bedding, and elsewhere as long as their food supply (dead skin cells) is present, and they have a moist and warm environment. Spores can live for as long as 12 to 20 months in the right environment.

So yes it is possible that they can get it again if they come into contact with a spore from the previous bout with ringworm. Take note they say in the right environment. I will remain positive and think not likely. If only one spot, just get it checked out like you are just in case. Please keep us posted. @beeseley13

Beesley13

Lairian
Thank you both of you! It’s just weird because everything here is brand new and we didn’t bring anything home with him from his old home. I put some coconut oil on it and it looks a lot better but now a new blotch has appeared on top of his head but there’s no dry skin or anything just discoloration.

I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow, we’ve been hit with a heat wave and it’s been a bit muggy so I hope it’s just Some dry skin but we’ll see. Will let you know!

Beesley13

Lairian
Sorry for the late reply!!
The Vet said he would not be worried at all, and that it is so unlikely he could have it since hes been isolated from other animals and his old environment for months. And the spot has gotten so much better, we've been experiencing a change in weather so i think he just got some irritated skin.

Thanks for checking in :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yay so happy to see your update. It was highly unlikely it was ringworm, but glad you checked...kudos.

Last edited:
Back