Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey All,
My Poor baby kittens got Ringworm a couple weeks ago and we put on a Cream that healed them quickly. However, Now they have these very dark brown/black spots where ever they had their Ringworm before. Is this Scarring? If not what is this and will it go away? I need to send them to their new homes soon and I don't want to do that when they look like this. Any Advice would be Awesome and Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg
    FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 398

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We rescued a naked girl years ago (bless her soul she is now over the rainbow bridge) who had ringworm. We had no idea until I got ringworm. We did the baths and ointment, but she did have dark marks that never left...so yes scarring is an issue on black/dark colored Sphynx. Our pinky got it and no scars were left. From my experience, dark colored Sphynx are prone to pigmentation issues, freckles from sun etc. perhaps others have not had the same experience though.

Patti

Last edited:

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Thank You for Replying :) I am happy to know that this isnt something more serious like a Allergic Reaction or Cancer of some sort. Thanks for your info on the Skin Pigmentation as well, Because I was wondering why my darker sphynx cats were usually the targets for dark spots, etc.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Sphnxophelia If you want me to look back at old pics I will gladly do so so you can see. The spots faded a bit and looked like freckles. If so, PM me your email address and I will try to see if I can find some pics for you.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleopatra came to us as a 3-month-old kitten with dark scars like freckles. They were the aftereffects of the ringworm that her mother had while she was pregnant, and apparently passed to the kittens. The babies and mom were not put up for adoption until the ringworm completely cleared up, but the scars were still there. Cleo had lots of them, and they looked kind of cute as dark gray spots on her grey skin. By the time she was a year old, most of the scars had faded, and today you can't tell she ever had them. She does have one spot that may be the only remnant of her babyhood problem, but it looks like a freckle. BTW, Cleo was a rescue kitten because of her mom's ringworm--the owners didn't want to keep the pregnant kitty with ringworm and surrendered her to the rescue organization where we got Cleo.
image.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I sent lots of pics to your emaiI address @Sphnxophelia. I am also posting a couple of them here. They do fade, but in darker Sphynx it seems to have a residual effect. I thought of them as beauty marks :) leeloo was purrfect to us. Hope this helps.

Also a reminder to all...when bringing a new kitten in for their first wellness check you can ask the vet to do a black light test. Ringworm only shows up positive 50% of the time using this test, but that is still a huge help. We were sure to ask this to be done when we brought home both of our girls last year. Ringworm is very stressful to an owner with multiple cats...one more reason to keep new kittens separated from other pets until they are checked over. Also vets who are not familiar with Sphynx do not usually know what ringworm looks like on a hairless animal. It can look simply like a freckle and not a ring...and since they have no hair to fall out it can be overlooked.

Patti

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403133868.330034.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403133893.512528.jpg

Patti

Last edited:

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
@Lickleone and @Helsinki Thanks Guys :) I totally agree If the owners wouldn't want them with their minor imperfections then they were probably not the right homes to begin with. Thanks for the re-assurment everyone and all of the advice and pics I got, I now know what these spots are and wont worry about it.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
***Just a update for anybody searching Ringworm scars on this forum - Those same kittens that had these scars before look immaculate now and neither of them have a single scar or spot on them. In this case they did fade over the time of a few months.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yes, they have been in their new homes for nearly a year now. They are perfect and happy, And they went to awesome people :) I've seen them in picture and in person since then and they are healthy and have clear perfect skin.

Thanks for the update. Happy to hear the cats live with awesome people!

Back