Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leanne

Lairian
Im sorry to bother everyone on thanksgiving but i just need to know...could this be ringworm? We discovered it after taking off her shirt ㅠㅠ we have four other animals so it would terrible if it isㅠㅠ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 211

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
There is a strong chance just by the look of it. If you can quarantine until vet check I would. We dealt with ringworm years ago when we rescued a girl. How long has she been in the shirt for this to develop? I also forget how long have you had her?

Other idea might be allergic to fabric/detergent. It just looks so scabby in the middle compared to what ours looked like but the outter ring looks pretty classic.

Patti

Last edited:

Leanne

Lairian
Ive had her for 10 days and i bought the shirt 4 days ago but never checked her armpits--theres a little on the other side too

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh man, that looks like it could be ringworm.

Here is a treatment if you cannot get into the vet soon:

First, infected pets should be separated from those that show no evidence of the disease. I like to clip the area of the infection and then vigorously scrub it frequently with “tame” iodine (povone iodine, Povidine, Betadine) scrub. Do not use tincture of iodine. Iodine scrub kills fungus (fungicidal) and also removes much of the infected skin flakes that spread the disease.
Vacuum your house and scrub down kennels to remove fungal spores. Throw away the vacuum cleaner bag once you are done. Be sure to wear gloves when you treat or handle infected pets so you don’t become infected or spread it to other pets.

Not sure if you would want to put a cone on too if she is licking at it.

I remember having ringworm as a kid, and mom always treated it with iodine. It cleared it right up.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't leave them in clothes more than 4 hours at a time. Their skin needs to breathe and dry out, and it can be a safety issue too if they are unsupervised.

Leanne

Lairian
Oh my goodness ㅠㅠ she seperated now i cant tell if the others have it ㅠㅠ suddently i feel itchy and both dogs just scracthed themselves lol maybe im paranoid but i realy hope its just from the clothes ㅠㅠ

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hang in there...if spots are on the other side same place it might just be the sweater...but I would keep separated until vet confirms. Hoping it is just the sweater...remain positive.

It usually takes about 2 weeks for others to show signs. I ended up getting it as well as other kitties...only hubby escaped it...arghhh. Figures.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Happy Thanksgiving! I was getting itchy just reading it.... hope you guys get it cleared up soon!

Leanne

Lairian
Before i discovered that i also found she has possibly an infection in her toes? ㅠㅠ oh my goodness getting stressed--if i cant keep whatever it is from going to my other four thats all i can ask for

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 194

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Before i discovered that i also found she has possibly an infection in her toes? ㅠㅠ oh my goodness getting stressed--if i cant keep whatever it is from going to my other four thats all i can ask for
Is that paw sore? If you suspect infection, you can try to soak it in some warm salt water. Or wrap a clean cloth soaked in warm salt water around it.

Sounds like she is having a few issues. Have you been in touch with the breeder at all?

Leanne

Lairian
@MollysMom Shes a rescue so we dont know anything about her--we suspect shes older and i know she has teeth problems but that all ㅠㅠ we think she was thrown away by a bad breeder :(

I suppose ringworm is the least severe of all the things she could have had but the thought of trying to get rid of ringworm in a house with 2 humans and 5 animals seems horrible...

I dont even know where to start--the others arnt showing symptoms but i feel itchy and i feel like the dogs are scratching but it could be in my head ㅠㅠ

My thesis defense is coming up for grad school and i knew it was a bad time to be rescuing a cat but i just couldnt let her be euthanized at rhe shelter--hopefully i can contain it ㅠㅠ

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom Shes a rescue so we dont know anything about her--we suspect shes older and i know she has teeth problems but that all ㅠㅠ we think she was thrown away by a bad breeder :(

I suppose ringworm is the least severe of all the things she could have had but the thought of trying to get rid of ringworm in a house with 2 humans and 5 animals seems horrible...

I dont even know where to start--the others arnt showing symptoms but i feel itchy and i feel like the dogs are scratching but it could be in my head ㅠㅠ

My thesis defense is coming up for grad school and i knew it was a bad time to be rescuing a cat but i just couldnt let her be euthanized at rhe shelter--hopefully i can contain it ㅠㅠ
Yeah ok, that makes more sense now... yeesh sounds like you have your hands full!! I would keep her isolated and scrub down any and all surfaces with bleach and water solution. Vacuum like crazy. Handle her with disposable gloves only until you get it sorted. Bless your heart for taking her in.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Leanne .sending Happy Thanksgiving thoughts and prayers things settle down for you and team Chromy-
Mollysmom and Patti Have good advice--

We had 6 pets when I grew up - if it is ringworm- not all may get it- only me and the dog got it-
All other pets and people escaped it- the vet treated me and Major dog-
Hoping it is not ring worm - but does look suspicious -

Is it only where the sweater covered?

Hoping you get an answer and a treatment plan for little Chromy!
We are pulling for you to hear good news!

I have also done paw soaks-
With a bowl of water- adding 2-3 drops of povidine or betadine- per my vet years ago - goes in red and clears when mixed
(It stains put of the bottle so don't drip on clothes )

I dipped the foot if they tolerate or dip a face cloth in the water and wipe down feet area-
**Ask your vet about the soaks - I like the salt soaks too

Sending healing prayers and good vibes to You Chromy and your other babies!

You saved this girl! We are pulling for you!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Leanne , wow, you are going through some roller-coaster times with this poor little girl! I don't have any advice about ringworm, but I just wanted to say that you really are doing a great thing in saving Chromy's life. I hope you find that it is not ringworm or any other fungus, but if it is, I hope that you will be able to handle it along with all of your other challenges. Good luck to you--we are all rooting for you!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I sure pray This girl gets all the health issues over with.
Bless her heart. It just irritates me to the bone because people
are so evil, heartless, I tell you. To poor helpless animals.
I would like to see them put in jail for at least 25 years and NEVER
have the right to own another animal.

Leanne

Lairian
My vet thinks its ringworm--she took sample but she said the results wont come out for a week--she has two days of other meds left to finish so she said come back sunday and get the ringworm meds. she also things the foot is ringworm too.

I asked about the others and she said not to worry if i kept her quarantined--except i am worried they could still get it from our clothes or hands (we tried to wash our hands as best we could but theres always a possibilty). the vet said after one week if theres no symptoms then the others are fine. both dogs are scratching at the moment--i cant remember how much scratching is normal for them so thats scary ㅠㅠ

so that means i just wait? ㅠㅠ is there anything i can do while i wait? She said not to bathe her and i dont need to clean everything but i thought i def have to clean out her bed and stuff--i guess she means i dont have to until she starts treatment? This doctor is really nice and gives us discounts but i feel like shes also really laid back and at time not so thourough--maybe in just paranoid ㅠㅠ

I guess all i can do is wait! Happy black friday to those of you out shopping!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My vet thinks its ringworm--she took sample but she said the results wont come out for a week--she has two days of other meds left to finish so she said come back sunday and get the ringworm meds. she also things the foot is ringworm too.

I asked about the others and she said not to worry if i kept her quarantined--except i am worried they could still get it from our clothes or hands (we tried to wash our hands as best we could but theres always a possibilty). the vet said after one week if theres no symptoms then the others are fine. both dogs are scratching at the moment--i cant remember how much scratching is normal for them so thats scary ㅠㅠ

so that means i just wait? ㅠㅠ is there anything i can do while i wait? She said not to bathe her and i dont need to clean everything but i thought i def have to clean out her bed and stuff--i guess she means i dont have to until she starts treatment? This doctor is really nice and gives us discounts but i feel like shes also really laid back and at time not so thourough--maybe in just paranoid ㅠㅠ

Glad you got in to the vet!!

Mmmmn, I dunno about the other pets not getting it. I read that some can be carriers, but not show symptoms... I think I would rather be safe than sorry.

From web MD pets:

How Can I Prevent Ringworm from Spreading?

If your veterinarian has diagnosed your pet with ringworm, he or she will explain what you must do to prevent the fungus from spreading to your other pets-and to the human members of the household. This is especially important because the fungus is difficult to kill and can live in the environment for several months. Your vet may recommend baths with a medicated shampoo for all your pets, and will likely suggest washing, disinfecting or even discarding the infected animal’s bedding, equipment and toys. According to ASPCA experts, the best disinfectant to use is 1 part bleach diluted with 10 parts water. And since ringworm can survive on hair and skin that your pet sheds, frequent vacuuming can help prevent transmission of the infection-but don’t forget to change the vacuum bag!

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Here are a few threads I found on ringworm that may help -
http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/frustrated-and-robbed-of-great-experience-ringworm.11960/
http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/aahhh-now-ringworm.7392/
http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-kitten-with-ringworm.9492/

Leanne

Lairian
@Yoda mom thanks for the tips! hope you had a good Thanksgiving and Black Friday!

I'm just wondering....the vet said to make sure i wash my hands if i touch her but does that mean that i shouldn't touch her or hold her?

We have her seperated and she just cries for me to come in there with her--she only eats if i hold the dish and pet her, so i went in and she climbed into my lap...i know i have to be careful about spreading but do people usually avoid contact with animals with ringworm? I don't know if that's possible with her lol maybe I'm being dramatic but i feel like she needs me... she just kept crying and then she bit the waxy black thing off the tip of her tail (the tail was another problem we hadn't even gotten to yet) and now its bleeding a little but it seemed like she was upset that i was not coming to her and took it out on her tail...

if i wash my clothes after can i hold her? i don't want to infect the others but i don't want her to suffer too much or not eat either :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Leanne , so glad you got her to the vet- I would follow vets advice - they come in contact with ringworm in their clinics and not all the other clients get it- I read somewhere you can get an anti fungal laundry detergent in addition to the bleach mix for laundry-
Perhaps a Box of disposable gloves when handling
I am sure she doesn't like her quarantine but each Day is closer to her healing -
She is in the best of love and care with you- I send healing wishes for Chromy and good vibes for all your babies!
We are here for you!
Take one day at a time and things will settle down

Can you post a pic of her tail?

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-ringworm-fungus/

Back