Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rocket aka Buzz

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
Hi! My wife and I just got our first sphynx and are already in love. Rocket aka Buzz is such a sweet boy and a constant purrer. I can nearly hear him purr from other rooms lol transition with our 10yr old puggle and 2 year old 3 legged cat tabby (super sweet) has been super easy and within 2 weeks they are already best of friends. Unfortunately we have had some upsets though. Our kitten came in with loose stool and at almost a month now we are now at bloody diarrhea. Luckily I worked at a vet for years and one of my close friends is a vet so we have been discussing his gut issue. My breeder is also my friend who I’ve known for years and I know without a doubt he didn’t sell me an unhealthy kitten. He came in looking absolutely amazing and super active. This morning I made him a bland diet of chicken and rice and currently on a very low dose of metronidazole. Any suggestions for a sensitive stomach food for a kitten? We used to prescribe hills and royal canine special diets along with a bland diet until a new kibble can be introduced. Has anyone else had this issue with a new kitten? Also just wanted to say thank you for everyone’s knowledgeable post from the past. I have enjoyed reading others post.

Attachments

• 2510679D-1576-4525-9E55-6DBE8E2C8110.jpeg
    2510679D-1576-4525-9E55-6DBE8E2C8110.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 65

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has he had a fecal done at the vet? It sounds a lot like what we went through when our second boy came home, and he was diagnosed with Giardia. After two rounds of meds his poop was blood free and solid.

Buzz is soooo cute! I love his little pink nose

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
Hey yes, we tested it within the first week and returned negative. Since false negatives are not too uncommon we had it tested again. They tested in house and sent it out to antech. Thank you! He has the best personality too. Its sad to see him not feeling his best though.

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
I guess I should have added he was on Orijen beef and today I started him on a simple blend of white rice and boiled chicken. He is a big eater so he didn’t hesitate to chow down. I will continue this for a bit and slowly change him back to his breeders diet of Primal fd nuggets. The only reason why I was changing him was to get him on the same brand as my other cat to prevent feeding 2 different foods as my other cat is picky and would be difficult to switch her to another.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I wonder if he could be reacting to a certain protein? I would feed him the boiled chicken for several days and see if it improves.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rocketbuzz ,welcome to the lair family! Happy Rocket / Buzz Gotcha! soo cute, all paws are lair family so love to see pics of his besties :)

I wanted to share fwiw, my 4 sphynx got loose bloody stool on Acana Grasslands, made by same company as Orijen.

I did switch food years ago and no more issues. I feed Hills Urinary Hairball kibble ( urinary formulas as you know from your work often good for poo issues bcz of higher fiber content) , and Nutrisource cat/kitten food. for wet food they eat royal canin sensitive stomach or proplan urinary focus for my adults.

feeding the Hills and nutrisource for years Solid stools, no poo issues. oldest turning 10. lots of great food choices out there. you will find what works best for your baby.

keep us updated!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Rocket is so adorable. And handsome!
My boy Toa had diarrhea for the first six months. Tried all kind of meds without any luck. I finally switched to raw food and after two days his poops were solid. Now he eats normal wet food and does well on that too. It's difficult to find out what is causing the diarrhea so keep positive!

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
Thank you all for the help and sweet reply’s! I have him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and his stool has made it to the mustard yellow mushy stool which is much better than the watery bloody diarrhea. The breeder had him on Primal. I added it back in with just a quarter of a nugget and immediately he had diarrhea again. I will wait till his stool is back to normal and slowly add it back in. I will keep y’all updated. Thank you all :)

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
So for an update, Rocket still hasn’t gotten better even put him on Royal Canin GI along with probiotics. The GI food made him have uncontrollable diarrhea! The only thing we have noticed was cooked chicken seemed to at least make his stool not bloody and is more of a “pudding” style (gross I know lol.) Sadly we have only seen him be himself only a handful of times in over a month. The rest of the time you can clearly tell he isn’t feeling good. I will be keeping him on organic cooked chicken and supplements for the moment until we can hopefully get his stool normal then we will try Nature’s Variety Instinct in chicken. On a positive note I caught him in this pic while playing with his sister. He was a riot this day feeling great!
7EEDE3B3-0C32-49E6-A39F-3EA418104BE2.jpeg
EC9FF244-D0DE-4DEB-BD75-C65B8540733B.jpeg

Sheldon13

Staff member
Omg I love the open mouth pic that is too cute!

What are your thoughts on raw diet?

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
@Rocketbuzz , hello, checking in for updates on your baby
Hey, first off thank you for checking in. We found out he has multiple diseases 5 different in fact (crypto) being the most common but treatable. He has been in probiotics, 100% psyllium, dewormed, metronidazole, and 3 weeks on Tylosin. We also have him on a limited diet and no improvement. We are at full blown IBD now with a severally inflamed gut. However I will say he’s at a healthy weight at 4.8lbs at 4months. We just recently did a TLI test to check his pancreas so waiting on those results. We are at the point of a possible fecal transplant, ultrasound, and full panel bloodwork. What are your takes on a raw diet?

Attachments

• CA4017AC-466A-47EC-811A-FCDC29E37157.jpeg
    CA4017AC-466A-47EC-811A-FCDC29E37157.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 38

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
@Rocketbuzz , hello, checking in for updates on your baby
Hey, first off thank you for checking in. We found out he has multiple diseases 5 different in fact (crypto) being the most common but treatable. He has been in probiotics, 100% psyllium, dewormed, metronidazole, and 3 weeks on Tylosin. We also have him on a limited diet and no improvement. We are at full blown IBD now with a severally inflamed gut. However I will say he’s at a healthy weight at 4.8lbs at 4months. We just recently did a TLI test to check his pancreas so waiting on those results. We are at the point of a possible fecal transplant, ultrasound, and full panel bloodwork. What are your takes on a raw diet?

Thank you! That’s what we are looking into at the moment.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your kitty is sure cute. It is tough when they aren’t feeling well. I know there are people who swear by raw diets. My vet does not recommend them. She says they don’t get all of the nutrients that they need. I buy my food from my vet. Royal Canin dental dry, heigh fibre dry, and wet high fibre. My kitty has anal gland issues which is why so much fibre. (I did a fibre % comparison and price comparison with the Royal Canin in a pet store and it wasn’t as high as the vet Royal Canin but my kitty is worth the higher price!) lol

Could he be eating food that isn’t intended for him? When I brought my kitty home from my breeder she had stomach issues. The breeder said she had gotten into dog food. Luckily probiotics and the Royal Canin helped.

please post more pictures! He looks like quite the character!

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
Your kitty is sure cute. It is tough when they aren’t feeling well. I know there are people who swear by raw diets. My vet does not recommend them. She says they don’t get all of the nutrients that they need. I buy my food from my vet. Royal Canin dental dry, heigh fibre dry, and wet high fibre. My kitty has anal gland issues which is why so much fibre. (I did a fibre % comparison and price comparison with the Royal Canin in a pet store and it wasn’t as high as the vet Royal Canin but my kitty is worth the higher price!) lol

Could he be eating food that isn’t intended for him? When I brought my kitty home from my breeder she had stomach issues. The breeder said she had gotten into dog food. Luckily probiotics and the Royal Canin helped.

please post more pictures! He looks like quite the character!
thank you. We have ruled out most of the food issues at the moment but still are up to possibly trying rabbit kibble or go full raw. It’s been a long and complicated matter unfortunately.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
NO KIBBLE.

I would start with bone broth. You could try raw food right off the bat, but if the gut is damaged severely it needs a chance to heal. I'm linking to a severe case of IBD that was successfully cured. Notice they say "constant diarrhea erodes the lining of the gut, making normal function impossible."

Clicky:
StackPath

Here is a video on making bone broth. This is very easy. She doesn't add any probiotics but you could if you wanted to. Also digestive enzymes could be added. Both are recommended in the IBD article....I'm not sure if Rocket has IBD or not but anyway you can decide.

Just a word of caution - you can't feed just bone broth indefinitely because it's not "balanced" food. A week is not a problem though, and then you can transition to something permanent. The typical cat sees improvement in a day or 2 so it's usually a fast process.

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
NO KIBBLE.

I would start with bone broth. You could try raw food right off the bat, but if the gut is damaged severely it needs a chance to heal. I'm linking to a severe case of IBD that was successfully cured. Notice they say "constant diarrhea erodes the lining of the gut, making normal function impossible."

Clicky:
StackPath

Here is a video on making bone broth. This is very easy. She doesn't add any probiotics but you could if you wanted to. Also digestive enzymes could be added. Both are recommended in the IBD article....I'm not sure if Rocket has IBD or not but anyway you can decide.

Just a word of caution - you can't feed just bone broth indefinitely because it's not "balanced" food. A week is not a problem though, and then you can transition to something permanent. The typical cat sees improvement in a day or 2 so it's usually a fast process.

Completely agree with this.

And I think the vets who are against a raw diet don’t realize that when you make the food up you add supplements to it to make it complete. They are just assuming you throw a chicken leg at them and be fine with it.

It’s a lot to learn right at first, but after a few days of study and your first batch made up and you will be an expert. I highly recommend starting with rabbit. I order rabbit from here: Product | Hare Today as it already has the bone and organ needed.

Then add this supplement to it following the directions: Product | Hare Today

This is the best place to start your research: StackPath

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Rocketbuzz I was remembering a similar issue from another member on the Lair so here is a link to that thread

Rocketbuzz

Lairian
Update on Rocket...we are at 3 weeks on Raw Rabbit from Stella and Chewy and have seen huge results. We are nearing solid stool and the smell isn’t near as bad. Although we have seen major results we also see that his hunger for this food is out of this world. He is right at 5 months now and 4.5lbs, his appetite is outrageous eating around 40+ pellets a day. He finished an entire bag (the smaller bag) in 5 days. My question is do they really eat this amount? It’s not a problem if they do but he’s eating the amount of a 15lb cat. If this continues and he’s not gaining weight we will be getting an ultrasound.
82B98525-8F0C-4CF2-8481-EB5623549133.jpeg

Back