Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rough hair, rash, and constant flaking

Kumoandkaze

Lairian
Hi!
My Sphynx(Kumo) is 6months old and has been having many skin issues. It started about two months ago and the vet at the time said it looked normal and it was probably acne. It didn't look like acne to me so have changed his food to grain free and also tried chicken free. I bathe them weekly and was using coconut oil as a pre bath lather and thought that might be the cause so I tried olive oil. I have changed the soap I use on him as well, from baby shampoo, all natural baby shampoos, kitten soap, and emu oil shampoo. None have made a difference. He is constantly flaky and rashy and gets little red bumps all over his body(looks like little ant bites) I can rule out bugs because my other baby does not have any bumps and is very soft. Kumo on the other hand feels like a pig(very coarse hairs like a rough beard)

It is hard to get the bumps in the photo since it doesn't show up well. I took the pic right after his bath so his flaky skin was washed off. I have taken him to a new vet again a few days ago and she is treating him for yeast and hopes it resolves and isnt a bigger issue.

Has anyone else has this issue?? is the rough hair normal?? Even his breeder thought I shaved him when we went for a visit because he is so rough.

Attachments

• IMG_7809.JPG
    IMG_7809.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7812.JPG
    IMG_7812.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 59

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kumoandkaze , welco,e to the lair family
Sorry your baby is having skin issues
Here is a thread that may have some useful info
Sphynx Skin Conditions

I am sure others will chime in too

Many years ago I changed to Hylyt shampoo ( at my vets and online )
"Hylyt has produced a line of hypoallergenic products for pets with normal, dry, or sensitive skin. The product line includes a shampoo, crème rinse, and a bath spray. They all contain essential fatty acids which may help with flaking and scaling skin. The shampoo is a soap-free formula, which may help protect against drying of the skin. The crème rinse includes natural moisturizing factors to promote hydration, improve shine, and reduce static electricity, tangles, and snarls. The bath spray can be used between baths or after a bath as a spray or a rinse. "

It's soap free hypoallergenic ... They make Avenalyt too which I like too for my 4 nakids.

"What is AvenaLyt shampoo: AvenaLyt shampoo is a soap free shampoo that also contains vitamins, aloe vera, and colloidal oatmeal. It can be used for bathing purposes as well as to help alleviate dry, itchy skin in dogs and cats. It is marketed to help with environmental stresses such as heat, cold, humidity, and harsh shampoos. "

Some of us have found overbathing and multiple products can sometimes cause skin issues -

I switched and keep it simple now , Hylyt shampoo with a little avenalyt shampoo. For stubborn areas a teeeeeenie dab of d'grease shampoo recommended by several members - that needs to be rinsed extremely well .
You want to give the skin a chance to do its natural think too .
I can go a month without bathing with wipe downs as needed .

I actually put a few drops of Hylt with baby face clothes in a warm pticher of water instead of baby wipes they can be Senstive to.

How long has he been on the new food? Any change of litter ? Sometimes scented litters can cause issues . Just trying to help brainstorm .
I sketched my crew to actually grain inclusive Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag (no recalls but does have chicken )
All 4 of mine do great on it with no skin or poo issues

Hairlessness can vary too . My sphynx cat is hairy and fuzzy! Why?

Members will surely chime in

Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch
Will be following for updates

Last edited:
Back