Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rough Night

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I made it work but will be running home on lunch to check on my Baby Tooth!

I sat bolt upright in bed last night at about 11:45 when I heard Toothless make such a sad little whine; she never talks!!
I get to the bedroom door to see her zooming down the hall for the bathroom I turn on the light in time to see her trying (but failing) to make it to the litter box as the completely liquid poop is shooting out of her!

She was SO upset with herself, she has NEVER had this happen before!

I console her as I'm trying to clean the bathroom floor without waking up the whole house, when she twitches and meows again jumping off my lap and heading for the hall way where she proceeded to start trying to vomit. She did this a total of 5 times in less them about 3mins. She only managed to get a little bit of completely clear bile.

I spent the night wrapped up with her in the heated blanket on the sofa, she seemed to be resting comfortably.

I messaged my sister this morning who works for our vets office as a tech and they are SWAMPED, even for family (AND AN EMERGENCY IN MY OPINION) they cant get us in until Thursday!!!

My sister says she is willing to come over this weekend and look at her (shes a vet tech) draw some blood and take a fecal. That way at least we would get those results back come Monday or Tuesday and if they show anything really bad then we might be able to get an after hours appointment right away.

I'm so upset I don't even know what to do with myself!!

Toothless never gets sick!!!

We haven't anything littler, diet, or cleaning related!!

I don't know what the problem could be. 90513

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Feel better Toothless. Sorry to hear she is under the weather. Sometimes that happens. I hope a vet visit or just some time will get her righted. Keep us updated

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MelissaAlice oh no! Poor Toothless
Any chance she ingested plants ? Other no no items?

Is she eating and drinking today ?
Be sure to check for dehydration - Turgor test

Big hugs to you and positive vibes head smooches
Following closely

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With her it's completely possible that she got into something.
There aren't any plants in the house at the moment so not that, but the kids don't understand the importance of picking up after themselves. Toothless is bad for following them around and eating things, even non food things!

She did eat a little this morning, not as much as normal but she did.
She was drinking this morning and she did drink last night before she curled up with me on the sofa.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh poor Toothless! And poor you. Can imagine you're worried sick. Hopefully no more diarrhea and vomiting now.
Did she drink? Think that's the most important for now.
Did she ate something she shouldn't? Sounds like food poisining?
Sending healing vibes to Tooth and hugs to you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MelissaAlice
Does your vet have an option for drop off "and check in between their slammed schedule ?
I have had to do that with my girl not ideal but they did get to check her between appoiments or when a customer was a no show .

Will she let you check inside her mouth ?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heading home on lunch now (thank goodness I live so close)
I'm going to see if she will eat a little something.

Is there something I should be feeding her while her tummy is upset?
I know with dogs you can give them rice mixed with some boiled chicken or pumpkin .. is there an equivalent for cats?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's not the most cooperative with vet checks of any kind, and even I have a hard time getting in her mouth.
My sister says if she isn't better she might pick her up and take her to work with her, let her spend the day and hopefully she can get the vet to look at her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Glad you are able to go home and check on her
Here is a dehydration check video

Also sounds gross but check her litter box to see if she passed any unusual objects

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Poor baby. I will continue to look for updates. Hoping it was a one and done incident.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heading home on lunch now (thank goodness I live so close)
I'm going to see if she will eat a little something.

Is there something I should be feeding her while her tummy is upset?
I know with dogs you can give them rice mixed with some boiled chicken or pumpkin .. is there an equivalent for cats?
Go and pick up some slippery elm bark capsules. You open them, mix with some water and tuna juice/ whatever, and let them lap it up. It is completely safe and a natural "pepto bismol" type of gut soothing that helps with diarrhea and vomiting. I have been down that road for 7 years with my little Molly, pm me if you want. I am in canada too, can even text if you need!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom I've used it a few times for Elfie she has IBS. When I first got her she was in really rough shape, but since switching to raw 4yrs ago neither of the girls have had any issues knock on wood

I will stop on my way home from work and grab some slipper elm to try in the mean time!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well she can’t be feeling that bad ...
She meeped at me when I got home to tell me she was hungry, she didn’t eat a whole meal but she did make a good dent.

We are now sitting eating Chinese food and guess whose sandwiched right between us on the sofa trying to snag things that pass to close to her!!

And there again was no runny poops in the box!!

I did get the slippery elm and I will be giving her that momentarily.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh toothless what is going on?
All paws crossed a vet visit will get some answers and relief
Following closely for updates

Hugs n Head smooches

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sending you lots of hugs.

It definitely sounds like something got into her. It'll either work its way out (or already has), or she may need x-rays.

When I know Min has gotten into something I feed a fair amount of Laxatone a couple times a day in the hopes that it'll help push whatever is in there through her system.

Unfortunately, with vomiting and bad poopies, the intestines can tense up and really hold onto whatever is in there or just tense up so badly to cause more vomiting and bad poopies. It's a vicious cycle for some cats.

When Min gets like this the vet has me give her two meds -- one to relax her and the other given just before food to calm the stomach.

I hope you can get into a vet soon.

HUGS HUGS HUGS

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hoping to a quick recovery.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

All of Toothless' test came back clean. She was being a picky girl not wanting to really eat anything until about Tuesday when she all of a sudden decided she was ravenous and has been an eating machine since then!

She actually ate all her breakfast and this morning in record time (she is usually such a slow eater) and then ran over and tried to push Elfie our of her bowl to help clean things up!!

Not sure what it was she got into but I'm very glad she's feeling better!