Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

rubber bald?

dragynflye

Lairian
while waiting for kimo to come home (only ONE MONTH left!!), i can't help but look at other kittens. i've come across the term "rubber bald" several times. i'm wondering if this is a legitimate term used to describe a degree of hairless-ness, or is it a byb term, like "red nose" and "blue nose" in pit bulls, something used by less than scrupulous (or ignorant) breeders trying to make a buck.

any insight, oh esteemed sphynx gurus?

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry I am no help. I have seen this too and I do know that they all have a different degree of hairlessness.:LOL:

So when do you get Kimo? I thought you were getting Kimo a month before I get Casper...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It is just A term and thats it. There is no way anyone can gaurentee the degree of hairlessnes A sphynx has. and they do change from time to time.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree it is just a term.
Look at the contracts from the breeders.
Mine say there is no guarantee that the kitten/cat will not grow hair.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I heard about a breed of Hawaiian (sp?) hairless cats that get called rubber babies...I can't decide if it's cute of derogatory!!

X

gizmo6370

Banned
Yup...they are called Kohona's....they are the most wrinkled rubber baby's you've ever seen....but also because of the wrinkles they can't nurse with their mom....

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yup...they are called Kohona's....they are the most wrinkled rubber baby's you've ever seen....but also because of the wrinkles they can't nurse with their mom....

Oh that's sad about the nursing thing! I saw pictures of them online...there's a lady in England with two of them, and they were very cute! :BigSmile:

X

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Wow I just looked them up! They look like puggles! :LOL::LOL:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
kohona3.jpg

So cute!!!:BigSmile:

X

dragynflye

Lairian
haha kohanas make me cringe! i don't think they're NEARLY as pretty as sphynxes! they look like blobs of melted wax!

tanya, i'm flying to pick up kimo on april 22, so one month from today! still seems sooooo far away, but i have a ton to do between now and then, so hopefully the time will go fast!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i'm wondering if this is a legitimate term used to describe a degree of hairless-ness, or is it a byb term, like "red nose" and "blue nose" in pit bulls, something used by less than scrupulous (or ignorant) breeders trying to make a buck.

any insight, oh esteemed sphynx gurus?

It's just a description on how bald they look feel.

I use it on one of my FAQs to answer the different types (Rubberbald is one end of the spectrum and fuzzy is near the other end.)

It's no guarantee though, even Sphynx with the rubbery/ rubberbald feeling can grow some degree of hair at some point.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
very interesting! I think the pick of the grown up one looks just like a sphnyx... doesn't it?

Congrats on one more month to go! For me the last month flew by.

AthenaAura

Lairian

Oh i just googled the Kohona, I am speechless. I felt a little uncomfortable, it looked very sad. Only 18 in existence? Are they being bred? No hair follicles? I am simply amazed!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I think they are adorable! I wonder if they run parallel to cost and common ailments that our Sphynx seem to come down with. Does anyone know?

zoes mom

Lairian
I've heard of the term sticky bald....again just in relation to how the kitten feels to touch and how hairless. That pic of the bald wrinkly kitty looks alot like a wrinkle dog I can't think of the real name right now. But now I'm going to check out the net for a better look at those kittens lol

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
From the web..." Where a Sphynx feels like a warm peach, a Kohana feels more like a warm candle"...

I don't know if I would want to hug a candle. When they are adult the look like a Spynyx, but I sure like my warm peach to love on.

Treasurecat

Banned
When we got Lula, the breeder described her as "sticky bald". And it was-sticky that is. Once she grew a very slight fuzz, it was a lot more soothing and pleasant to stroke her down her back. Shes still really bald, its just enough fuzz, lol. ;)

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know the aim is to have as hairless as possible. But i'm not a huge fan of the feeling of rubber/ sticky bald. I prefer the peachier feel.

susi794

Staff member
My Moody is rubber bald--no hair on his tail or anywhere else except his nose patch and a tiny amount on his ears--other than that, nothing. I find it rather soothing to stroke him....feels like a baby. My vet says he finds it disturbing--he likes the hairier ones. LOL--to each his own. I have varying degrees of hairlessness in my gang, but Moody is the "nakedest".

Back