Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rude annoying lady...

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Last month our family visited the "Anne of Green Gables Museum" in PEI and of course brought Nofuratu and did a photo shoot for his blog.
As usual we had a large crowd of people develop around us all asking about him and making comments.
Nofuratu was with his pet stroller, just on the ground beside it with his leash and harness on, and was wearing a cool outfit. We also passed out business cards for his blog. So any idiot could tell from the stroller and the clothes that this cat was "my baby"....not just a regular cat on a leash...
This older lady said super loud so the whole crowd could hear, in a really mean, snarky tone of voice "Well that must have set you back a few bucks!"
I was so irked by her tone....like she was suggesting he was just a bag of money and not "My baby".....instead of commenting on his beauty, she just saw a price tag!!
So I yelled at her "No one ever says " Well that must have set you back a few bucks" to people who buy a baby from China do they?"
She responded with "Point taken" and shut up after that.....
Sure he is a cat and not a real human baby, but our family obviously treats him like a baby and you dont go up to someone with a stroller and start flying your mouth off about how much babies cost do you? You say "what a lovely baby/cat/stroller" and move on.....

Adventures of A Naked Cat

I know exactly how you feel, Alice has a stroller and she goes EVERYWHERE with me. And people always see her and start talking about how much money she must have cost and I want to hit them. Because just like you said, she's my baby! I don't care about the money she cost, the's my baby, not an object!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I must say one of the most uncomfortable questions I get is how much did it cost. It probably shouldn't bother me but it does. One reason is because people are amazed that I'd spend a thousand bucks on a cat and another is "why didn't you just adopt a needy cat". Well, I plan on adopting a needy cat within a year or two and as for the thousand bucks it's the best investment I've ever made.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Busy body's I hate them.
I just had a idea next time someone askes how much one of us paid for our cat we say like $8000, that should shut them up and keep them thinking:Wink:

Bella07

Banned
Wow, your pretty good at come backs! I would have been upset too.

The only animal that I have bought from a breeder was my Golden Retriever, and she was the cost of a high quality Sphynx. She's my baby. I love her to death! Sure, I spent a ton of money on a little puppy.....but, I love her to death, and the joy she brings to my life is priceless! Now, I just can't wait to add a Sphynx to my family to bring even more love and joy to my life! Price doesn't matter in the long run. It's the love that counts.

I hate how some people can just have explosive diarrhea spew from their mouth like that.

Those same people would not make a statement like that about someone's adopted child, or even make a comment to a stranger driving a nice car, or wearing a a designer suit about the cost. Honestly, they would probably not even make that comment about someone's nice purebred German Shepherd costing them a lot of money.

So what makes people just say the stupidest things about our Sphynx?!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just take it as jealousy and move on. I would try to find a witty comeback, but I am scared what might come out of MY mouth!! LOL

holly_savage

Banned
I hate when people ask that too. We have made a decision not to have children, and instead spend our income on our 'babies' and our lifestyle.

Why is it anyone else's business how we live our life and spend our money?

I agree, I think I will start telling people that we paid $8000 per cat...just to see their reactions!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know exactly how you feel, Alice has a stroller and she goes EVERYWHERE with me. And people always see her and start talking about how much money she must have cost and I want to hit them. Because just like you said, she's my baby! I don't care about the money she cost, the's my baby, not an object!

That is EXACTLY it! This lady was looking at Nofuratu, and talking as if he were an object...not a beautiful living, breathing being....it was so offensive!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well you told her!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL: Good for you. Nofuratu needs a mouthpiece to defend his beauty and existence. The way I look at it is that it costs me 5 cents a day to have love and happiness. NOW THAT IT DAD BURN CHEAP FOR A SPHYNX.:BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wonder what makes strangers think its ok to ask questions regarding financial matters and voice related comments out loud? No manners.

I like the $8000 answer. I have a feeling I will be using it sometime soon.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When people ask how much Pedda cost I just get a stupid look on my face and say "I don't know, she was a gift." Let them figure that out lol. She's a gift from God as far as I'm concerned so I'm not really lying. Plus I'm really hesitant to have people know how much I paid for her in case they get some crazy catnapping idea or something.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When people ask how much Pedda cost I just get a stupid look on my face and say "I don't know, she was a gift." Let them figure that out lol. She's a gift from God as far as I'm concerned so I'm not really lying. Plus I'm really hesitant to have people know how much I paid for her in case they get some crazy catnapping idea or something.
You got it - "A gift from GOD".

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
wow what a witch! Customers bring dogs into my store sometimes and one girl brings her cat in in the winter in her hoodie pouch. And i never ask how much did it cost. i know that they are their babies. I dont want kids either.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't get it...why do people see our sphynx cats and feel compelled to ask how much they cost (which I think is rude, by the way), yet people buy expensive dog breeds all the time (most of the purebred dogs out there are PRICEY!) and no one ever bothers them with rude "how much did he cost?" questions. It's as if people feel it's justified to spend a lot of money on dogs, yet it's not okay to spend any money on a cat (especially as you can get one "free" from the pound :Dizzy:). Every time people first meet Piglet, they ALWAYS ask me "how much did she cost?" I am SO tired of hearing that question over and over again! :Angry: I think I may have give them a ridiculous answer (like ilovemysphynx suggested) and tell then I spent $8000 on her! That'll shut them up!

I don't get it...why do people see our sphynx cats and feel compelled to ask how much they cost (which I think is rude, by the way), yet people buy expensive dog breeds all the time (most of the purebred dogs out there are PRICEY!) and no one ever bothers them with rude "how much did he cost?" questions. It's as if people feel it's justified to spend a lot of money on dogs, yet it's not okay to spend any money on a cat (especially as you can get one "free" from the pound :Dizzy:). Every time people first meet Piglet, they ALWAYS ask me "how much did she cost?" I am SO tired of hearing that question over and over again! :Angry: I think I may have give them a ridiculous answer (like ilovemysphynx suggested) and tell then I spent $8000 on her! That'll shut them up!

I always give people the death to you" look when they ask, I'm told I have good one. They leave it alone after that.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had a similar comment the other day, from the window cleaners!!! They had seen Mo through the window and when they came for their money they said 'He must of cost a fair bit, and what is he any way?!' How rude, nearly said it's none of your f****** buisness mate!

Back