Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rug burn-like scabs

maxwellb

Lairian
Hello all!

I recently brought my Sphynx home this past Wednesday, and we noticed these dark brown “scabs” developed on his hind legs, paws, and tail. It wasn’t like this when we got him.

What could this be?

We are using Fresh Step Simply Unscented kitty litter and also use Arm & Hammer extra strength baking soda in his first round of kitty litter but we swapped it out because we were nervous it was causing the marks/burns.
8C72D34E-C881-4E40-97BB-AFA10ADA8C21.jpeg

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congratulations on your new kitty.

Do you have any radiators on in the house? The marks look similar to the ones my Rankle gets when his skin comes into contact with radiators. We cover his favourite one with blankets but he's such a wrigglebutt they sometimes come loose and he ends up with scab-like marks which vanish in a few days.

maxwellb

Lairian
Congratulations on your new kitty.

Do you have any radiators on in the house? The marks look similar to the ones my Rankle gets when his skin comes into contact with radiators. We cover his favourite one with blankets but he's such a wrigglebutt they sometimes come loose and he ends up with scab-like marks which vanish in a few days.

We don’t have any radiators. He was sitting on my heating pad earlier today. Could just that little bit of heat caused that so quickly?

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We don’t have any radiators. He was sitting on my heating pad earlier today. Could just that little bit of heat caused that so quickly?
I'm afraid I don't have any experience of heat pads outside of reptile care but I'm sure other lairians here do (if I could remember who's mentioned them before I'd tag them but I can't, sorry). Hopefully one of them will chime in.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@maxwellb welcome to the lair family ! Happy Gotcha! what is his name? hope u get a chance to post an introduction thread.

does he sit on a cable box?
I would discontinue heating pad to rule that out.. also if you use those heated microwave discs they can be hot from my experience.

my first thought was Litter reaction? like mentioned is it the same litter he had at breeder?
is the arm and hammer scented? they can get reactions to scented litters.

I do use the fresh step Ultra unscented with my 4 with no issues. wondering if taking the arm and hammer out of the litter mix would help to see improvement?

did you share a pic with the breeder for their thoughts?
if you do a vet check, many of ask to rule out yeast or bacterial

following closely for updates

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Maybe it are scabs? Could be to irritation of the skin. Maybe due to the litter?

Sheldon13

Staff member
My vote is the heating pad.

My Ellie uses an 8 watt heater designed for continued use for animals and never had this problem. However, when she had her surgery a few years ago at the vet they did not consider her lack of hair and the heating pad they used burned her a little in the same spots as your boy. They healed nicely and quickly.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need