Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Runny poop!

kateoffthewall

Lairian
We've had Spock almost a week now and he's had runny poo everytime he's used the litter box, when we bathed him he pooed everywhere too. There was some blood and mucus in it too. It's getting tracked round the house as he's always managing to get his tail in it or step in it when finished! Any ideas what could be causing it? He has one portion of wet food and rest is dry food for the day, he also drinks plenty of water.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ooooh the famous and unwanted kitten diarrhea and poop feet & tails.

Did you go to the vet for a check up and did he do a poop test? Coukd be giardia or another bacteria.

Do you feed him the same as the breeder gave him? Cats are very sensitive to change of food.

If the vet ruled out giardia etc you can try to add pure pumkin to firm uo his poop

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have to say the pumpkin puree works wonders but it's difficult to find in the UK. We checked every supermarket in our town but nobody stocked it. My friend did find it in the next town where there's a nearby American air base so if you have one of those near you I'd start the search there. Failing that, Ocado stock it but you do have to make a minimum order of £40. I hope Spock's tum is better soon.

meandmytwo

Lairian
I would do all possible tests on poop.

Even with changing food and/or trying pumpkin and/or probiotics... if there is an infection of some kind those things will only mask it temporarily.

We went round and round in circles for months trying to firm up poops. I don’t even know why we didn’t take a poop sample in earlier than we did, but anyway, both my boys were found to have an overgrowth of bacteria that was causing the problem. Meds = problem solved for good.

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Hello @kateoffthewall and @Toa and Ross :)

I'm having the same issues with my 6 month old, Yudjin. He arrived from the breeder with healthy poop which lasted a little over a week. I noticed the difference in his poop after feeding him the diet I've fed Dublin for 2 years: raw rabbit or chicken (with bone/supplements added), Weruva canned and N&D kibble. Raw in the am, canned in the afternoon, then kibble in the evening. They both eat 3x per day.

I submitted a sample to the vet last week Friday, so the results SHOULD BE in by now...? My question is, what's next if everything comes back with no issues? Best kibble to feed? Best canned? ...or do I stick with ONLY RAW as a starter, then venture to something else?

In the meantime, @kateoffthewall I hope your little one gets better. I know this issue is frustrating as I'm going through the same thing you are

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
To help identify the source of the issue, you might want to give him just one kind of food at a time instead of 2. Maybe only one of them is causing the runny poo. It's definitely worth getting him checked at the vet to make sure it's not guardia or some other infection.

kateoffthewall

Lairian
UPDATE

I went to vets and had to pay for some stuff to solidify his poop even though I had bought a poop sample in and knew it must be something that wasn't to do with stress or food but noone would listen.
Of course it for worse, and had to go back to vets and spend a further £50 on antibiotics that shouldve been given on the first appointment. £25 of that was the 5min consult to tell me what I already knew
So now I'm very poor but Spock is now much better! X

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
UPDATE

I went to vets and had to pay for some stuff to solidify his poop even though I had bought a poop sample in and knew it must be something that wasn't to do with stress or food but noone would listen.
Of course it for worse, and had to go back to vets and spend a further £50 on antibiotics that shouldve been given on the first appointment. £25 of that was the 5min consult to tell me what I already knew
So now I'm very poor but Spock is now much better! X
Sounds about how vet trips go but at least it's resolved....best wishes going forward.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm a bit late to this one, but when reading your first post it instantly reminded me of what Butchie had last summer! He was really loose for a few weeks (I thought it was the immense heatwave at the time..!) but turned out he had an inflammation in the large intestinal area, and was right as rain after a week on antibiotics. I also took a poo sample to the vets, and were they interested in that.....no they were not! :ROFLMAO: But really pleased to hear Spock is doing better - it's such a worry when anything's wrong, but even more so when they're so little!

Back