Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SarahShambles

Lairian
:depressed: My poor sphynx has suffered from a bad tummy since we got him in October! Firstly he had suffered from cat flu when we picked him up that eventually cleared up but now it's constant runny stools he's been treated for worms and any other nasty things so that's ruled out...could it be food? He's on royal canine we recently bought wet food to go with his dry and once again extremely runny diohrrea! I feel so bad for him :((( apart from the bad tummy he's absolutely fine can anyone help suggest what I can do for him :( he's 5 months btw! Sarah x

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Get some pumpkin and mix it into his food or on its own that should help.

Just make sure is not the pumpkin pie filler kind

admin

Administrator
Staff member
:depressed: My poor sphynx has suffered from a bad tummy since we got him in October! Firstly he had suffered from cat flu when we picked him up that eventually cleared up but now it's constant runny stools he's been treated for worms and any other nasty things so that's ruled out...could it be food? He's on royal canine we recently bought wet food to go with his dry and once again extremely runny diohrrea! I feel so bad for him :((( apart from the bad tummy he's absolutely fine can anyone help suggest what I can do for him :( he's 5 months btw! Sarah x
When yo say any other "nasty things" were ruled out, what other tests or treatments did he receive? Its very common for kitten to come home with Giardia and most vets just try it to be safe. It can also come back as a false negative. Please read here about Giardia - http://www.sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-cat-with-diarrhea-giardia.3610/ Also food change can surely cause diarrhea, try stick with one type or brand of food. As @Lickleone said, pumpkin works great as long as there are no underlying health issues.

SarahShambles

Lairian
Hey thank you for the replies he was treated for giardia by the vet a few weeks ago and since then his stools have been healthy and firm it's only since giving him this wet food it's gone extremely runny I'm talking like almost water mixed with a little blood which has frightened me i wonder if he could be allergic to it as he was scratching himself a lot too!! I don't want to keep going to the vets like a paranoid person but would you recommend it in this instance? I'll buy some pumpkin today thanks in advance! Sarah x

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Stop the wet food and see if that helps then. He could be allergic to it. Rule that out first. There are so many other foods to try once you figure out that part of the puzzle.

SarahShambles

Lairian
I think that's what i'll do no harm in trying that first i guess! Have to see how the poor guys holding up when i get in from work :(

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, stop the wet food and see how things go for a week. If you want to reintroduce wet food, try a grain free variety, and just a small amount at a time to get him started. In the mean time on just the dry, make sure that he is drinking a good amount of water, as the dry food alone has a significantly lower moisture content.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had problems with the royal canin kitten being too rich for my last two kittens. I started mixing the special 33 for sensitive tummies in with the kitten food. They have the same protein source so it shouldn't upset your kit any more than what he is already.
If that doesn't work. It might be food allergies and will have to try a different protein source.

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My guy had trouble with RCA too. Terrible diaheara! Got a wee bit better with a grain free brand. Then a little more better when we eliminated dry food and the best now that we are feeding Raw.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kitten had poo issues until I started her on Acana grasslands. She also had some skin issues, and both problems have completely cleared up with the acana. It's a good grain free food and its primary protein source is lamb, which is said to be hypoallergenic. And she LOVES it.

littlecook

Lairian
I have a new kitten now that I feed a raw food diet. The breeder said that cats are carnivores. I feed him Blueridge Beef brand of kitten mix or kitten grind. They come in a chub or tube like ground beef does. I looked it up on line by searching for a local distributor under Blueridge Beef. My last Sphynx
Cat I had was 7yrs old when I got him and he always had diarreah. I wood feed him Science Diet aka Science Death by a breeder we buy the raw food from. I think if I would have put my Shacleton on raw food diet he would still be alive. Hope this might help.