Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

safe mosquito repellent

Alopecia

Lairian
I have a kitty who loves the outdoors but suffers the mosquito consequences. Does anyone know of a safe, natural repellent? I worry about her bites but know cats are very sensitive to chemicals and am apprehensive to try something unproven.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There isn't a safe repellant that I am aware of, and you may have to be careful about heartworms or diseases carried by mosquitoes. You might check with your vet.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Eat loads of garlic mozzies don't like it they'll leave you alone. If you google there are loads of natural things to use that are safe to use I find eating garlic is the best I never get bitten you don't have to eat loads to make yourself stink of it either

I just googled natural way to repel mozzies and look at number 1 lol

1. Catnip—You can drive cats wild and make mosquitoes run in terror, according to research at Iowa State University which found that the essential oil found in the herb catnip is about 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes.

2. Citronella—the old standby. Use only pure essential oil of citronella—not fragrance oil. Oils purchased in bulk for burning are not adequate for applying topically to your skin. For your skin it is best to get a high quality citronella essential oil from a natural food store. While it’s not as effective as catnip, it’s still a good option.

3. Garlic—eat lots of fresh garlic—mosquitoes can’t stand the stuff.

(See: 12 Surprising Uses for Garlic)

4. Lavender essential oil smells great and is a commonly used and effective mosquito repellent. It’s best diluted in a carrier oil like apricot kernel, sweet almond, or coconut oil. If you can find organic soy oil, it is also a good option since it also keeps mosquitoes at bay.

5. Neem oil or neem seed oil: According to a study by the US National Research Council neem oil is more effective than DEET. The results were confirmed by scientists at the Malaria Institute in India and in research cited in the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association. Neem is a plant that grows in India.

6. Organic soy oil—Research cited in The New England Journal of Medicine found that repellents made of soybean oil are just as effective as DEET-containing repellents. Soy oil is inexpensive and easy to find, making it an excellent choice. Plus, it is an excellent body moisturizer. As an aside, research shows that an ingredient in soy can slow the growth of body hair when applied topically. Choose organic soy oil if possible since many soy crops are now genetically-modified.

7. Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)—New research published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine shows that lotus is an effective mosquito repellent and also helps kill mosquito larvae. Since lotus grows in water it is a good option as a natural repellent in backyard ponds and water features rather than something that is applied topically.

8. Black pepper (Piper nigrum)—New research from the same study shows that an extract (the study used an alcohol extract but black pepper essential oil would probably work too) of black pepper is effective in repelling mosquitoes.

I mix about 30 drops of the essential oils of catnip, citronella, lavender, neem, and black pepper (total, so about 6 drops of each essential oil) into about 30 mL of an unscented and natural oil or moisturizer, which I keep handy in a jar. I rub a bit onto my skin prior to heading outdoors. You can also mix 30 drops of these essential oils into organic soy oil for extra protection. Always do a 24-hour skin test to be sure you don’t have sensitivities to any of the oils.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have a kitty who loves the outdoors but suffers the mosquito consequences. Does anyone know of a safe, natural repellent? I worry about her bites but know cats are very sensitive to chemicals and am apprehensive to try something unproven.
Eat loads of garlic mozzies don't like it they'll leave you alone. If you google there are loads of natural things to use that are safe to use I find eating garlic is the best I never get bitten you don't have to eat loads to make yourself stink of it either

I just googled natural way to repel mozzies and look at number 1 lol

1. Catnip—You can drive cats wild and make mosquitoes run in terror, according to research at Iowa State University which found that the essential oil found in the herb catnip is about 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes.

2. Citronella—the old standby. Use only pure essential oil of citronella—not fragrance oil. Oils purchased in bulk for burning are not adequate for applying topically to your skin. For your skin it is best to get a high quality citronella essential oil from a natural food store. While it’s not as effective as catnip, it’s still a good option.

3. Garlic—eat lots of fresh garlic—mosquitoes can’t stand the stuff.

(See: 12 Surprising Uses for Garlic)

4. Lavender essential oil smells great and is a commonly used and effective mosquito repellent. It’s best diluted in a carrier oil like apricot kernel, sweet almond, or coconut oil. If you can find organic soy oil, it is also a good option since it also keeps mosquitoes at bay.

5. Neem oil or neem seed oil: According to a study by the US National Research Council neem oil is more effective than DEET. The results were confirmed by scientists at the Malaria Institute in India and in research cited in the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association. Neem is a plant that grows in India.

6. Organic soy oil—Research cited in The New England Journal of Medicine found that repellents made of soybean oil are just as effective as DEET-containing repellents. Soy oil is inexpensive and easy to find, making it an excellent choice. Plus, it is an excellent body moisturizer. As an aside, research shows that an ingredient in soy can slow the growth of body hair when applied topically. Choose organic soy oil if possible since many soy crops are now genetically-modified.

7. Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)—New research published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine shows that lotus is an effective mosquito repellent and also helps kill mosquito larvae. Since lotus grows in water it is a good option as a natural repellent in backyard ponds and water features rather than something that is applied topically.

8. Black pepper (Piper nigrum)—New research from the same study shows that an extract (the study used an alcohol extract but black pepper essential oil would probably work too) of black pepper is effective in repelling mosquitoes.

I mix about 30 drops of the essential oils of catnip, citronella, lavender, neem, and black pepper (total, so about 6 drops of each essential oil) into about 30 mL of an unscented and natural oil or moisturizer, which I keep handy in a jar. I rub a bit onto my skin prior to heading outdoors. You can also mix 30 drops of these essential oils into organic soy oil for extra protection. Always do a 24-hour skin test to be sure you don’t have sensitivities to any of the oils.
Unfortunately no, there is no safe insect repellent for cats I am aware of, always see your vet for suggestions. Essential oils and garlic are also toxic to cats specifically. This thread explains the details - Safe insect repellent for sphynx

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Grow lots of catnip! It will serve a dual purpose. Clear out the mosquitoes and provide entertainment for the naked!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
PS: Thanks for the tip re garlic being toxic. I cook with a lot of garlic and routinely have a bowl of garlic cloves on the counter. I'll have to find a bowl with cover so my future nakeds don't make like Van Helsing. Oh the joys of Sphynx proofing... :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Xandria there are garlic cellars which are covered and store garlic so it breathes. Might google them...all different shapes/colors. Here is a pic of one. Nothing like keeping the kitties safe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1398609296.338095.jpg

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
PS: Thanks for the tip re garlic being toxic. I cook with a lot of garlic and routinely have a bowl of garlic cloves on the counter. I'll have to find a bowl with cover so my future nakeds don't make like Van Helsing. Oh the joys of Sphynx proofing... :)
We keep garlic and onions in a bowl on the counter, and so far Cleopatra and all our furry cats have totally ignored them. I don't think they are flavors that cats really go for. But, it never hurts to keep these things put out of reach! BTW, as far as Sphynx-proofing goes, you might want to install child-proof locks in lower cupboards if you do not already have them. We had to do this, even though our human child is 38 years old, because a certain Sphynxie girl decided that opening cupboard doors was the most fun thing to do in the middle of the night! We would get up to dry cat food all over the floor, plastic containers everywhere and the occasional broken glass bowl. The joy of being Sphynxie servants...sigh...

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@cleopatrabeers. Lol you are so right about "child proofing" besides the stove nob covers. Before we left for vacation, I wedged stuffed under the closet doors so Jouët would not open the closets for Azura to surf the tops and knock my stuff down. Not that she has ever done that before ...cough, cough, cough. I do not want BN& L on my case...

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Always be very careful before putting anything on your sphynx, wash them in or feed them.