Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Safety ideas for ledges

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Basically my sphynx loves climbing and jumping. Luna is really hyper and over the last few days I’ve had 2 close calls and one tumble over the edge of this ledge in my bedroom. She is okay as she landed 4 steps down. Although my fear is that this may have given her more confidence when leaping down. The other side of the ledge is some steep stairs with a considerable drop and no doubt at the lowest point would cause her serious injury. Luna is now expecting babies and I live in fear that she’s going to tumble over the edge heavily pregnant. At the moment we are shutting her out of the bedroom and keeping her out, although, I’m sure if you’ve got a sphynx reading this you’ll understand how hard that is due to their needy nature. It’s clear that she isn’t happy sleeping in her bedroom, she wants to be with me but I can’t risk her safety.

If you have any ideas on how to safety proof this, all our welcome. I want to make the bedroom cat friendly and safe for her. I am unable to do anything structural, like make it a full wall etc as it’s a rented property so please bare that in mind. If further photos needed please comment below.

Thank you for reading and hopefully giving me some ideas.

❤️

Attachments

• E426967D-2741-4D59-9BD6-E7CB6F8AEEB6.jpeg
    E426967D-2741-4D59-9BD6-E7CB6F8AEEB6.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 30

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 Can use some sort of netting or something similar using commando hooks , fasteners that don’t cause damage ?
Tagging @Sokal
Amd other members who have dealt with ledges and staircases

Congrats on Luna mum to be ...(((hugs n head smooches ))
Following for updates

Perhaps a google search for kitty proofing staircases.
I saw some interesting ideas

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
I was thinking of a net curtain that encompasses the ledge so she is unable to jump and also may look pretty and functional. Just wanna see if there are some other options first.

Either way last night keeping her out of the bedroom actually worked really well. Usually she wakes me up crawling all over me from 4:30-6:30AM, her feet somehow find my eye sockets whilst I’m half a sleep. Sometimes she’ll run up and down the stairs crying for me to follow and play. Last night, she slept all through the night, no crying and stayed nice and toasty. I have baby cameras which I use to watch her just incase.

Having a scan tomorrow to confirm pregnancy, she’s just over 4 weeks. But from her tummy and nipples I think she is, if so, really looking forward to having grandkittens!

Thanks for the great suggestions ❤️

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 keep us updated and positive vibes for her scan tomorrow

Had to laugh with you , why do they always find our eye sockets to plow over

Keep us updated
Hugs n head smooches!

****Just be careful with any material you may hang as for it not to be enticing like a big new blankie to explore and leap onto

Ya know how purview nakids think!

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Will do!
The lady who does the scan is coming to the house for it, minimise stress and have Luna in her own environment .

Or she has started pawing my lips open...or mouthing my face. She doesn’t do it any other time apart from when I’m sleeping. Soon she’ll have her own kids to bother lol.

I’ve got with a cat safety net which I’m going to connect from the top of the wall to the ledge over the stairs, it’s pretty heavy duty so fingers crossed that’ll at least stop her having a tumble.

Whilst at the shop I decided to see if they had any larger snuggly outfits as her tops won’t fit soon over her tummy. She seems pleased with my finds haha!
D46E0293-6FC0-4005-8F60-CD8B1BE77C9C.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 awhhhhh you are a great mum! So happy Luna can be home for her scan .... (((hugs ))
Amd yes , the lip thing! Yes same here, and my girl pecks sooo fast at my my nose too.
She has an appropriate gator outfit !

omg cute alarm ! Luna absolutely precious in her new outfits!
Such a good girl! Absolutely gorgeous!

Hope you can share pics amd a review of your stair ledge kitty proofing

Will be helpful to all members

Following closely for updates !

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Luna’s scan went really well, she squirmed a little but was really still most of the time.

Definitely pregnant, she is 5w 1d! No infections and all babies look healthy with nice sacks.

We counted three but suspect four. She is due 8/13/2019.

Will keep you updated on the cat proofing when it arrives.

Can’t wait to buy them all matching unicorn outfits haha.

Thanks for all the support <3
74D7A468-2D6F-47D0-9AD0-C27934C63EF7.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 great update !Congrats! Head smooches to momma Luna!
Omg I can just see them all in unicorn outfits !

So excited for you ... I bet the babies will have great personalities like mum!
( when little babes arrive , just a friendly reminder that breeders can post one pic of litter ... feel free to PM me lots of updates and pics when they are born and grow up! )

Hugs n head smooches!
So excited for you and Momma Luna !
She is gorgeous!

Keep us updated

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
How magical!

@Yoda mom
I’m curious, if the post is of one kitten specifically, say maybe that cat has symptoms of illness or something, can that go around the one littler pic post rule? I’m just curious about what happens if the person needs to post pics to get help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cleozmama

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was just thinking, until your safety net arrives, you might want to tape some inflated balloons to that ledge. Luna will surely dislike the sound of popping balloons. Good luck with your safety measures.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 here is s copy of the rules about one picture directed towards advertising selling prohibited .

“ Breeders are welcome, please do not post links to your site or other breeders sites on Sphynxlair. This is a place for Sphynx owners, not for advertising or selling of cats or kittens. No requests for stud or queen services.
• Posting pictures of litters with intention to sell on Sphynxlair is not permitted. Breeders may post ONE picture of a litter to share. More than one may result in deletion.”

It’s a fun friendly bunch and of course we will help in anyway if someone is having an issue with a baby or momma kitty often followed up with a reply and or PM from fellow breeders . We love all paws and want all babies and mommas to be healthy and to thrive !

@Lunasphynx1995 checking in on adorable momma Luna
Hugs n head smooches! So excited for you !
I have never seen a scan so it was really special for me to see. Thanks for sharing !

Last edited: