Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Salvating! Lots of it!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
My friend the other day, took her sphynx on a weekend trip to familys. He had traveled before and is a very good traveler and never gets nervous or scared. When she loaded him up in the car, he started salvating uncontrolably. He was dripping with drowl and did so for about 5 mins. Then he was fine and traveled fine. Then when the weekend was over and time to come home, he did it again as soon as she brought him to the car to go. Has anybody ever heard of this? She is real concerned about his traveling nerves.

Melodie

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Stormy would do that once in awhile.
Sadly to say it was caused by her kidneys and I lost her.
Can she take him to the vet?
They said my Stormy had ARF.
It also can be from being scared and other things.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Salivation can signal many things. Nervousness/anxiety would be one, as well as nausea.

If this cat continues to have problems, there are medications on the market that can help during travel. Using Feliway spray in the travel kennel can help tremendously.

Generally speaking, the more travel time pets that act like this get...the better they become with time. Hypersalivation (medically known as ptyalism) is not anything further than a symptom, in most cases, and usually doesn't cause any lasting effects.

myspecialboy

Lairian
Salivation can signal many things. Nervousness/anxiety would be one, as well as nausea.

If this cat continues to have problems, there are medications on the market that can help during travel. Using Feliway spray in the travel kennel can help tremendously.

Generally speaking, the more travel time pets that act like this get...the better they become with time. Hypersalivation (medically known as ptyalism) is not anything further than a symptom, in most cases, and usually doesn't cause any lasting effects.

Chadwick salivates like crazy when he is in the middle of a cuddle session. He will sit on my lap, purr, nudge my face, and drip saliva on me. He doesn's seem anxious or nauseated, but I don't know because Chad doesn't speak English...

PitRottMommy

Banned
Many cats hypersalivate when they're content. Many of them also suckle.

Because your companion isn't traveling or in a stressful environment, this statement doesn't apply to him. He is simply reverting back mentally to when his mother was still caring for him. It's not uncommon for very young kittens to hypersalivate to assist with forming a good bond with the nipple on their mother. Some cats, many that left mom too early, continue this behavior throughout their adult lives. Some do it no matter what their age. Some do it on humans only, some prefer to do this on other cats.

myspecialboy

Lairian
Many cats hypersalivate when they're content. Many of them also suckle.

Because your companion isn't traveling or in a stressful environment, this statement doesn't apply to him. He is simply reverting back mentally to when his mother was still caring for him. It's not uncommon for very young kittens to hypersalivate to assist with forming a good bond with the nipple on their mother. Some cats, many that left mom too early, continue this behavior throughout their adult lives. Some do it no matter what their age. Some do it on humans only, some prefer to do this on other cats.

I got Chad at 14 weeks and he does it on anyone who cuddles with him. It's been the one thing that will get me out of bed after my alarm goes off. It just drips out so much! He has tried to suckle on my belly once, but that was a long time ago. Now, he just licks the heck out of me.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Chadwick salivates like crazy when he is in the middle of a cuddle session. He will sit on my lap, purr, nudge my face, and drip saliva on me. He doesn's seem anxious or nauseated, but I don't know because Chad doesn't speak English...

Ha ha, just made me giggle, does he speak any other languages if not English?! :LOL:

Back