Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sardines? Good or bad?

Laulau

Lairian
Hello our lil laulau has had on and off diarrhea for almost a year he's only 1yr old but we have him on the hill science diet, wich the vet told us to put him on But we started feeding him 1-2 sardines a day along with his regular eatings, his poops have been hard and not nearly as smelly... I just wanted to know if organic sardines are bad in any way? It seems to be helping alot

Laulau

Lairian
Wow that's so awesome!! I guess we might be feeding him more then recommend with 1 sardine a day and I buy one that's in oil so I'll try to find some that are in water...i love them too so it's a win win!! Thank you so much for always being so helpful and caring!!
We are going to be getting a 2cnd lil guy here Dec 1st ...were wondering how the whole food thing is going to work since the lil kitty will be on his royal cannine food and our current 1yr old is on his special hills science diet food ...any suggestions??? We always keep kibble out for him so that's are main concern how to keep both different kinds of kibble out without them eating each others, the squishy food we give in morning and evening so that should be farley manageable but the kibble is the hard part....

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You read the coolest stuff on this site.

After reading this thread I bought some sardines for Cleo. I got a can of sardines packed in water but could only find ones with sea salt added. When I gave one to Cleo and she devoured it immediately. The wife is not very happy about the smell in the kitchen after she dragged it on the floor but it looks like a new snack for Cleo.

I found sardines in water no salt added at another store. Might have to give them to her outside in the future though.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You read the coolest stuff on this site.

After reading this thread I bought some sardines for Cleo. I got a can of sardines packed in water but could only find ones with sea salt added. When I gave one to Cleo and she devoured it immediately. The wife is not very happy about the smell in the kitchen after she dragged it on the floor but it looks like a new snack for Cleo.

I found sardines in water no salt added at another store. Might have to give them to her outside in the future though.
Hiya , can you not mash it up in a bowl ? That way she will eat it like her normal food
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

NakidSquad4

Lairian
What a great idea!! Can anyone tell me how long a. can should last once opened? Genevieve will be the only sardine eater. I would
love to be brave enough to try, but I've never been able to eat fish that has the head, eyes, etc.

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that it's raw food in general? Luna had such gross soft stinky poops until I switched her to raw. She gets a sardine a week (tinned packed in water is definitely best), the Omega fatty acids are great!
When she gets into the kibble at my sisters place, her poops are still much better and more solid and I'm thinking it's because she's still getting the raw food. (she will eat the other cats food and her own, she's a little piggie)

Lol at Cleo's table manners!

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What a great idea!! Can anyone tell me how long a. can should last once opened? Genevieve will be the only sardine eater. I would
love to be brave enough to try, but I've never been able to eat fish that has the head, eyes, etc.

I was curious about this too so I searched the internet. Most sites recommended a maximum of 3 to 4 days if refrigerated in a sealed glass or plastic container. If you freeze them they will last up to 3 months but the texture will be softer when thawed. We opted to refrigerate and usually the can only lasts about 3 days.

Back