Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sassy just started Raw food

Busera

Lairian
Hello all,

Thought i'd ask a few question regarding these new meal i'm trying on Sassy.

Firstly, when i had Sassy she had already been pooping loose stools and was given dry food by the vet. That was when we were in London. But i brought her back to my hometown here in Brunei and its gotten worst. Sent her to the vet and all they could give her was some diarrhea meds. Culture and other check ups were done in London and everything came back normal. After some readings and research on RAW food. I decided to try and make some for her. I've managed to find some Taurine tablets here, and the vitamins that were mentioned was mostly for humans intake.(is that actually ok to use?) i've tried to follow the right ingredients. But now for three days she loves it... her poop has improved by the texture but has turned black. Please advise me on what i've done wrong. Shes quite hot too but other than that shes active only during the evenings. Please help me.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

Thought i'd ask a few question regarding these new meal i'm trying on Sassy.

Firstly, when i had Sassy she had already been pooping loose stools and was given dry food by the vet. That was when we were in London. But i brought her back to my hometown here in Brunei and its gotten worst. Sent her to the vet and all they could give her was some diarrhea meds. Culture and other check ups were done in London and everything came back normal. After some readings and research on RAW food. I decided to try and make some for her. I've managed to find some Taurine tablets here, and the vitamins that were mentioned was mostly for humans intake.(is that actually ok to use?) i've tried to follow the right ingredients. But now for three days she loves it... her poop has improved by the texture but has turned black. Please advise me on what i've done wrong. Shes quite hot too but other than that shes active only during the evenings. Please help me.
Welcome! Have you had your kitty very long? Most vets will treat for Giardia to be safe even if the test results come back negative. Any food change can cause tummy issues. I'm not a raw feeder but I wonder if the black stool is a lack of something. Here is a great raw section with the proper ingredients and preparation methods that may be helpful. Also @Xandria is our local guru on raw diet, perhaps she can give some suggestions. :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi, @Busera. Welcome.

Yes, human grade vitamins and supplements are what you should be using for making raw food. I have a document here (Raw Cat Food Information | Sphynxlair) that lists various supplements with sample links.

Every Sphynx seems to be a little different with their poops. Some have too hard poops, some too soft, and some just right. It seems to be a Sphynx thing. Max's would be a little on the soft side if I didn't add 1/8 of a teaspoon of psyllium husk to one of his meals every day. It's not much, but it keeps his poops perfect. Others use pumpkin (pure canned pumpkin, not the pie filling) instead of psyllium.

You say the stool is black... how black? This may be gross to some, but can you take a picture and post it? Is it smelly?

What exactly are you feeding Sassy (which protein and what additional nutrients in which amounts)?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Their poop color will vary depending on what they eat... when I feed them chicken, it is much lighter in colour than when they are eating red meat. Molly and Leo's is almost black, after it is dried in the box. When it is fresh, it is very dark brown. I agree, take a pic and share LOL.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Their poop color will vary depending on what they eat... when I feed them chicken, it is much lighter in colour than when they are eating red meat. Molly and Leo's is almost black, after it is dried in the box. When it is fresh, it is very dark brown. I agree, take a pic and share LOL.

Max's is VERY dark given his diet of camel, venison, and kangaroo.

And treats might have an impact.

But if it's relatively dry/firm, not smelly, not accompanied by blood or other fluid, it should be okay.

I know pepto bismol will turn your poop black, so check your medicine cabinet and Sassy's breath for freshness. LOL Sorry. ahem.

Back