Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sassy + one?!

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
Jordan and I have recently talked about adopting another hairless blessing to give Sassy some more company during the day, him and I both work and Sometimes she wont see one of us for a whole day! Then when we get home we are so exhausted we only have a little bit of time for play and snuggles. It's been a little better lately because I am now only part time at VS rather than full time and some days we have all day to snuggle and play. We live with my mom and family so it isn't as though she is alone all day we just think that she might enjoy having someone to play with.

I guess the point of this thread is to ask wither or not you guys think that Sass is still to young to introduce her to another sphinx living in the house or if she would be ok? I don't want her to think or feel that she is being replaced or pushed to the side at all!

My younger brother recently lost his bearded dragon to a URI and he really bonded with Sassy and found some comfort. So we also thought about getting him a sphynx for Christmas and then maybe Sassy wouldn't feel so put aside by another kitten.

She is only 7/8 months right now and I really don't want to cause her stress!! Sorry this got so long... I got carried away! if you have any thoughts on what I should do then please share!! Thank you in advance!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is definitely not too young, in fact while she is still a kitten I'm sure she would especially love a playmate. :)

I find the younger the cats, the easier the introduction is. We introduced 6 months old Alfie to 6 months old Dippy, and it went well. I am so glad we did it.

What I would say though is that I would recommend spending some time looking for a great breeder. I remember Sassy was so young to come home and not from a breeder. I won't tell you what to do but having the support of a great breeder is priceless, and you get the peace of mind from knowing the kittens parents have been scanned for HCM and their breeding lines are solid.

Getting someone a cat or dog for Christmas is a big responsibility, depending on your brothers age. I would make sure that he is willing to make the commitment, or just get another baby for yourself rather than as a gift :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
The breed is very social and usually younger cats/kittens do better than older cats when a new cat is introduced. I agree with @zoinks do not rush, do your research and find a good breeder who promotes the welfare of the breed...and you feel confident will be a great companion.

Patti

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
Thank you both for the input! I have recently gotten to know a utah based breeder who I have talked to deeply about how her sphynxs are kept and the environment and such.
It's good to know that at such a young age she may still do good with another.

nudebea

Lairian
Hi there. As a fairly new sphynx owner, we became the proud parents of two bald and beautifulls this year, I dont have as much experienced advice as many of the other members. We got my boy Wilson in Feb and after quite a lot of research including advice from the sphynx association here in England, we got Kiwi in May. Shes Wilsons half sister. Wilson was 7 months when we introduced him to Kiwi , who was 15 weeks, and although he did bully her a little during the first week (one of us was always at home to supervise) things have worked out fine and they zoom around the house and snuggle up together, although, I guess like any siblings, there is the occasional altercation. I wasnt a Larian at the time so couldnt ask for advice from here, but the general advice I was given is its probably better when they are young. Hope that helps and good luck

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SassyTheSphynx , I am sorry about your brothers loss of his bearded dragon... I am glad Sassy gives him comfort...

I think Sassy is a great age for a companion - Are you considering a male or female? Will the the new companion be spayed/neutered?

IMHO, pets as gifts can be great .... keeping in mind, age of recipient , life changes growing up , vet costs, increased time and maintenance etc.. really think about the long term commitment and who has the ultimate responsibility of care.. As long as everyone in the household is on the same page :) I would say go for it :)

More than one kitty is double the time of everything ...from loving, playing, care, cost, cleaning etc
They are great company in pairs plus but still thrive on the human attention and love- I get all four adoptees on my lap and shadowing me everywhere like a little herd to play and "help" me wth whatever I am doing-

Sounds like you found a breeder you are comfortable with and are researching - please don't rule out adoptees or retired breeders - as you have seen on the Lair there have been many loving forever home adoptions-
My adoptees range in ages 1 to 4 years old and they get along great -and came with combination of paperwork, registration paper, HCM scans and all up to date on shots and vet checked- and at a fraction of their initial cost-
Time love and patience -- research what is best for the whole family and Sassy-

She is a sweety and I am soo glad you gave her the love and care she deserved- your a great Sphynx mum

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
@nudebea @hairlessblessing @yodamom
Thanks to all of you for the good advice and encouragement!
And while today I have thought about it lots I was wondering if a playmate could help with her rotten attitude she's had lately? She has become more aggressive and bitey I guess you could say. She doesn't nibble anymore, it's full blown bites and claws! If she had a play mate would it maybe help her because she could play fight with another Sphynx who understands?

My younger brother is 13 but very meticulous for his age, he has severe OCD and so pets have always helped him cope and even lessen his panic attacks. Today his second bearded dragon passed away as well and now his stress is at an all time high. I took him in sassy when I told him about his dragon and he immediately just held her and cried, and she just loved him and let him. I really think that a sphynx could be a good thing for him and help him through the things he needs help with.
Any thoughts on what to do? I'm at a loss now and I hate to see him this way but I also want to consider sassy and how she will do.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can only see positive things for Sassy.

I think she will play (claws and bites) with a new cat friend instead of you guys, but you should still deter her from biting humans. There have been a few threads on here recently with some advice on this. (firm NO, hissing, re-directing to other toys)

I think it would be good for your brother, as long as you are willing to help. Cats live a lot longer than beardies. As he grows up, goes to college, etc. You should be prepared to take over if he is not able to at any point :)

nudebea

Lairian
Im sorry to hear that your brother lost his other beardie. They are lovely little things. Although Wilson does love to race around with Kiwi I find that they both still crave our human attention so thats double the hugs, kisses time out for play and....grooming so double the demand on our time. Wilson did go through a" bity, scratchy stage" which drew blood, although more play than aggression, and when he did this we just stopped the play and walked away. It seems to be easing a bit now (hes 10 months ) not sure if it might have been a puberty thing ?? (he has been neutered) .By the way, is it possible to ask your brother how he feels about another sphynx ? x

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SassyTheSphynx , awh my condolences to your brother on his second loss- too much for one heart- maybe you can explain rainbows bridge to him where all the animals are free and whole again playing together, beardies too, watching over us ..

Have you tried redirecting play with a kicker type toy?Mine love the cosmic cat nip banana and fish - keeps claws n teeth off me! Stern hisses only pump up my fresh Toby - we have made kicker toy time when he gets that look-

You have to consider too Sassy's personality right now and Of adding a new kitty will lead to stress/ fighting? IMHO, getting a kitty to play fight is not a good idea- Lots involved with a new kitty

Perhaps your brother will bond even more with Sassy - she has been his rock thru his losses-
Maybe you can teach him how to redirect train play with Sassy so she is less fresh. The can be a magical bonding experience for him - he may only want Sassy as his best buddy

Lots to think about - keep us posted :)

Last edited:

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
Thank you, I'll tell my brother you guys care.
We did talk to him about a week ago how he felt about there being another sphynx in the house and he said he wanted one and would like to have his own. So I guess time will tell.

We have tried redirecting Sassy to other spots or toys but she will follow us and try climbing our legs or joint on us from the top of the couch. I sure do hope that it's a puberty thing she is trying to get over! It also doesn't help that Jordan plays rough with her, it only promotes the behavior and I do not approve.
She hasn't gotten any new toys in a while, maybe I'll stop by petsmart and grab her one or two and only use them when she acts bad to try and catch her attention and redirect her.

I agree with you @yodamom we shouldn't get one for that purpose. No one ever should! But do you think that the company itself would be a good distraction and maybe even stop this behavior all together because she will be so curious of the little one?

There definitely is a lot to think about and consider! But you guys have given me some awesome advice! Thanks so much for all your input! @nudebea and @zoinks and @yodamom

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SassyTheSphynx , my Toby is a1 yr old freshy! When I adopted Yoda and Batman they run like a herd together- he is still the fresh one - I think teenage brat :)
All four are snuggled together on the bed right now -

He didn't get less teenage fresh getting another sphynx(s) he is still a freshy! And ignore him and walk away when he thinks he is going to get rough play - I tell him be nice " Toby Love" he knows and rolls over like he is an angel

SassyTheSphynx

Lairian
@yodamom well after much talking and thinking Jordan and I have decided that we need to wait until we are living on our own to get sassy a sibling.
If my parents decide to get my brother a sphynx then that's awesome! But Jordan and I can't afford to do that for someone else at the moment.
Thanks so much for your input and support!

nudebea

Lairian
What ever your decision good luck for the future. But the cost certainly is a consideration. We are certainly spending more now we have two of the little bald beauties .xxxx