Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Saying Hello!

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
Hello all!

I thought I'd introduce myself, as I have been reading this forum quite a bit lately and I'm so grateful for everything I've learned here!

I fell in love with the Sphynx breed a while ago, and finally decided I would take the plunge! I'm currently in the very early process of finding a kitten. If it wasn't for this community and all of the information on reputable vs. non-reputable breeders I may have very well made a huge mistake and purchased a kitten from a local breeder who has given me so many warning signs! Not only do they not scan for HCM, but the breeder assured me that any health problems the cat could possibly have would present within the first year (which is how long her health guarantee is). I've been getting bad vibe after bad vibe and reading posts in this community has convinced me I should search elsewhere and be patient in order to adopt from a reputable and responsible breeder, so thank you very much!

If there are any tips on sourcing out breeders, please let me know! There doesn't seem to be many Canadian Sphynx breeders in Manitoba, and all I can think for finding breeders is Google!

Excited to see such a large, wonderful, and positive community here!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you have found the community helpful. Looking forward to seeing you become an active member. Good luck in your search, and kudos to you for researching.

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
I've happily placed a deposit on a kitten!! It will be a few weeks before she can be flown to me, but I'm so very excited! Every time the breeder sends me a picture I melt, I'm already completely in love with her.

I'm having a much better experience with this breeder, thanks again to the whole community for all the education on what to look for in a breeder!

Now to start thinking about names

NakedMeko

Lairian
I just sent my deposit yesterday to an amazing breeder in San Diego (I'm in Los Angeles.) I was searching for almost a year because I didn't want the kitten to have to fly on a plane, so I only searched locally. This was very limiting...but SO happy I waited! This stunning girl is only 8 days old, but she will be mine end of August. I am nervous, but SO freaking excited. I did not sleep at all, and I suspect that I probably won't until August - haha! I am so grateful for this site. So far the names I have are: Suki, Sunny, Yara, Dita (Dita Von Tail) Ruthie, Simone, Talia, and Violet.

Also, I am hoping to have her become a Therapy Cat.

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
I just sent my deposit yesterday to an amazing breeder in San Diego (I'm in Los Angeles.) I was searching for almost a year because I didn't want the kitten to have to fly on a plane, so I only searched locally. This was very limiting...but SO happy I waited! This stunning girl is only 8 days old, but she will be mine end of August. I am nervous, but SO freaking excited. I did not sleep at all, and I suspect that I probably won't until August - haha! I am so grateful for this site. So far the names I have are: Suki, Sunny, Yara, Dita (Dita Von Tail) Ruthie, Simone, Talia, and Violet.

Also, I am hoping to have her become a Therapy Cat.

How exciting for you, congrats! I also really like Suki <3

I really like the name Luna (like Luna Lovegood, yup, I'm that kind of nerd), but I think there might be a Luna cat on this forum already. I hope she doesn't mind sharing her name!

NakedMeko

Lairian
I love Luna too! It was on my list initially, but it's so popular I removed it. Suki is popular too...it's hard to find unique names. I like to know the meaning of each name to help me decide :)

NakedMeko

Lairian
Thank you! I feel so fortunate to have found an amazing breeder. I tried contacting a few rescues, but they were all rehomed - and all adults. In So. Cal. Most of the responsible breeders are in San Diego.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@EnAyKayIDee , retail therapy is fun awaiting gotcha day!
Feel free to share pics of you Sphynx stash!

Amd of course updates on your baby and name ideas
Is the name Luna sticking om the top of the list ?
I recall when I would keep pen and paper (lol old school)
On my nightstand so when I woke up with name ideas I would wrote them down

Very excited for you and look forward to updates!
Feel free to ask any questions

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
@Yoda mom I think the name Luna is sticking!

Gotcha Day is officially July 7 and I cannot wait!

So far I have a covered cat bed, small scratching post (going to hold out on a bigger cat tree for now), food and dishes, litter box and litter, everything for spa days including nail clippers, ear cleaner, shampoo and scrubby gloves, some treats, a laser pointer, and of course da bird ;)

I have lots of blankies and looking at some heating pads online (my AC is super effective haha)

I'm trying to contain myself from getting more until I know her personality and everything better. Someone might be sending me some sweaters too that their nakey-baby has since grown out of. Of course if there are any recommendations and tips let me know! This feels so different from bringing home a farm cat when I was little :ROFLMAO: I can already tell she's special :love:

IMG_20180625_153350.jpg IMG_20180625_153129.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@EnAyKayIDee , so exciting! Looks like you have a purrfect gotcha day stash !
Let me know how the Orijen ?Acana ? (I used to feed the Canadian formulas but now in the US we have to get their Kentucky plant new formulas ), the Stella and chewy , BFF etc are for your baby !
That's one special spoiled baby girl! Those are favs here too!
Love the cst be damd really nice scratch post!
I lashed my scratch post on its side lol by accident when I hit it with the vacuum-
They actually preferred it on its side so they could st as on it like a tree trunk for a good long stretch scratch :)

Keep the updates coming as well as the name update :)
Ps I really like the nail clipper you got with the finger thing - those work great!

Back