Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scabby Rash On Chest & Armpits - Help!

humungbean

Lairian
Hi! I’m a little lost and need some help. When my cat was little, I used to bathe her every few days with unscented hypoallergenic pet shampoo and then rub her down in coconut oil and all of that. She’s had rashes in her armpits and on her chest since as long as I can remember. I went to the vet once or twice about it and they gave me a useless ointment that didn’t help. Eventually I started to realize that she didn’t really get dirty that fast at all, and that I was overdoing it so I started to bathe her less. I thought maybe that would help the rashes because maybe I wouldn’t be irritating them. Now I bathe her about once a month, and she doesn’t ever get oily or anything, her skin seems healthy and clean and only eventually gets a little grimey in her armpits and between her toes mostly. Ive been spot cleaning her a lot because I don’t want to irritate the rashes. I also of course clean her ears and eyes and nails and nails frequently I just eased up on the bathing. The rashes don’t seem to bother her at all, she doesn’t seem to notice them (which is weird cause they look painful), but I want to figure it out and fix it. I’ve had her for about 3 years and I’ve experimented with a couple different kinds of litter (using unscented arm and hammer right now). I’ve also used unscented hypoallergenic laundry detergent for most of that time but I’m back using tide now. I’ve always fed her Taste of the Wild trout and smoked salmon flavor cat food because a vet recommended it years ago, I haven’t switched that up. It could be that. I’m just a little confused because her rashes look different than the ones that I’ve seen on here. Anyone seen this kind of rash before? Any helpful suggestions would be very very appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• FD69B521-B33B-49C6-AE55-D1CC3D23D469.jpeg
    FD69B521-B33B-49C6-AE55-D1CC3D23D469.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 6776626C-0D7F-4BB5-84FC-D66E8C28DEDC.jpeg
    6776626C-0D7F-4BB5-84FC-D66E8C28DEDC.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 214

Yoda mom

Staff member
@humungbean , Welcome to the lair family
Is she your avatar pic? What's your adorable babies name ?

I switched to Hylt shampoo ( soap free hypoallergenic ) sold on line - I get at chewy - sold at my vets office too.
I dont over bath to let the skin do its natural thing .
I personally do not rub down with coconut oil - the Hylt shampoo keeps their skin perfect with my 4 nakeds .
For litter I either use dr elseys litter unscented in the blue bag or
Petsupermarket's odor destroyer unscented very similar to dr elseys .

Many of us keep on hand vetericyn spray for any skin stuff
I Aalto found the vetericyn VF formula online - it's supposedly stronger than the plus formula.
I have used both the sprays and the gels . I like that they are non toxic .
Vetericyn animal wound & skin care products are safe for all animals

A.ways check with your vet before using any products

Always best to get professional vets diagnosis just to be sure
To rule out anything

I am sure members will chime in with suggestions and their experiences

I look forward to your journey with us

Will be checking in for updates often

Head smooches sent

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@humungbean welcome to sphynxlair. Is the rash on her tummy only? Then maybe it's caused by the catlitter. Did you try to switch to another catlitter? Don't know if this is causing the rash but this is the first thing that crossed my mind

4Beans

Lairian
We had the worst luck with pet shampoo. The last one we used came recommended and my boy broke out in the worst rash/rusty polka dots. I’ve switched to Dove Baby with great luck and stopped using coconut oil which was also irritating his skin.

Maybe trying switching up his cleaning routine to see if it helps?

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Odd, the scabs almost look like she could be scratching herself. I hope someone who’s had experience with something like this chimes in! My only guess would be an allergy to something making her itch (maybe the litter).

humungbean

Lairian
Hey Yoda Mom,

Yea thats my baby in the avatar pic, her name is Karen - fancy name for a fancy lady. Thanks for the suggestions! I just ordered some Vetericyn VF and I'm excited to give it a try. It seems to have great reviews. Also thanks to everyone else for all your help and suggestions!

- Sophia

@humungbean , Welcome to the lair family
Is she your avatar pic? What's your adorable babies name ?

I switched to Hylt shampoo ( soap free hypoallergenic ) sold on line - I get at chewy - sold at my vets office too.
I dont over bath to let the skin do its natural thing .
I personally do not rub down with coconut oil - the Hylt shampoo keeps their skin perfect with my 4 nakeds .
For litter I either use dr elseys litter unscented in the blue bag or
Petsupermarket's odor destroyer unscented very similar to dr elseys .

Many of us keep on hand vetericyn spray for any skin stuff
I Aalto found the vetericyn VF formula online - it's supposedly stronger than the plus formula.
I have used both the sprays and the gels . I like that they are non toxic .

A.ways check with your vet before using any products

Always best to get professional vets diagnosis just to be sure
To rule out anything

I am sure members will chime in with suggestions and their experiences

I look forward to your journey with us

Will be checking in for updates often

Head smooches sent

Yoda mom

Staff member
@humungbean ,
Hi Sophia and Karen

Love your avatar pic of Karen phone you get s chance to share more pics of the Lady
She is darling

I have been using the Vetericyn VF formula for about a year
Very pleased with it
(It's supposedly more potent )
I have used it on both kitties and dogs

I also have used the vetericyn VF eye wash with good results too

Look forward to Positve updates!

How is Karen today?

Sheldon13

Staff member
I also think it looks like little scabs from scratching. I would start by changing up her diet. Litter allergy would be my second guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigelthomas

Lairian
How’s your baby doing. This looks so similar to what Nigel Thomas gets. It’s goes away and comes back. I can’t seem to ever get it under control.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@humungbean , checking in on Lady Karen
Look forward to Positive updates

Healing vibes n heads smooches to gorgeous Lady Karen