Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scabs and red, bumpy skin

CharmCat

Lairian
So I'm noticing that my girl Charmayne has scabs around her neck, probably from scratching, and little pinkish bumps as well. I keep her nails trimmed and she had a scratching post which she uses daily so I'm thinking the scratching is not the occasional scratch. Then I also noticed more bumps on her body like on her head, shoulders, and thigh area.

Please respond with any help you may have! I'm planning on going to a vet (in El Paso, TX)
IMG_20150217_230119.jpg
IMG_20150217_230415.jpg
but kinda feel they won't help much since I'm the only Sphynx client they have :/

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Can it be an allergic reaction? It looks a little like an allergic reaction I saw at a sphynx once. This sphynx turned out to be allergic to coconut oil.

The link catzzzmeow gave you will give you great advice.
Hopefully you'll find out what the problem is!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Skin issues suck to try and get figured out. My first guess would be an allergy to something. Try to rack your brain if anything has changed that she comes into contact with. Detergents, treats, anything. Maybe ask the vet about something like benadryl to see if it takes them away?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm noticing that my girl Charmayne has scabs around her neck, probably from scratching, and little pinkish bumps as well. I keep her nails trimmed and she had a scratching post which she uses daily so I'm thinking the scratching is not the occasional scratch. Then I also noticed more bumps on her body like on her head, shoulders, and thigh area.

Please respond with any help you may have! I'm planning on going to a vet (in El Paso, TX)View attachment 56024 View attachment 56025 but kinda feel they won't help much since I'm the only Sphynx client they have :/
Great advice thus far, have you changed anything recently, food, litter or shampoos? Keep us posted on the vet visit. He will most likely prescribe an antihistamine.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Elfie had a similar rash about a month ago now and her's was from pressing and rubbing on our heating vents.
Given your in Texas I'm not sure that would be the case but ...

CharmCat

Lairian
Sorry, it's been a while since I've logged back on sphynxlair. Well, here's the update on Charmayne. Looking back at the pictures I posted in February, her bumps have looked worse and much better :/ I know that's not much to go on but I've been switching everything: the dog's food to grain free, the detergent to Tide free and gentle, using sensitive skin baby wash, and consulting with 2 different vets!:dead: I'm thinking of switching her litter, I use Blue Buffalo Herbal Attraction - a walnut based litter, to something else. I even considered her having a heat rash and used calamine lotion only on her head. So far she doesn't look as itchy but the bumps are still there :/ With my luck, she could be allergic to my dog:shifty: It's very disheartening and breaks my heart to find that I'm running out of ideas. I'm pretty sure it's an allergic reaction but the hard part is finding out what:arghh:

The first pic is her at her worst- I took her straight to the 2nd vet that day
2nd pic- A week or so after the 2nd vet visit
3rd pic- What she looks like tonight

Attachments

• IMG_20150418_100621.jpg
    IMG_20150418_100621.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_20150423_105959.jpg
    IMG_20150423_105959.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_20150506_000516.jpg
    IMG_20150506_000516.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 453

OnyxSphynx

Lairian
Sorry, it's been a while since I've logged back on sphynxlair. Well, here's the update on Charmayne. Looking back at the pictures I posted in February, her bumps have looked worse and much better :/ I know that's not much to go on but I've been switching everything: the dog's food to grain free, the detergent to Tide free and gentle, using sensitive skin baby wash, and consulting with 2 different vets!:dead: I'm thinking of switching her litter, I use Blue Buffalo Herbal Attraction - a walnut based litter, to something else. I even considered her having a heat rash and used calamine lotion only on her head. So far she doesn't look as itchy but the bumps are still there :/ With my luck, she could be allergic to my dog:shifty: It's very disheartening and breaks my heart to find that I'm running out of ideas. I'm pretty sure it's an allergic reaction but the hard part is finding out what:arghh:

The first pic is her at her worst- I took her straight to the 2nd vet that day
2nd pic- A week or so after the 2nd vet visit
3rd pic- What she looks like tonight
Hello, Are the skin conditions --- hives, dermatitus, food allergies, ringworm -- contagious to humans? Thank you.

Back