Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scabs/rash?

Melishia

Lairian
Hi guys,

My recently adopted sphynx Marvin seems to be developing scabs and tiny bumps on his skin around his neck and mouth. Also, small observation, he seems to have a few blackheads around his mouth.
Its been exactly a week since I noticed them. Here's a short history on Marvin. Hes roughly six years old and we adopted him from the SPCA at the end of September. He was a filthy little boy when we got him and now he gets weekly baths.
His new routine is a weekly bath (warm water with a few drops of dawn dish soap). I start by rubbing a bit of unscented coconut oil on his chest where he's the dirtiest (heard it lifts the dirt) and then he gets in the water. I wash him with dove baby shampoo (vet's suggestion).
Those are the only products his skin comes in contact with.
2 days before the scabs started he got vaccinated and the vet recommended a new food for dental care. He loves it but I'm wondering if it might be causing the issue.

Have any of you had this issue or seen this? I'm worried he might be in pain with the scabs around his mouth. Poor guy.

What do you guys think?
Screenshot_20181028-210803_Gallery.jpg

20181028_202349.jpg
20181028_205448.jpg
20181027_190446.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

My recently adopted sphynx Marvin seems to be developing scabs and tiny bumps on his skin around his neck and mouth. Also, small observation, he seems to have a few blackheads around his mouth.
Its been exactly a week since I noticed them. Here's a short history on Marvin. Hes roughly six years old and we adopted him from the SPCA at the end of September. He was a filthy little boy when we got him and now he gets weekly baths.
His new routine is a weekly bath (warm water with a few drops of dawn dish soap). I start by rubbing a bit of unscented coconut oil on his chest where he's the dirtiest (heard it lifts the dirt) and then he gets in the water. I wash him with dove baby shampoo (vet's suggestion).
Those are the only products his skin comes in contact with.
2 days before the scabs started he got vaccinated and the vet recommended a new food for dental care. He loves it but I'm wondering if it might be causing the issue.

Have any of you had this issue or seen this? I'm worried he might be in pain with the scabs around his mouth. Poor guy.

What do you guys think?View attachment 88435

View attachment 88432View attachment 88434View attachment 88433
Yes, ours get these same little marks all the time. Usually its from scratching that area with their nails. Also, bathing so frequently can actually cause them to become dirtier believe it or not, we go months without bathing. Pet shampoo, if possible is always best being the PH in the kin is much different in a cat then a human. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Agree it doesn’t look like an allergy to me either. The scratch by the mouth, mine get that from rubbing up against stuff and we had a boy that would get it along his neck and chin from rubbing across stuff as well.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Also, keep in mind that unlike hairy cats, they don’t have fur to protect them from scratching and rubbing against things. :)

Melishia

Lairian
So just keep it clean and let it heal with time? The vet suggested a sweater for the ones on his chest and neck. I ordered one online. Hopefully it'll make a difference once it gets here!

Back