Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scar/wound after spay?

Elaina

Lairian
Do you guys think this is healing normally? My friend (who has many cats) said it just looks like scar tissue.

She did have dissolvable stitches in, but on her checkup visit to the vets, they removed most of them as I told them she had been pulling at them with her teeth. (She was determined to pull/grab them out)

It's not pusy or leaking or bleeding. If anything it just looks puffy, not sure if I would use the word swollen. She doesn't seem bothered by it anymore and is eating and drinking normally?

15eybrq.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/15eybrq/8

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Are you talking about the bump on her side? This was from being spayed? Spaying is on the tummy. Please clarify and perhaps another pic might help. I expected a belly shot, so your pic has thrown me off.

Patti

Elaina

Lairian
It's a flank spay, the wound on her side is from her spay and the vet chose to do it on the side. Not sure if it's a UK vet thing?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Hmmm. Interesting. All of the female cats I have ever owned were always spayed through belly. I am I treated to see if any other UK members have had it performed this way. Maybe you can email a pic to your vet so they can see it.

Sometimes a bump after being spayed can be from a hernia. I don't know if that could be the same for a flank spay.

Patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had 2 cats spayed when I lived in the UK and they didn't have this bump come, though all cats react different I guess...

I agree with Patti it's worth checking it's not a hernia.

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have 2 sphynx and am in UK. Both were spayed on their tummies. I did have one of the first sphynx in uk 16 years ago and she was spayed on her side but that seemed to be further back than on your pic. No lump tho. Strangely as she was black, her innards were also black and not pink as the vet had expected. Weird!! I'd just check with vet tho to be on the safe side.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That is a new one on me. Never heard of a Flank spay. But, it looks like it needs to be checked.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys think this is healing normally?
If ever in doubt always see your vet. On that note, it looks just like a tummy incision that I have seen many times that appears to be swollen, sometime larger then others. See this thread - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/spay-question-never-seen-before.26934/#post-324476

I found this information for this wondering.

Flank Spay

A flank spay is an alternative method of ovariohysterectomy in which the incision is made on the left side of the body (the flank) rather than on the midline of the abdomen. The spay procedure is essentially the same, and the same reproductive organs are removed with both procedures.

What are the advantages of a flank spay?

Because the incision with a flank spay is on the side of the body, the incision is easier to monitor from a distance. If a cat is nursing kittens, a flank incision is not near the mammary glands and is more comfortable for the mother post-operatively. The incision is less likely to become contaminated if the cat is not able to be kept in a perfectly clean environment following surgery. If the spay incision breaks down after surgery, protrusion of vital organs through the incision is less likely with a flank incision.

What are the disadvantages of a flank spay?

The scar from a flank spay will be covered with hair and will not be easily visible (if performed on a hairy cat), which can lead to difficulty identifying a cat as previously spayed. Occasionally the hair will regrow in a slightly different color or pattern following a flank spay.

When will flank spays be used by a veterinarian?

The decision of whether to use a flank incision or midline incision is at the discretion of the surgeon. This decision will be based on several factors, including health of the cat, weight of the cat, age of the cat, reproductive status of the cat, and proficiency with the technique. Obesity, poor health, pregnancy, pyometra (uterine infection), estrus (in-heat), and age younger than 12 weeks are all reasons a flank spay will not be performed.

Are there different post-operative instructions for a flank spay?

The post-operative instructions are the same as those for a midline spay.

Last edited:

nudebea

Lairian
Hi there I live in the UK and had my girl spayed in July. The incision was on her flank and tiny. Now you really have to look to see any evidence of a wound.Very neat.

Elaina

Lairian
Thanks all for your advice. Just to let you know I took her the vets and it was infected, it exploded the night before on my arm. The vet had said I did a good job of draining it. Turns out there was the end of the stitch stuck in the wound. So antibiotics and water and salt soaks and hopefully it will heal soon.

Thanks again all!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Elaina , so glad you had her checked- we know she is in the best of love and care -
(( speedy recovery hugs))))

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm glad your baby is okay--infected incisions are no fun at all. We had a couple of furry cats that were spayed through the flank. The vet who did this said he liked doing it because he could "hide" the incision in a wrinkle. That way the cat couldn't chew at her stitches as easily as with a belly spay. And, like @nudebea says, the healed incisions were barely visible.